Repro head direct out on a Tascam 42NB

panreels

Aug 28, 2016
Now it seem like every time some one mention a new tape deck (machine) they just got the first question is, is it set up for external preamps, or what type of outboard repro preamps are you going to use, like this is what you need or should do, I like using the existing stock repro amp if it sounds good or could sound better with a re-cap or upgraded component, unforanitly this Tascam 42NB has a double sided repro circuit board and can not be easily fixed.

Since there seems to be a lot of interest wiring tape deck for external preamps I thought I would share some photos of how I converted my Tascam 42NB, I wanted to retain as much of the original operation and not chop up the internal wiring so I could easily put it back to stock if I wanted to, I did this by disconnecting the repro head cable plug connecters from the mother board and made a jack stand to plug head cables into and connect to the RCA plugs, this way I save the original cables and plugs, no unsoldering or cutting wires (see photos)

I don’t have a tape preamp to test what I did and check if it’s going to work okay, so I used an MC phono preamp and it worked quite well, the EQ wasn’t right but it had plenty of volume and there was almost no hum, so now I have to find a preamp that will work with Low impedance heads (20 ohms on a volt/ohm meter) and I want to use the stock heads Like mentioned on a previous thread, I would welcome any question or comments.

Attachments

• Pic1.JPG
    Pic1.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 127
  • pic2.JPG
    pic2.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 120
  • pic3.JPG
    pic3.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 123
  • pic5.JPG
    pic5.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 122

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing