The Darkest Hour

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Saw this tonight and it was fantastic. Just send Gary Oldham the Oscar now. Perfect companion to Michael Korda's new book "Alone" which covers the same time period.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
i'll disagree by saying I found it a perfect example of "acting Olympics" rather than a great movie. no doubt he will be the favorite for the hardware, although DDL will challenge.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
we finally got to see Darkest Hour

For me it was on elf the best films of the year. We thoroughly enjoyed it and I agree with prior comments here that Gary Oldman will easily win the Oscar for Best Actor. Just a well edited story to tell us history which we already knew.

Highly recommended

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
we finally got to see Darkest Hour

For me it was on elf the best films of the year. We thoroughly enjoyed it and I agree with prior comments here that Gary Oldman will easily win the Oscar for Best Actor. Just a well edited story to tell us history which we already knew.

Highly recommended

Steve - You may enjoy Michael Korda’s new book/memoir “Alone”, which covers the same time period.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
What I find interesting is that this man (Churchill) and this era (Dunkirk) is portrayed this year in 3 separate films and series, all of which I really enjoyed watching

Dunkirk
Darkest Hour-Gary Oldman-Oscar worthy performance)
The Crown season 1 John Lithgow-epic performance

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
^Lithgow is great here. Good series.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
What I find interesting is that this man (Churchill) and this era (Dunkirk) is portrayed this year in 3 separate films and series, all of which I really enjoyed watching

Dunkirk
Darkest Hour-Gary Oldman-Oscar worthy performance)
The Crown season 1 John Lithgow-epic performance

Steve,
I agree 100% in regards to Lithgow's performance, epic.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Saw Darkest Hour yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed this movie. As was previously mentioned, Gary Oldham was outstanding as Churchill.

Warts and all, Churchill was the right man at the right place at the right time.....or did history make the man? Always the great debate.

On a lighter note, my parents used to tell me that I looked like Winston Churchill when I was a baby. Took me a long time to finally get the joke.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing