Beware of Scam!

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
I have advertised some stuffs on several online websites. I got a potential buyer who has been asking many questions, almost every day. At least, he portrayed himself as a nice gentleman. He asked me to take photo of the serial number, the next day, he asked me to take my picture with the item I sell, the next day, he asked me to record the item when in use. After a full week of email exchange, he suddenly disappeared.

I am afraid that he might use all those photos he got from me to scam others, pretending he were me. His email address is: dw031872@gmail.com and always calls himself as John.

He got all the details of my Aesthetix Eclipse Linestage with dual power supply and remote control. I just wish that it's only my imagination and he won't scam others. But anyway, if there is an attractive offer on this model, just be aware.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
My friend in Italy had exactly same experience
One from England,William,with many mail ask him photo,serial number,video,photo of product he sell with newspaper of day near and then disappeared

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
This is what happened to me a few years ago. The only thing you can do now is to check the Hifi Shark from time to time and report a fraud to administrators of web flea markets, if it happens. In my case they always acted quickly and effectively. If you want to take the case further, report the fraud to the police. Sometimes they succeed in catching such criminals.

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
Sure..I will be checking on Hifishark from time to time to prevent such scamming.

This is what happened to me a few years ago. The only thing you can do now is to check the Hifi Shark from time to time and report a fraud to administrators of web flea markets, if it happens. In my case they always acted quickly and effectively. If you want to take the case further, report the fraud to the police. Sometimes they succeed in catching such criminals.

mr-particle

Dec 20, 2012
Germany
Hello together from Germany,
It´s time for my 1st post here at the WBF.
I have made exactly the same experience when offered a Silverweld line stage for sale here in Germany.
Was contacted by a guy, intruducing himself with the name William (miaujam433@gmail.com).
After his interest for my advert was looking to be serious, he asked also in my case for a video of the item for sale, for a picture with a newspaper, a video with me oprerating the line stage and several other things (in total 7 different actions to prove that I am the owner of the line stage).
Since he was demanding all this in one eMail I became careful and refused what he was asking for and stopped the whole thing.
It is really a pity, that this hobby, which can be nice, but also based on trusting each other, is becoming more and more a victim of guys trying to cheat and to harm other members of our community!
So we have to be more and more careful.
Best
Axel

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
A timely reminder of the need for due diligence when buying or selling used equipment.
I always check very carefully before buying. I got close to buying an item on Audiomarkt but backed out when I found his Paypal account had been suspended, but it didn't stop him from trying unsuccessfully to persuade me to send the money to his wife's account.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Same experience earlier this year here, I now ask the potential buyer a pertinent question regarding the item in question to establish whether they know what they are talking about, so when the question is repeatedy ignored I block them..

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
A timely reminder of the need for due diligence when buying or selling used equipment.
I always check very carefully before buying. I got close to buying an item on Audiomarkt but backed out when I found his Paypal account had been suspended, but it didn't stop him from trying unsuccessfully to persuade me to send the money to his wife's account.

Danger Will Robinson!!---yes I would avoid buying on Audiomarkt--I was scammed big time on that site and the did F***k all to help--- give tham a wide berth--

the scammer was in cahoots with this bank in Poland -- who also did F***k all to help me--do NOT send money to this bank

I won't post publicly here--but if anyone wants -in case he pops up in items you may be considering---I will PM his full details and bank Acc/etc via PM

This activity makes my blood boil--sorry

BruceD

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
Lucky you. When purchasing an items, I will always look at the feedback they got. So far, I am still safe. :)

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
Or can we ask seller to do a video call? Thus we know that they're real, the item is real and we record the video call. But if they are scammers, they will get away with our money anyway. The video call can only scare some amateurs.

Same experience earlier this year here, I now ask the potential buyer a pertinent question regarding the item in question to establish whether they know what they are talking about, so when the question is repeatedy ignored I block them..

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
PM me please. Me and my friends like to check out that Audiomarkt honestly.

Danger Will Robinson!!---yes I would avoid buying on Audiomarkt--I was scammed big time on that site and the did F***k all to help--- give tham a wide berth--

the scammer was in cahoots with this bank in Poland -- who also did F***k all to help me--do NOT send money to this bank

I won't post publicly here--but if anyone wants -in case he pops up in items you may be considering---I will PM his full details and bank Acc/etc via PM

This activity makes my blood boil--sorry

BruceD

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Ferrox and others,

Thanks for the warning. Sounds like a well practiced scam and variations. Larry

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Audiomarkt is overrun by scammers, I’ve caught the same guy selling MBL gear 5 times ! A French guy of African decent posing from different countries. They close them down fast if reported. Almost missed out when someone was selling a MBL 9011 amp in Poland at a great price. Drove there and the guy was for real, 8 hours drive is better than getting scammed !

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
Better be cautious than sorry, I guess..

Audiomarkt is overrun by scammers, I’ve caught the same guy selling MBL gear 5 times ! A French guy of African decent posing from different countries. They close them down fast if reported. Almost missed out when someone was selling a MBL 9011 amp in Poland at a great price. Drove there and the guy was for real, 8 hours drive is better than getting scammed !

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Having a few active ads on AudiogoN and Audio Markt, I get those kind of email almost every day.

I have actually stopped answering all emails where people ask for serial #. Based on my experience, 99% of ppl that ask for the serial # are either dealers or scam artists. Scam artists always ask for pictures of serial # and the box.

If you really want to send pictures, use a free program like Visual Wartermark, to watermark your pictures. When I see a slight chance that the person asking is a legit buyer, I always send heavily watermarked pics.

You may also ask the potential buyer to call you - you will know instantly if he is an audiophile or a scam artist. Just ask him about his system etc. Scammers are no audiophiles. They know nothing about the hifi.

ljubisa05

Mar 23, 2018
I have advertised some stuffs on several online websites. I got a potential buyer who has been asking many questions, almost every day. At least, he portrayed himself as a nice gentleman. He asked me to take photo of the serial number, the next day, he asked me to take my picture with the item I sell, the next day, he asked me to record the item when in use. After a full week of email exchange, he suddenly disappeared.

I am afraid that he might use all those photos he got from me to scam others, pretending he were me. His email address is: dw031872@gmail.com and always calls himself as John.

He got all the details of my Aesthetix Eclipse Linestage with dual power supply and remote control. I just wish that it's only my imagination and he won't scam others. But anyway, if there is an attractive offer on this model, just be aware.

Actually happened to me a couple of months ago. I messaged with one private seller and he sent me all the samples and pictures. We agreed on the price and I paid half in advance, as we discussed. Needles to say, never heard form him again :mad:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Having a few active ads on AudiogoN and Audio Markt, I get those kind of email almost every day.

I have actually stopped answering all emails where people ask for serial #. Based on my experience, 99% of ppl that ask for the serial # are either dealers or scam artists. Scam artists always ask for pictures of serial # and the box.

Actually, if a potential buyer sees one of my products on-line and asks me for the history of a speaker, I will ask him to get the serial number so that I can check my records.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
In my experience, that is the remaining honest 1%.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing