What were the first three albums you bought?

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
In the days of your youth, What were the first three albums you bought?

KISS Alive
Boston Boston
Led Zeppelin The Song Remains The Same

It all gets very blurry after that! :cool:

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I started buying vinyl in 1967. The first one I bought was BEATLES '65. Then a few weeks later SGT PEPPER. I believe the third was JIMI HENDRIX - AXIS: BOLD AS LOVE. I bought about a dozen that year.

GT Audio Works

Industry Expert
Feb 12, 2015
Stockholm NJ
www.gtaudioworks.com
Simon & Garfunkel.....Bridge over Troubled Water
Aerosmith ................Toys in the Attic
Neil Young.................Harvest

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I got my first stereo/record player in 1960 and while I don't recall the specific albums from that long ago, the music did include large orchestral works, big bands, and music by Buddy Holly, Ray Charles, Frank Sinatra, Neal Sedaka, etc. What I do remember was going to record stores, searching through the bins AND being allowed to take the record into a small enclosed booth and play some of it.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
What I do remember was going to record stores, searching through the bins AND being allowed to take the record into a small enclosed booth and play some of it.

We are of the same era, I NEVER remember being able to do that ?? What record store would allow you to remove the cellophane wrapper and play the record ? Sorry I'm not buying it .......

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
We are of the same era, I NEVER remember being able to do that ?? What record store would allow you to remove the cellophane wrapper and play the record ? Sorry I'm not buying it .......

You can choose to not buy it but that doesn't make it untrue !!. We didn't get to listen to LP's but 45's (not stored in cellophane) that were set aside for that purpose. This took place in southern California.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
In the old days, records didn't come in cellophane wraps. You could take the record out of its sleeve and play it in the store. I think they were mostly singles.

One of my first albums was Judy Collins second album - Golden Apples of the Sun in 1963. I saw her in a little club in Joliet IL - maybe the summer of 1963. There were about 15 people in the club (didn't hold more than 30) and there was a two drink minimum (ice cream sodas - no alcohol). Just Judy and her guitar.

First album at college was the Beethoven nine symphonies with Karajan - a nice box set - in the fall of 1963. It was $18.95 for the 8 record set. Then I realized I needed to buy a turntable to play it (and headphones and amp to listen to it).

My very first single was Andy Williams singing Canadian Sunset - late 50's. It was a 78.

Larry

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
You can choose to not buy it but that doesn't make it untrue !!. We didn't get to listen to LP's but 45's (not stored in cellophane) that were set aside for that purpose. This took place in southern California.

In the old days, records didn't come in cellophane wraps. You could take the record out of its sleeve and play it in the store. I think they were mostly singles.

One of my first albums was Judy Collins second album - Golden Apples of the Sun in 1963. I saw her in a little club in Joliet IL - maybe the summer of 1963. There were about 15 people in the club (didn't hold more than 30) and there was a two drink minimum (ice cream sodas - no alcohol). Just Judy and her guitar.

First album at college was the Beethoven nine symphonies with Karajan - a nice box set - in the fall of 1963. It was $18.95 for the 8 record set. Then I realized I needed to buy a turntable to play it (and headphones and amp to listen to it).

My very first single was Andy Williams singing Canadian Sunset - late 50's. It was a 78.

Larry

OK guys I know that as well but the OP asked about 'albums' , and if your an old fart like me a 45 single is not an album !

regardless, it's all good !

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Early sixties paper route and snow shoveling money.

Have Twangy Guitar will travel - Duane Eddy
Johnny and the Hurricanes
The Ventures

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
In 1955 I was listening to French albums on the platine of my grandma.
In 1968 or 69 I bought my first TT with my own money.
Before that I bought a receiver with 8-track integrated.
It's hard to tell which were my first LPs, it took me by storm, everything from the Beatles to Charles Aznavour to Cat Stevens to Jesus Christ Superstar to Black Sabbath to Jean-Pierre Ferland to the complete classic composers collection to King Crimson to Creedence Clearwater Revival to Raoul Duguay to Robert Charlebois to Jethro Tull to Yes to the Doors to the Stones to Zeppelin to Gilles Vigneault to today.

- The Beatles Revolver.
- The complete Classic music collection, all the famous composers...12 albums.
- King Crimson first album.

Happy New Year!

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
This is going back into the mid-60s, but I think Chubby Checker with the Twist, and The Jet was the first. Then Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels was next. After that it is just a haze of Stones, Jimmy Hendrix, Led Zep, Blue Cheer, etc.

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
The first got to be this one:

Concertos in Contrast
Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra, Zubin Mehta

Picked it up for the Haydn trumpet concerto because I wanted to learn to play trumpet for the school band in high school back in Hong Kong. Even remember the record store I got it from. According to Google Street View, the whole area near that store is unrecognizable now as it's been totally rebuilt. Not surprising as the same happens to every location of significance from my childhood.

The cover above is for the LP. The CD reissue looks totally different:

Came across one at the local used CD store a couple years back. Just had to have a digital copy too.

No clue what my second and the third album was by the way :)

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Mr Lucky
Abraxas
Hot Buttered Soul

PierreB

Jan 15, 2011
Rimouski, Quebec
I just remember the first one.
It was in 1978, and I were 24.

Attachments

• 37115049-06B9-4540-8E2C-4B47AFB88662.png
    37115049-06B9-4540-8E2C-4B47AFB88662.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 92

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
  1. gentle giant-octopus
  2. genesis-foxtrot
  3. traffic-when the eagle flies
  4. genesis-selling england by the pound

oops!!! sorry, me too 4 records :rolleyes:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Ha! My fourth was Comes Alive! That album captures a magical moment in time. It just does, don't know why as his studio albums are horrible and unlistenable, but that live album performance is amazing. Have to admit publically I downloaded the HD Tracks version.

Probably a few here who dig it but wont admit it! :cool:

Aside from the classical music listed here I am pretty heavily vested in the rest of the listed albums.

Number 5 was Aerosmith Rocks.

From there I cant remember.

Last edited:

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
My first three albums were actually Cassettes. I believe the year was 1983 and I was 10yrs old. Made some money on the sides washing dishes at a local restaurant where another family member worked.

I believe this is the actual order to:

1. Def Leppard - Pyromania
2. Iron Maiden - Killers
3. Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Ha! My fourth was Comes Alive! That album captures a magical moment in time. It just does, don't know why as his studio albums are horrible and unlistenable, but that live album performance is amazing. Have to admit publically I downloaded the HD Tracks version.

Probably a few here who dig it but wont admit it! :cool:

Aside from the classical music listed here I am pretty heavily vested in the rest of the listed albums.

Number 5 was Aerosmith Rocks.

From there I cant remember.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that. I have Frampton's Camel, Frampton and Winds of Change and those LPs are just fine. There's nothing wrong with the recordings and/or pressing quality, and IMO the music is quite accessible.

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Neville Brothers - Yellow Moon
Grace Jones - Nightclubbing
Duran Duran - Decade
I think

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing