Is Reel to Reel Worth it to you at $450 or $500 a pop?

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
To me this is a pointless question

Like is a $500 dollar bottle of wine worth it
Is a Lamborghini worth it

Worth is not an absolute, other than to say a $500 tape is worth $500 to purchase

Worth in terms of value to enjoyment ratio, or value compared to what else u could do with the $500 really depends on your priorities and disposable income

So my wine friends would say $500 on a good red is worth it but on tape ridiculous

My wife would say 500 on shoes is worth it and 500 on red wine ridiculous

To me 500 on a mastertape seems like a bit of a bargain if you have the playback, as these are rare collectables

Sonically they are amazing

So if you have the spare cash and repro gear why not?

But frankly it’s a pointless argument/question

My father used to say, something is only worth what people are prepared to pay for it....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing