Suggestions: SOTA Ethernet Server for a DAC Renderer

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Update: rather than buying a AQVOX switch, I modded my own router. This made a difference for both music and streamed movies.

I now have:

Modded router powered by a Dynamo (Hynes based technology) with earth-grounded DC common -> 0.5m WW Platinum cable -> EN70e isolator -> 2m WW Platinum cable -> my renderer (with <10psec of jitter)

This, along with a combination of Linn Kinsky/Minimserver/BubbleUPnP on my Mac Mini is delivering the best digital SQ I have ever experienced.

Much better than ANY USB I have tried, including Antipodes and XMOS isolated USB interface. Less work than USB to get a better result.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Can you share any info about the router mod? Shame we cannot all benefit from something like that, or can we??

+1 would also be interested in some insight as I have my Hynes router psu due to arrive next week and will additionally do the dc to earth tweak to it. I already have a diy lan shorting plug in there which is pretty effective.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Curious why those specific distances?

0.5m because I cannot buy anything shorter

2.0m because I need that to reach all of my renderers

Just happened to work out well. Reverse the two cables and it sounds much worse.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Mostly power delivery improvements. Trade secrets.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Do you have any plausible technical explanation why this happens?

I expected this to happen because the speed of the driver is more impacted when driving a long cable to the isolator. With a short cable to the isolator, the risetime out of the isolator is faster. Also, any reflections on the long cable are isolated from the driver by the isolator.

Steve N.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Marcin

why don't u come out with a complete server or a complete server kit?

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Reactions: ferenc_k

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Not surprisingly, it seems very JCAT/JPLAY influenced.

Although I have no dog in this race, the simple introduction of JCAT Ethernet card in my Windows 10/ Roon server made a significant step in the sound quality of computer audio in my system. I have tried returning to the old cards for a confirmation check and the system lost most of its envelopment and easiness. Before you ask, no, it was not a controlled blind experiment, but lasted for a few days.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Although I have no dog in this race, the simple introduction of JCAT Ethernet card in my Windows 10/ Roon server made a significant step in the sound quality of computer audio in my system. I have tried returning to the old cards for a confirmation check and the system lost most of its envelopment and easiness. Before you ask, no, it was not a controlled blind experiment, but lasted for a few days.

My comment was not a criticism of JPLAY or JCAT in any way.

It was directed at the referenced article which leans heavily and obviously in favor of all their products and, imho, seems unsuitable as a guide for those not already committed to those products.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Good job Rubinson...u killed this thread with a stupid comment directed at Marcin's products.

IMO he was trying to be helpful, that's all....

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Good job Rubinson...u killed this thread with a stupid comment directed at Marcin's products.
Not at all. I made no comment about his products nor will I. What I pointed out was an apparent bias in the article.

IMO he was trying to be helpful, that's all....
Me, too.

Reactions: ferenc_k

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Not at all. I made no comment about his products nor will I. What I pointed out was an apparent bias in the article.

Irrelevant to the thread and something for the reader to decide if there is any bias, relevant or not......Poor form

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA

Irrelevant to the thread and something for the reader to decide if there is any bias, relevant or not......Poor form

I gotta agree with you on this one Kings. We are fortunate to have Marcin here. I am not even smart enough to get Kal's post. Why would any one expect a manufacturer to come here and pitch any one's product than but their own? Should we expect Magico speakers in the Wilson room at AXPONA this year?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
AFAIK, this is not Marcin's thread.

I stopped reading the linked-to page as soon as I saw the limited range of the writer's considerations. Ignore my comments, if you choose.

Kal,

Posts #130 and #131 were an answer to a direct request for a CAT product (#129) and Marcin signature identifies his connection to CAT.

As posts changed page between #130 and #131 you probably missed the connection.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing