How to dial in the best higher frequencies from your cartridge

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Can all you master analog set up guys give me some suggestions, and perspective?
As many of you know, the room acoustics and power grid in my new dedicated space are really exemplary, no apparent bass nodes, neutral, slightly overdamped (a good thing), just a very sweet sound. In stark contrast to my last space (of 20 years’ listening and multiple gear upgrades), that has been shown to be harsh and reflective.
My digital has sounded great in the last 6 months of concerted listening.

So last week I finally installed my analog. And so much about the sound is killer compared to before. Bass is tight, defined, tuneful, warm but with zero bloat. Mids are wide and deep, transparent and textured. Images as never before.
The high end is nimble, light, colourful.
But, and it’s the only real but, there seems some lack of treble energy and bite, manifesting itself as a rolled off sensation, with ride cymbals seeming to lack penetration.
Now it’s more an emphasis rather than major deficit, but is noticeable.
Any thoughts on things to think about?
Running a Trans Fi Salvation direct rim drive tt, modded with overspecced psu to motor speed controller, Trans Fi Terminator air bearing linear tracking arm, and Soundsmith Straingauge cartridge, modded with bespoke psu to energiser, top level update from P. Lederman, all atop a Stacore Advanced pneumatic/mass loading isolation platform.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Can all you master analog set up guys give me some suggestions, and perspective?
As many of you know, the room acoustics and power grid in my new dedicated space are really exemplary, no apparent bass nodes, neutral, slightly overdamped (a good thing), just a very sweet sound. In stark contrast to my last space (of 20 years’ listening and multiple gear upgrades), that has been shown to be harsh and reflective.
My digital has sounded great in the last 6 months of concerted listening.

So last week I finally installed my analog. And so much about the sound is killer compared to before. Bass is tight, defined, tuneful, warm but with zero bloat. Mids are wide and deep, transparent and textured. Images as never before.
The high end is nimble, light, colourful.
But, and it’s the only real but, there seems some lack of treble energy and bite, manifesting itself as a rolled off sensation, with ride cymbals seeming to lack penetration.
Now it’s more an emphasis rather than major deficit, but is noticeable.
Any thoughts on things to think about?
Running a Trans Fi Salvation direct rim drive tt, modded with overspecced psu to motor speed controller, Trans Fi Terminator air bearing linear tracking arm, and Soundsmith Straingauge cartridge, modded with bespoke psu to energiser, top level update from P. Lederman, all atop a Stacore Advanced pneumatic/mass loading isolation platform.
I know this post is a couple of years old, but are you sure that your phono cartridge is properly aligned?

In general: any piece of equipment can be colored on purpose and with intent, especially turntables and pre-amps. What I mean is what ever is underneath transmits it's sonic character.

Wood sounds woody.

Glass sounds clear but can glare.

Aluminum is strong and light (sounding).

The list goes on and on, I've written about this many time over the years.

My favorite material under a component including loudspeakers is BRASS and or Bronze, although acrylic combined with aluminum is a close second with turntables.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Kach, much obliged for the reply. You've only waited 100 weeks Lol.

I'm actually pretty good now. Agreed re correct install, I was guilty of too many changes at once, but not sorting cart alignment properly.

My changes have bedded in, and my cart install is now spot on.

And my initial misgivings on higher freqs are banished.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing