UK music sales figures 2017

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Makes interesting reading. Vinyl still selling well, albeit the top 10 are mainly legacy titles, but downloads and CDs plummeting. Streaming surging ahead propelled by youngsters if you view the titles and this doesn’t account for YouTube figures.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42541440

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Makes interesting reading. Vinyl still selling well, albeit the top 10 are mainly legacy titles, but downloads and CDs plummeting. Streaming surging ahead propelled by youngsters if you view the titles and this doesn’t account for YouTube figures.

Interesting, streaming will be probably a mass market leader, Tidal is not mentioned in the report though.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tidal, Hi Def, MQA, probably less than 1% of the whole market. Not of any consequence to the unwashed masses, hence not to this report. Vinyl is only mentioned because Millenials are buying it (not often to actually play, but for the artwork, collectability).

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Tidal, Hi Def, MQA, probably less than 1% of the whole market. Not of any consequence to the unwashed masses,

Totally agree .... but my guess would be waaaaaaaay less than 1%. And I now am part of the less then 1% and have quit purchasing physical discs. Tidal Hi Def streaming may or may not be as "perfect" as the physical media but more than good enough for these old ears. And lots of fun. I find myself listening to lots of 70's groups where I might already have much of their music on my sever but not all of it. I do hope Tidal survives !!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

As for CD sales "plummeting", percentage wise the decline is much less than than of downloads in the graph's timeline, from 2013 to 2017. Pop music sales on CD are probably way down, but as I perceive it, for classical music and jazz the CD medium will remain relevant for some time to come. The standard medium for new releases in those genres is still CD.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
As for CD sales "plummeting", percentage wise the decline is much less than than of downloads in the graph's timeline, from 2013 to 2017. Pop music sales on CD are probably way down, but as I perceive it, for classical music and jazz the CD medium will remain relevant for some time to come. The standard medium for new releases in those genres is still CD.

but classical music and jazz sales have been dead for years.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
but classical music and jazz sales have been dead for years.

Which is hardly the point. Are we now in a popularity contest? Does the newest pop queen make Bach, Beethoven or a great contemporary composer irrelevant, just because more teens stream her records?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Which is hardly the point. Are we now in a popularity contest? Does the newest pop queen make Bach, Beethoven or a great contemporary composer irrelevant, just because more teens stream her records?

Yes, I'm saying its irrelevant in today's music business decision as to stream vs cd. And most classical is streamable ironically

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Yes, I'm saying its irrelevant in today's music business decision as to stream vs cd. And most classical is streamable ironically

Well, obviously in classical and jazz today's music business decision as to stream vs cd doesn't follow the popularity contests of pop. Otherwise new releases would not routinely be put out on CD.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

Jazz and classical may not be dead but they are on a ventilator. The great composers will maintain their place in history books and as you note only a few of todays artists will be remembered in another 50 years.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing