211 valves: please share your experiences

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hi,
your Kagura is not an amp,is a SPECIAL SUPER amp,so is out from this thread

Your comments often make me smile. You are such a character Gian. I like Italian more and more.

Tang

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Hi,
your Kagura is not an amp,is a SPECIAL SUPER amp,so is out from this thread.

I compare Audio tekne Yamato with 211 vs Audiotekne TM 9502 with 6A7Sg,and this was more transparent,natural and faster,then i compared FAL with Ongaku and FAL with 2A3 was much more transparent than Ongaku,My friend had for some years M 1000 MK II and Shinden and Souga,and we tested many times with different cartridges and Souga was more dynamic and fast than Shinden
and also AIR TIGHT 211 is not a fast amp
All this amp i found with my 4 speaker and with Tannoy Autograph and Yamamura Dionisio always little heavy in mid bass

Thanks for this additional explanation, Gian.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
This is true,there are very special amp for me,like Kagura,that i haven't the money to buy,CH M1,Lamm M3,Costellation and Dartzeel 458,Audiotekne TM 9502,plus other i don't know

And for the pentode tube i prefer also amp with EL 34 or 84 than 6550 or KT 88

@Tang,try to organize in 2019 a summer holiday with your family in Italy,you will like

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I had some top amp with 211 but i don't like a lot this tube.
Sure are amazing amp with natural sound and good power,but i always found little slow,little roll off and little heavy on mid bass with bass not perfectly correct.
And i had with Audiotekne horn speaker 3 way,woofer Altec 416 and mid and tweeter ALE DE 4550 and 1710 and later with Audiotekne monovia carbon block with super tweeter ALE DEP 1750
and tried also with EV Sentry III with Yamamura super tweeter and Montagna.

I had Yamamura mono with external power supply,push pull of 211,then bought 2 times Gakuon,first Ongaku with volume in front and rca on top,Ongaku,Ongaku KSL,ANUK Jinro
Audio tekne Yamato mono,
View attachment 38328

n
and i tried Air tight 211 and listen many times from my friend Gakuon II ( Shinden ) with M1000 mk II and all has this kind of sound.
I had different tubes 211,like RCA,GE,Amperex,ecc

I like much more amp,that i had, with 2A3 and 6AS7G like FAL,a fantastic Japan Integrated by Furukawa,KIOM from Italy,now owner of Riviera,ANJ Neiro Silver and Kegaki,same of Neiro but with silver trans,Kondo Souga and Audioteke tm 9502

View attachment 38329 ,

even if the only problem is the power because they have from 6 to 11 watt,even if Souga with 8 watt and Audiotekne with 11 watt with their top pre seems to listen a 50 watt amp.
With this amp,for me and my experience sound is much more natural,transparent without roll off
If i will buy a tube amp i will check only amp with 2A3,for me

Regards to everybody
Gian

Nice compare

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Are these 4242 valves fully interchangeable with 211 tubes? That is, can they be used with any 211 amplifier?

I am asking because - for example - I understand that the (Telefunken) RS237 valve is not fully interchangeable with the 211. Thought seriously about the former tube for my Kagura’s but did not dare to take that step.

gian60 has completely lost me... lives on a different planet obviously!:)

Anyway, yes, is the answer. See STC 4242. It is a 10V, 3.25 amp tube and when biased correctly will work in the Kagura monos.

Now try and find a quad. Not so easy. I've just been looking around and things have been drying up badly since I used to collect 211s. Very badly indeed.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
gian60 has completely lost me... lives on a different planet obviously!:)

Anyway, yes, is the answer. See STC 4242. It is a 10V, 3.25 amp tube and when biased correctly will work in the Kagura monos.

Now try and find a quad. Not so easy. I've just been looking around and things have been drying up badly since I used to collect 211s. Very badly indeed.

Thanks. Any idea in which area(s) these STC 4242 valves might beat the (top notch) 211 tubes and whether the differences for the better are profound, Justin?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Scarcity of good 211s is a real worry for all of us, it seems. I only have real experience of the ‘48 GEs on my NATs and thankfully these seem in “reasonable” supply. But, a few years down the road...?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Thanks. Any idea in which area(s) these STC 4242 valves might beat the (top notch) 211 tubes and whether the differences for the better are profound, Justin?

Nope. But I will say I easily hear the difference between the different types I have. So they will be different. Whether they are different with a blend of qualities you appreciate in your system is another matter. That said I still heard the differences that I hear in my system in that recent 211 compare I linked to earlier in completely different circuits with different speakers. Interesting indeed.

You do need to be a bit careful I think as there's a real temptation to hype the unobtanium. Claiming that something that is super rare is amazing can, to an extent, go uncontested. A sort of cruel wind up, so to speak.

Marc - I suspect the GEs will last longer than you keep your amps. Get a spare or two just in case, but it wouldn't surprise me if I am right.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Nope. But I will say I easily hear the difference between the different types I have. So they will be different. Whether they are different with a blend of qualities you appreciate in your system is another matter. That said I still heard the differences that I hear in my system in that recent 211 compare I linked to earlier in completely different circuits with different speakers. Interesting indeed.

You do need to be a bit careful I think as there's a real temptation to hype the unobtanium. Claiming that something that is super rare is amazing can, to an extent, go uncontested. A sort of cruel wind up, so to speak.

Marc - I suspect the GEs will last longer than you keep your amps. Get a spare or two just in case, but it wouldn't surprise me if I am right.

I agree with your warning regarding hyping the unobtainable. Furthermore I am told that the (quality of the) input tubes (in my Kagura’s anyway) are more important for the sound quality than the (quality of the) 211 valves. Some claim that the same applies for the rectifiers (2 x 4 in my case). Not sure about the latter; have not experienced with various gz34 tubes. The former (input tubes are more important than 211 valves) makes much sense to me.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Personally I've always found power valves make more difference than any other type of valve in a power or integrated (all valve) amp. Markedly so.

Many don't agree with that viewpoint. But TBH I think they're just plain wrong!:)

It's a hobby. Don't take it too seriously. We need to accept other people's opinions even when we think they're wrong.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) You do need to be a bit careful I think as there's a real temptation to hype the unobtanium. Claiming that something that is super rare is amazing can, to an extent, go uncontested. A sort of cruel wind up, so to speak. (...)

Unfortunately there are many forms of unotainium in this hobby, rarity because of obsolescence is just one. One other that is often seen in this hobby is very restrained manufacture, distribution or no public exhibition.

Anyway the problem is not the unotainium hype itself, but the easy temptation of comparative hype. Although I understand and appreciate that hype is part of the fun in this hobby, the often seen need of permanently comparing unobtainium with easily available products, particularly with much more expensive, can be tiresome. All IMHO, YMMV.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
We can dream, I guess. The q is, are there many more amps using 300B tubes than 211 tubes? If there are, and it’s tight to make 300B production profitable, than what chance high quality new production 211s?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Next on the WE list will be the KT88 or 6550 I reckon as they were going to do one a few years ago. Why? Because American muscle amps take an absolute mass of them.

There are a lot of contemporary 211s available, though. Just search ebay. I wouldn't like to say they were all a disaster. I heard ELROGs in a AN Tomei, followed by a brief switch to the PsVane WE211 repro (which really doesn't look like the original). It really didn't sound any better or worse than the ELROG in the brief comparison I heard. But it was too brief to make any conclusions. The owner thinks they're good, though. I leant him some RCAs and GEs and he didn't want to pursue either any further. He preferred the GE by the way.

So there we are. Really, just buy what you fancy and see what you like.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
What might be worth a mention is that the KR 211, like early 211s, uses (very unusually for current production) metal plates. Not the same metal as the STC, though, I'd bet.

It does sound markedly different to all my carbon plate NOS jobbies. Whether you like it or not is another question, but I'd describe it as relatively bright, dynamic (as in alive sounding with very good portrayal of detail and a lively bass). However, the mid range sounds relatively "thin" compared to the Amperex 211s which is tonally an easier listen and arguably a lot more natural.

They are well made and aren't cheap. Worth considering if you feel your system sounds a bit thick and lacks life, and indeed worth considering just to roll in when you want a change in presentation. Fighting the familiarity breeds contempt aspect that afflicts so many in this hobby, and it is one of the reasons I use valves in all stages of my playback system.

Obligatory KR manufacturing video.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have a ANJ Ongaku built by Kondo San. The best tubes are the RCA’s, they are getting very hard to obtain. United’s are nearly impossible. NOS GE’s are very good, but not in the RCA category. I have no experience with modern 21’s.

Jon, what speakers do you use the amp with? And what's your analog set up?

Norway

Mar 26, 2022
Im new to the wold of 211 tubes. One of my tube sets just says 211 on them. No stamps or any other clues to what and where they come from. Can anyone help? IMG_7482.jpeg

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Looks Chinese to me.. Shuguang.

Reactions: mtemur and Glide3

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I finally found four Amperex 211s closely matched/tested. They will be arriving this week. I will be running the Amperex in my Kagura mono amps. Also have two RCAs on the way for the Ongaku. I've been running GE's in both the Ongaku and the Kaguras. Looking forward to the RCAs and Amperex.

I also just set up the TW/Red Sparrow on my VYGER Atlantis and it has rejuvenated me:)

• Love
Reactions: mtemur and bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing