I, Tonya Red Band Trailer (2017) Margot Robbie Tonya Harding Biopic

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
As 2017 draws to an end I typically spend a week or 2 seeking out what I consider are worth seeing as contenders in all categories for the upcoming Academy Awards

Yesterday we saw I, Tonya and I can say that this is a must see" film

If Margot Robbie doesn't win the Oscar for Best Actress for her role as Tonya Harding as well as Allison Janney who plays her mother IMO is also going to win the Oscar for Best Supporting actress

From start to finish this film will have you totally involved.It is a biopic of Tonya's life up to and beyond "the incident" with Nancy Kerrigan.

Margot Robbie we all know from The Wolf Of Wall Street who played Leo's girl after his divorce in which she was drop dead gorgeous

The actors chosen to play all of the characters who were involved with the incident were superb and looked almost identical to the real people they were portraying. The dialog is potty mouth from start to finish but is essential to knowing who she was and whom she hung out with. Her husband was a wife beater. Her mother was simply despicable and she had no one to show her the path that led to stardom in the world figure skating arena.

The movie is done very similarly to When Harry Met Sally with interviews during the film in which actors doing soliloquies help to carry the plot line along. These side bars are simply hilarious

The movie is very well done and whether you know the story or not you will know it better by the end of the film

I am including the red band trailer rather than the green merely to illustrate the potty mouths of Tonya and all the characters

This will not disappoint and is definitely a must see. Margot Robbie is a diamond in the rough and is (so far ) my pick to win for Best Actress and Allison Ranney (who we know from Masters of Sex as well as Mom) should win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Fantastic movie with great performances all around. Would have loved the direction tightened up a bit, but certainly Oscar worthy.

Steve Williams

Fantastic movie with great performances all around. Would have loved the direction tightened up a bit, but certainly Oscar worthy.

I thought the way this film was made in the ilk of Harry Met Sally (with the well edited soliloquies of each character was fabulous). I thought I knew the entire story but the reality was that this movie filled in all of the small unknowns

I thought the characters who portrayed the real people were not only look alike but talked just like the real person

And for me the Oscar for Best Actress is Margot Robbie

and Best Supporting Actress Allison Janney

When you see what kind of despicable parents she had and the way she was brought up it is difficult to imagine her being a Nanny Kerrigan. One of the judges even told her that to her face

She needed her psycho abusive husband around her to inspire her to skate well as he kicks the crap out of her

She was a talented skater and as Sinatra sang "My Way", Tonya Harding definitely did it her way

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Had the opportunity to see I, Tonya today. My wife didn't like it at all. There are films where it is hard to come away liking the movie when there are no characters to like in the film.

As Steve noted we probably all knew part of the story and even though there are contradictions from the perspective of the different characters we come away still knowing a bit more of what probably occurred. None of these characters were the brightest individuals. Robbie and Janney both have the opportunity to come away with Golden Globes or Oscars though I might pull for others.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I loved this movie. Cheers to the performances - thought it was well directed with the back and forth to "present day" as well. It won't win because its not an Academy type film, but was really good.

Steve Williams

I loved this movie. Cheers to the performances - thought it was well directed with the back and forth to "present day" as well. It won't win because its not an Academy type film, but was really good.

It was my favorite movie of the year.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I am trying to catch up on movies that have Oscar nominations and I, Tanya was one I didn't see until today. I didn't think I would like the movie but I was wrong.

Its not a pleasant movie since the story is certainly not all peaches and cream. That said, it was quite well done and worth seeing. I don't think I took my eyes off the screen even once through the entire movie.

Based on the little bit I knew about this story before seeing the movie, I certainly didn't think I would feel any sympathy for Tonya. She was no angel, that is for certain, but she sure went through a lot of crap along the way. She must have been a supremely talented skater to have achieved what she did with all of those crazy people around her.

The performances by Margot Robbie as Tonya and Allison Janney as her mother were both outstanding as Steve first mentioned above. It was quite a film.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I have seen many of the movies with Oscar nominations, "I, Tonya" being one of them. My favorite so far is "3 Billboards..". I also felt that Frances McDormand's performance was tops among the women. Janney likely deserves an award for I, Tonya. I have thoroughly enjoyed "i, Tonya", "Lady Bird" and "The Shape of Water." Mudbound was also excellent.

"Darkest Hour" is next up for me.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I have seen many of the movies with Oscar nominations, "I, Tonya" being one of them. My favorite so far is "3 Billboards..". I also felt that Frances McDormand's performance was tops among the women. Janney likely deserves an award for I, Tonya. I have thoroughly enjoyed "i, Tonya", "Lady Bird" and "The Shape of Water." Mudbound was also excellent.

"Darkest Hour" is next up for me.

Thanks for reminding me about Mudbound. I forgot about that movie. It is on Netflix now so I will check it out.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing