Any Soundsmith Straingauge cartridge owners out there other than me?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Andrew, the Straingauge was set up pretty carefully by my dealer who has had many years’ experience of top analog installs. The only parameter that is a real PITA on this arm is azimuth, since the arm wand needs to be totally seperated from the sled/gantry, adjusted, and then reinstalled, with associated need to reset VTA/VTF, a real trial if azimuth needs several goes to get right.
My frustration is more treble definition and extension which I think is not an azimuth issue.
So, I believe I have VTA and VTF sorted, I’m pretty close to settling on Zus spkrs subs settings, and other parameters like spkrs toe in and seating position seem close to optimal.
I still have to contend with burn in and opening up of new stylus, new energiser electronics, two new psus w assocd pwr cords and fuses, new arm mount and unipivot points, new tonearm wire RCA plugs, new preamp tubes, effects of tt on Stacore, balanced transformer on Rollerblocks/Stacore, and so I know this is all a “how long is a piece of string?” scenario.
What’s frustrating is that the presentation is so compelling in every other way, bass off the scale, mids fully transparent, and a very smooth, sweet overall tonal presentation. But those cymbals and percussion instruments just feel muted or veiled.
What’s promising is that each day things come together more as my set up adjustments and umpteen areas of burn in/opening up take my sound closer to where it needs to be.
I’m going to experiment going back to the original metal unipivot points, since this solved another Terminator arm user’s issues with treble energy (with another cart), and absolutely bear down on speed accuracy with KAB SpeedStrobe.
But Im also left with acknowledging Fremer’s comment in his 2011 Stereophile review that Straingauge can be both very high in bass quality/super fast, but a little lean. I am determined to get it right because I’m tantalisingly close to further change, I’ve had it spot on in the past, and I have such an improved room now.
A work in progress.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Hi Marc, sorry to read about these issues which I'm sure can be corrected. Azimuth should not affect bandwidth, more channel balance.

Are you able to view the stylus when resting on a cd (not spinning lol)? This might be tricky with your arm, and may require a usb scope. It seems odd that it was ok prior to new stylus fitting, so maybe an issue lies here?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Paul, it was also an issue (although less marked) back in my old apartment after the first of two Soundsmith factory upgrades. Peter Lederman has a tendency to tinker with his own creations, for one the energiser electronics are altered, for two he changes the cantilever material.
This is a reason why I’d love to talk to other Straingauge owners who’ve had factory level upgrades, to see if our experiences match.
No complaints on setup, we took a whole day to get this right, and Peter of Alternative Audio has been installing Soundsmiths and Lyras for years. He hates my arm because it’s so idiosyncratic, but we always get there in the end.
No, I’m slightly at the mercy of an Unholy team up of a cart recipe that may already be smoother and less energetic than the one I had on Day One, several totally brand new electronic and mechanical ingredients needing 100+ hours to bed in and synergise, 24 months without a tt, cranky memory for my previous sound, and a radically different acoustic.

Last edited:

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I have at last setup my soundsmith strain gauge system with sg6 on a Kuzma 4 point/Stabi M last weekend. I am just into 20 hours mark yet and generally loving everything I hear. There is a rise in the top end response. This is not a treble distortion and actually the sibilance and similar issues are much less pronounced than my mc carts.

So, my experience is opposite of Marc, it is very interesting to hear that in his system the cymbals are veiled/muted, they are a little hyped if not anything else. The bass is very tuneful, I am surprised by the layers of bass and definition of it. The cart definitely has the toe tapping effect which is very welcome. It is very responsive and attacks and decays are perfectly in time. The midrange is beautiful but not forward like classic mc carts. As a horn/set lover, midrange seemed a little shy and a little behind the lows and highs. There was also a sheen, an euphonic kind of veil on top of midrange the moment it started playing, but this has been diminishing little by little and Peter says this goes away after 50 hours. Maybe the midrange will become more level then.

Next step would be to get the Peter Downs psu that Marc loves, but I want to spend a good 200-300hours first with the cartridge and then decide. The psu costs close to 60% of the cost of the sg system, so it is not just a little tweak to consider.

Reactions: Stump

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
just a quick update. I recently got a usb microscope and adjusted the sra. The top end rise has been resolved. Now, I have all the detail but without the rising response. Overall this is a very different cartridge but seems to be doing everything right! I do not see myself going back to mc's soon.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Kodomo, you and me both.

My bedding in v different from you, I went from soft and flat to current sound.

I remain curious that such a stellar performer eludes the ear of so many top analogphiles.

I can only think people will not give up on their phonos. Me? I was only too happy to.

Be prepared for a steep step up in performance if you ever go for Peter's bespoke psu.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Kodomo, you and me both.

My bedding in v different from you, I went from soft and flat to current sound.

I remain curious that such a stellar performer eludes the ear of so many top analogphiles.

I can only think people will not give up on their phonos. Me? I was only too happy to.

Be prepared for a steep step up in performance if you ever go for Peter's bespoke psu.

I could not part with my phono pre too but I retired it next to the rack, and put my mc's in the drawer :)

Marc, the problem with Peter's psu for me is not being able to audition it, or even hear it at a dealer or someone else's system. If I get it and not like it, thats it, it stays with me. I can not sell it, and it costs quite a lot just to do that... I wish there was a way to audition or to suppress my urge to get one!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Kodomo, can Peter do any no obligation trial?

I understand your reticence, all I can do is repeat my five star recommendation.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Kodomo, one of the problems with buying LPS for the SG200 is the unusual 24v requirement which mostly puts you into custom build territory. That said, the wattage drawn is quite low and should be easy to accommodate. I would recommend you speak with Paul Hynes to see if he has any build slots for his SR7. Quite often people's plans change during the long order period and he is happy for someone else to take their place. A dual rail, dual regulated SR7 would really be the bee’s knees and could also be easily resold should your situation change in the future.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mark, can't argue w Hynes' pricing.
Would it necessitate Kodomo sending his Straingauge energiser box to Hynes for each channel to be measured ahead of making up what needs to be a true dual mono supply?

All I can say is that the Red Wine Audio Black Lightning battery psu for the Straingauge was a vast impvt over stock wall warts, but tripped the energiser regularly because the two channels weren't fully adjusted for, the designer just provided 24V L and R.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I have emailed Paul Hynes as well. Let's hear what he has got to say.

The sbooster lps is popular with the sg200 down here in Turkey as their dealer is the same and he personally uses a pair of those...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Kodomo, you should go this route.

If it's on a par w my bespoke psu, or even my previous batt psu, it'll blow the stock psus out of the water.

Straingauge will just open up, air, liquidity, bass extension, mids delicacy, treble energy. Indeed not one parameter isn't dramatically improved.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Well, Paul Hynes SR7DRMR2XL will be the offering that is suited to me, it is 1560gbp+180gbp for two leads. The psu you have from Peter Downs is 2800gbp, so about 1000gbp pricier.

Now, if I am changing my psu, I would like to get the best I can, however this does not mean the most pricey... I wonder if there is anyone who had the chance to hear both these psu's! Actually, is there anyone that can testify about Paul hynes psu on sg200, he told me he had made some to people with sg200.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
@Kodomo, I don't expect either of your questions will get answered however there are some decent insights into the SR7 in the audiobacon.net review of the smaller SR4 which I use. Feel free to drop me an email for a couple of further tweaks you can make. For the dc cables, i would recommend taking his heavy gauge silver in the shortest lengths you can get away with though, as you might expect, I roll my own using star quad configuration with the Furutech Rhodium 4 pin XLR.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Kodomo, good luck w the Hynes
You're not going to get a comparison w mine, but you have nothing to fear, everything to gain.

Peter did relay to me he went thru a handful of prototypes ahead of settling on his final design, incl an overspecced ?R core? transformer, more used in medical applications.

I think I'm right on that, but something may have got lost in translation.

I hope, and am confident, it'll work out for you. The stock psus are v poor IMHO.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
So what's the strain gauge landscape like these days? Any new strain gauge cart converts here? Has anyone tried one, and not liked it? Curious to hear any new input.

Incidentally, I believe Dave Slagle (Intact Audio) is working on a strain gauge cart. Maybe he has been for a while, but I've never seen it announced.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bazelio, I've seen links to the Slagle Straingauge for several years now. I believe it exists, using NOS Panasonic, and a fully tubed energiser as opposed to Soundsmith SS. I think these may be Mercury filled rectifier tubes. I've never seen any user reviews, however.

My Soundsmith Straingauge remains a fantastic example of an audio component that simply gets out of the way.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Bazelio, I've seen links to the Slagle Straingauge for several years now. I believe it exists, using NOS Panasonic, and a fully tubed energiser as opposed to Soundsmith SS. I think these may be Mercury filled rectifier tubes. I've never seen any user reviews, however.

My Soundsmith Straingauge remains a fantastic example of an audio component that simply gets out of the way.
When you think that you have everything in your system in perfect order, playing
with cartridges and phono preamps are the last frontier.
Why would you deprive yourself of that pleasure ? :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Lagonda, I'll keep tubes to the pre and monos. Don't want them anywhere near my phono or digital, thanks.

I'm actually v thankful my Straingauge is a single box option w no adjustability. The sound is sooo precise yet warm, I'm not moving back to a cart plus separate phono anytime soon.

Hot rodding it w the bespoke P. Downs psu has proved totally worthwhile, I'd really urge more analogheads to consider Pete Lederman's jewel.

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Lagonda, I'll keep tubes to the pre and monos. Don't want them anywhere near my phono or digital, thanks.

I'm actually v thankful my Straingauge is a single box option w no adjustability. The sound is sooo precise yet warm, I'm not moving back to a cart plus separate phono anytime soon.

Hot rodding it w the bespoke P. Downs psu has proved totally worthwhile, I'd really urge more analogheads to consider Pete Lederman's jewel.
I like playing with cartridges SUT’s and phono stages, tubed and solid state.
It’s fun! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing