Suggestions: SOTA Ethernet Server for a DAC Renderer

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Apparently, A/Bs were conducted at the Innuos room (w/ YG/Audio Research/Aqua Formula), between a well broken -in SE and the prototype Statement. And (again, it seems, as I wasn't there), the Statement was clearly quite a bit better, specially in sound staging, with considerable widening and deepening.

Oh well... Hope to have a look at it in Munich!

cheers,
Alex

I heard this demo briefly (one song). I appreciated that they were actually A/Bing it, but on the song I heard, the difference was slight at best. I'm likely going to get the standard model in to checkout at which point I can comprehensively a/b vs. what I have.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
It needs to be 0.5m from the source and 2m from the destination. That is the sweet-spot.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Curious why those specific distances?

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Apparently, A/Bs were conducted at the Innuos room (w/ YG/Audio Research/Aqua Formula), between a well broken -in SE and the prototype Statement. And (again, it seems, as I wasn't there), the Statement was clearly quite a bit better, specially in sound staging, with considerable widening and deepening.

Oh well... Hope to have a look at it in Munich!

cheers,
Alex

Sorry, but what is a well broken in SE?

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Curious why those specific distances?

It's what I needed and turned out to be quite good. It just made sense to put the isolator closer to the driver. If I had a 1 foot cable, I would use that. I flipped it yesterday so the 0.5m cable was at the DAC and it sounded much worse.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Sorry, but what is a well broken in SE?

Innuos Zenith SE, a limited production run of 100 units. That was, until the Statement, their best unit, so that's why they used it for the AxBs.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
It's what I needed and turned out to be quite good. It just made sense to put the isolator closer to the driver. If I had a 1 foot cable, I would use that. I flipped it yesterday so the 0.5m cable was at the DAC and it sounded much worse.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

I've tried it between Melco and Lumin, between Switch and Melco and between Router and Switch.
It's not for me.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I've tried it between Melco and Lumin, between Switch and Melco and between Router and Switch.
It's not for me.

This is the point I have tried to make to Steve since the beginning of this thread. With a properly designed server his tweaks are redundant.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I do not totally agree.
I have a Melco server and yet, both changing the generic switch for an Aqvox, connecting the Aqvox with an Entreq box, and grounding the negative power connector of the Aqvox made a good difference

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I do not totally agree.
I have a Melco server and yet, both changing the generic switch for an Aqvox, connecting the Aqvox with an Entreq box, and grounding the negative power connector of the Aqvox made a good difference

To be clear, are you talking about using the ethernet out port on the Melco direct to a dac renderer with no downstream switch (which is the topic of this thread) or are you using the usb out to the dac?

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I'm talking about directly connecting the server with the DAC with Ethernet port (in my case it can not be otherwise since Lumin does not have a USB port). And although the connection is direct, I assure you that everything you do to reduce the noise in the switch, will result in better sound. Do not forget that even if you directly connect Server and DAC, the Switch is still the DHCP server.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I'm talking about directly connecting the server with the DAC with Ethernet port (in my case it can not be otherwise since Lumin does not have a USB port). And although the connection is direct, I assure you that everything you do to reduce the noise in the switch, will result in better sound. Do not forget that even if you directly connect Server and DAC, the Switch is still the DHCP server.

The Melco guys tell me they filter between the Ethernet "in" and "out" to completely mitigate what you are describing. I guess your finding says a lot about Melco. I am curious, if you disconnect the ethernet "in" on the Melco so the Melco is completely separate from the network (and use the front panel for controlling the Melco), do you experience the same improvement?

From Melco:

Unlike PC based systems, Melco has a dedicated PLAYER port. This allows connection directly to the network Streamer or Player without any data switch in the signal path which would damage the music data.

This direct connection concept we call Direct Streaming Music – DSM – and it is unique to Melco as in conjunction with the Ethernet purifier between the LAN and PLAYER ports DSM ensures that the Player receives only clean and accurate data, all packets are timed with low-jitter precision and all unwanted traffic is blocked. LAN lights can be disabled for highest possible data integrity.

There are two methods of operation – Network Mode is the default and allows a Tablet connected to the Wi-Fi to control the player as normal. But for ultra-pure music playback DIRECT MODE can be selected – in this case there is no need for any external Ethernet or IT components, and the Melco acts as DHCP server to the Player. Browsing and control is then from the player front panel.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Hi Paul.
What Melco says regarding the total isolation between the two Ethernet ports goes beyond the truth.
There is an improvement in the music compared to the single port system: Melco to Switch and switch to Lumin, it is true, but unfortunately the noise isolation is not total.
If we disconnect the cable at Melco's network input, the music will simply stop, since the switch is the DHCP server. The operation from Melco buttons can only be done if transmitted via USB. Then it is the Server that takes control and sends to the DAC the files that "he wants".
In the case of a DAC Render, it is this one that "orders" the server what files it has to send to it.
However, it is true that Melco has a system called "Direct Mode" in which Melco shuts down the input Ethernet port and also becomes the DHCP Server. Unfortunately that can only be used by a DAC Render that has buttons that allow you to choose which files "order" Melco to send you.
Lumin does not have a single button, the orders go from the Ipad to the Router via Wifi, from this to the Switch, from this to the input Ethernet port of the Melco and since it is off, there the signal "dies" and can not reach the Lumin.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Hi Paul.
What Melco says regarding the total isolation between the two Ethernet ports goes beyond the truth.
There is an improvement in the music compared to the single port system: Melco to Switch and switch to Lumin, it is true, but unfortunately the noise isolation is not total.
If we disconnect the cable at Melco's network input, the music will simply stop, since the switch is the DHCP server. The operation from Melco buttons can only be done if transmitted via USB. Then it is the Server that takes control and sends to the DAC the files that "he wants".
In the case of a DAC Render, it is this one that "orders" the server what files it has to send to it.
However, it is true that Melco has a system called "Direct Mode" in which Melco shuts down the input Ethernet port and also becomes the DHCP Server. Unfortunately that can only be used by a DAC Render that has buttons that allow you to choose which files "order" Melco to send you.
Lumin does not have a single button, the orders go from the Ipad to the Router via Wifi, from this to the Switch, from this to the input Ethernet port of the Melco and since it is off, there the signal "dies" and can not reach the Lumin.

Ok Fransisco thanks for explaining the Lumin's limitations in this regard.

I still am extremely surprised by your above bold statement as this feature is one of the Melco's claims to fame and such isolation is a very simple and inexpensive thing to accomplish. I wonder it the outlet you are plugging the Melco into has a slightly higher electrical potential at the ground terminal than the other outlets to which you have the switch grounded. Alternatively it could be the Entreq. Have you tried the Enteq box on the Melco? Something does not make sense. Either it is not grounded fully (i.e., you don't have low enough electrical potential at the ground of the outlet) or Melco is full of beans.

Last edited:

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Hi Paul.
Regarding the Lumin I do not understand that it is a deficiency, but a design decision. They did not want buttons, nor did Linn and some other manufacturers.
Regarding the technical part about electrical potentials I leave it for people with greater knowledge. Just tell you that Melco and Switch (like all the other components of my system) are connected to Entreq boxes.
Regarding my assertion that the use of two Ethernet ports is isolated, but not totally, it is based only on my personal perception, not on technical criteria, so I accept that someone else says otherwise, but I only add two comments to support my statement:
a.- Initially we were told that since the RJ45 connectors were galvanically isolated, they were able to reject all the noise. Good every time there are more manufacturers that use two ports for that purpose.
b.- Melco has the "Direct Mode" system that turns off the input Ethernet port. What does that system have if the isolation of the two Ethernet ports is complete?
Regards

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Hi Paul.
Regarding the Lumin I do not understand that it is a deficiency, but a design decision. They did not want buttons, nor did Linn and some other manufacturers.
Regarding the technical part about electrical potentials I leave it for people with greater knowledge. Just tell you that Melco and Switch (like all the other components of my system) are connected to Entreq boxes.
Regarding my assertion that the use of two Ethernet ports is isolated, but not totally, it is based only on my personal perception, not on technical criteria, so I accept that someone else says otherwise, but I only add two comments to support my statement:
a.- Initially we were told that since the RJ45 connectors were galvanically isolated, they were able to reject all the noise. Good every time there are more manufacturers that use two ports for that purpose.
b.- Melco has the "Direct Mode" system that turns off the input Ethernet port. What does that system have if the isolation of the two Ethernet ports is complete?
Regards

Thanks Fransico. Please understand I did not mean to imply the Lumin's control decision was a deficiency. I meant only to recognize your point about the control. :)

Regarding your point (b) above, that is in fact a very good observation. I can't argue with your logic. Good point!

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
No problem.
Although Google translate is a blessing for those who do not speak English and although it has improved a lot lately, it is true that it still does not dominate the "subtleties" of the languages ??and that sometimes gives misunderstandings.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I just sent the following, to Peter Lee (Lumin Firmware Leader). We will see if you consider it interesting to implement.

“Hi Peter.
I would like to request a utility in the firmware, in case I consider it possible to add it.
My Melco has a very useful operation possibility, which they call "Direct Mode". In this mode the Melco turns off its Ethernet input port (with which it is totally isolated from the rest of the network), transmits to the Lumin through the Ethernet Player port and also becomes the DHCP server instead of the Switch. Logically with Lumin it can not be used, because the only way to run "play" is from the IPad and the Melco port would be turned off.
Now it has occurred to me that if we could configure the operation of the Lumin play key in two ways
a.- As currently, that is, we press play and it is executed without delay
b.- With a delay of, for example, 45 seconds.
In this second case, you can choose a playlist, press play and allow time to set the Melco using its keys to "Direct Mode"
(in that it does not take more than 10 seconds) so that after the 45-second countdown the Lumin would begin to play completely isolated from the network.“

bmichels

Nov 30, 2012

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Well, I suppose the network isolator will depend on the system.
I bought an EMO HD E70, and it's for sale on WBT at half the price.

I tried this one. Sent it back. The EN-70e is a good one.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing