From the self appointed jazz editor

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
If you agree with me that Louis Armstrong was vastly misunderstood because of handkerchief, bulging eyes and bigger than life smile. You have to concede that he mastered his instrument, achieved popular and critical acclaim., and financial success.

The January issue of tas #209pp 176-7. list ten essential Louis Armstron Albums I have not heard them myself. But it's Louis Armstrong what more can I say.

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
Armstrong had a fascinating life story that has nothing to do with the handkerchief, etc. He was not afraid to speak his mind. An example is when he criticized President Eisenhower for having no guts after Orville Faubus sent National Guard troops to Little Rock High School. My favorites are the Hot Five and Hot Seven groups going back to the mid-20s.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have that issue and was going through it as well since I'm interested in getting some of his vinyl. Rather than relying on what the editors of TAS have to say, can I turn to you for some recommendations?

John

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
Hi John,
I read that article myself, there are a lot of nice recordings out there on vinyl, here are two of my favorites that are not on that list of ten, which IMO is a great list. Louis Under The Stars is a classic records 45rpm 4 lp single sided recording that I really like. Also this one here you may have to find used but I love it. Satchmo at Symphony Hall, this is a two lp recording of a concert he did on 11-30-47. There are a lot of different artists on this one, Jack Teagarden, Barney Bigard,Dick Cary, Sidney Catlett, ArvellShaw, and Velma Middleton.

Dan

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi John,
I read that article myself, there are a lot of nice recordings out there on vinyl, here are two of my favorites that are not on that list of ten, which IMO is a great list. Louis Under The Stars is a classic records 45rpm 4 lp single sided recording that I really like. Also this one here you may have to find used but I love it. Satchmo at Symphony Hall, this is a two lp recording of a concert he did on 11-30-47. There are a lot of different artists on this one, Jack Teagarden, Barney Bigard,Dick Cary, Sidney Catlett, ArvellShaw, and Velma Middleton.

Dan

Thanks guys! :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
If you agree with me that Louis Armstrong was vastly misunderstood because of handkerchief, bulging eyes and bigger than life smile. You have to concede that he mastered his instrument, achieved popular and critical acclaim., and financial success.

The January issue of tas #209pp 176-7. list ten essential Louis Armstron Albums I have not heard them myself. But it's Louis Armstrong what more can I say.

How about being high all the time :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
While I'm no jazz expert, I only have a few hundred jazz albums, I do have three Louis Armstrong albums I can heartily recommend. They are: "Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington Recording Together for the First Time", "Satchmo Plays King Oliver" and "Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington The Great Reunion".

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
If you are looking for a well-written, accessible biography of Armstrong "Pops" by Terry Teachout is outstanding.

As to music...

slowGEEZR's recommendations are terrific and these are available on good to excellent sounding reissues.

The Hot Fives and Sevens are essential. The original Columbia LP (6 eye) issues are pretty good sounding considering these were recorded in the late 1920's. These recordings capture when Armstrong revolutioned jazz and reinvented singing with classics like "West End Blues" and "Potato Head Blues".

I also like the Decca recordings with his great small ensemble of the 40's and 50's. I own a few of the original LPs but highly recommend the Mosaic box set http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=34633

If you can find a copy of the posthumous "July 4, 1900/July 6, 1971" on RCA, it is quite good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing