What is "USB done right"? Does USB have a sonic signature?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Some folks, who are really into digital, say to those still using SPDIF or AES connections: "You haven't really heard USB until you have heard it done right!".

Yet at the same time we all have heard a slight variation of the above quote - "doing DSD right", "doing tubes right", "doing SS right", etc. Despite the proclamations, ones preferences for the sound of a particular technology usually triumphs.

Does USB have a sonic signature, like tubes vs. SS, analog vs. digital, or DSD vs. PCM?

Are people talking about subjective elements of USB or is this purely a technical subject?

What exactly does doing USB "right" mean?

Hifi Boy

Sep 16, 2017
Honestly, I'm not sure what done right means, but there sure are differences between different USB cables.

Just recently, I purchased a Hugo 2 and its stock USB was clearly inferior to a Moon Audio Silver Dragon which I also bought additionally. The change was not night and day but you could tell the difference. The Moon Audio cable was cleaner sounding.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Unfortunately, there are a lot of things that can affect SQ with USB, including:

1) USB computer or server port quality
2) playback software APP and even the rev. level - particularly if it uses the OS software stack or has a poor volume control DSP function
3) computer or server power supply
4) USB cable
5) Background apps running on the computer
6) USB interface on the DAC or converter - the Master Clock and associated circuits, whether it is galvanically isolated, does it use the power in the USB cable and if so, is there a better supply available for that, does the interface have good power delivery to keep the jitter low, is the implementation good (no cuts in the PC board ground-plane etc...

With everything else the same, it's usually #6 where you will hear large differences.

This is one of the reasons that I have started offering Ethernet interfaces in addition to an XMOS USB interface. There are still a few hoops to jump through to get optimum SQ, but much less than with USB IME.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
1) USB computer or server port quality
2) playback software APP and even the rev. level - particularly if it uses the OS software stack or has a poor volume control DSP function
3) computer or server power supply
4) USB cable
5) Background apps running on the computer
6) USB interface on the DAC or converter - the Master Clock and associated circuits, whether it is galvanically isolated, does it use the power in the USB cable and if so, is there a better supply available for that, does the interface have good power delivery to keep the jitter low, is the implementation good (no cuts in the PC board ground-plane etc...

An excellent list. Once the music reproduction through usb, or for that matter any other interface becomes independent from those factors, one may claim it has been done right.

Perhaps a dac with a large enough buffer to store entire albums may be such a solution. Especially if the time to fill up the buffer is not excessive. Only this will kill an entire industry for interface improving devices :)

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
USB done right, I haven't heard it yet, not if you compare it to the best CDP sounds quality. Remember USB was never in intended for high quality audio, it was to connect cameras and small ext drives etc. Yes Ethernet wasn't either but it was designed for fast data flow over long distances.

Possibly there is another connection that is even better? I2S? Dunno. A new one may be designed in the future, and if it is, then at least it will be designed just for high quality audio, not some hotch botch multi connection fits all.

My opinion, drop USB altogether.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
My opinion, drop USB altogether.

My experience has been the opposite. For all it's faults, I've found USB sounds better than very high end compact disk players (the last time I did a head-to-head the then top of their line 800 series Meridian transport), and, the user interface is considerably better. YRMV

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Some folks, who are really into digital, say to those still using SPDIF or AES connections: "You haven't really heard USB until you have heard it done right!".

Yet at the same time we all have heard a slight variation of the above quote - "doing DSD right", "doing tubes right", "doing SS right", etc. Despite the proclamations, ones preferences for the sound of a particular technology usually triumphs.

Does USB have a sonic signature, like tubes vs. SS, analog vs. digital, or DSD vs. PCM?

Are people talking about subjective elements of USB or is this purely a technical subject?

What exactly does doing USB "right" mean?

Good subject, but you are mixing apples and oranges in the question. We can not compare digital to analog conversion or amplification, that result in different electrical waveforms that sound subjectively different, with digital transmission, that results in equal digital contents and is theoretically perfect.

IMHO the USB does not have a sonic signature per se - but in practice asynchronous implementations have a wide margin of variation and non-predictability, and noise from them leaks to the DAC's, subjectively affecting sound quality.

Ethernet has signals of very different bandwidth - probably for technical reasons it is easier to deal with their noise or maybe it simply has a spectra of noise that does not affect the DAC so much. It is not difficult to design a box that converts USB in Ethernet - would it still have an USB signature? :confused:

Berkeley Audio have a separate box to convert USB in AES/EBU - should we consider it "right" USB? I used it with Devialet and it sounded subjectively better than the Devialet USB implementation when using just a cheap portable PC as a server - never tried the top optimized servers.

Another big obstacle to establishing rules is that the DAC performance is strongly dependent on the system where it is connected - and our systems, even non tweaked ones, are far from uniform in terms of ground and noise.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
An excellent list. Once the music reproduction through usb, or for that matter any other interface becomes independent from those factors, one may claim it has been done right.

Perhaps a dac with a large enough buffer to store entire albums may be such a solution. Especially if the time to fill up the buffer is not excessive. Only this will kill an entire industry for interface improving devices :)

It is not only jitter at fault, so the buffer might help, but not fix it entirely. The DSP functions and noise across USB interfaces is also the problem. Common-mode noise is definitely a factor in USB interfaces that are not galvanically isolated. There are quite a few filters available. I even sold one for a long time.

Ethernet has both transformer isolation, although not perfect, and packet buffering with error checking. It is also less likely that the player software uses the audio stack in the OS. That is the reason that it is less problematic. It still has the jitter issue. Some of us have dealt with that effectively and others have not.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
An album sized buffer implies the interface can be disconnected during playtime. Neither incoming jitter, nor CM noise can then be an issue. Or OS/player. But there is the inconvenience of waiting for the buffer to fill up.

As for jitter using async usb, cannot see how incoming jitter can be an issue at all. The galvanic isolators with the ridiculous and dramatic cuts in the pcbs otoh... not so sure they isolate cm noise at all.

Ethernet is probably a better kludge on the road to buffer play than usb but the issue of keeping the listening space clean from rfi remains. I routinely switch off routers/switches whenever LPs get played and the improvement is not subtle. Even though all power supplies are linear.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
My experience has been the opposite. For all it's faults, I've found USB sounds better than very high end compact disk players (the last time I did a head-to-head the then top of their line 800 series Meridian transport), and, the user interface is considerably better. YRMV

I believe that good USB can beat virtually any CD transport, but it takes a bit of effort and the right choices in USB interface, USB cable computer, server and software.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Berkeley Audio has a separate box to convert USB in AES/EBU - should we consider it "right" USB? I used it with Devialet and it sounded subjectively better than the Devialet USB implementation

This is not unexpected. The Berkeley is a galvanically isolated XMOS-based USB interface with separate power supply. My own XMOS-based USB interface is also galavanically isolated. This eliminates the common-mode noise that I talked about in my list above.

The XMOS interface will always sound better and the galvanically isolated interface will usually sound better than the typical USB interface. Not to mention the other design features like low-jitter clock and associated circuitry.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
An album sized buffer implies the interface can be disconnected during playtime. Neither incoming jitter, nor CM noise can then be an issue. Or OS/player. But there is the inconvenience of waiting for the buffer to fill up.

CM noise is still an issue. It's essentially ground-loop noise on a differential signal. The OS can change the data, which can be audible, both by DSP and changing the offset.

As for jitter using async usb, cannot see how incoming jitter can be an issue at all. The galvanic isolators with the ridiculous and dramatic cuts in the pcbs otoh... not so sure they isolate cm noise at all.

Internal jitter is the problem here, not jitter on USB.

Ethernet is probably a better kludge on the road to buffer play than usb but the issue of keeping the listening space clean from rfi remains. I routinely switch off routers/switches whenever LPs get played and the improvement is not subtle. Even though all power supplies are linear.

Buffer play of the type you describe is only useful if you are playing an album. If you are playing 1000 tracks, it will overrun or underrun.

The alternative is a clocking system that "brackets" the nominal frequency by clocking slightly higher and lower to keep the FIFO from over or underrunning. The problem with this solution is that the clock will never have the low jitter of a fixed free-running master clock. There are already devices like this out there and I have measured their jitter:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154498.0

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Last edited:

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
The OS can change the data

The OS? You mean a naive user using the OS sound system? It has been trivial to achieve bit perfection for a long time...

As for the digital pll clocks, after a bad experience with a Si570 i have discarded the idea of an adjustable clock, at least for the time being.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
The OS? You mean a naive user using the OS sound system? It has been trivial to achieve bit perfection for a long time...

As for the digital pll clocks, after a bad experience with a Si570 i have discarded the idea of an adjustable clock, at least for the time being.

The one I measured is not a PLL clock, it is a bang-bang bracketing clock. I also designed a product like this, prior to my Synchro-Mesh reclocker.

Bit perfection has nothing to do with offset.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
"USB done right" is ethernet direct to I2S. :b

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing