Zero Distortion Digital Dangal: Jazzhead's System - Neodio Origine, Trinity, Aqua Formula, Stahltek

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Stahl Tek transport obviously with its matching Opus DAC .
Preferred the Stahl Tek over the Kalista , both into the Vitus Master DAC using a Stage 3 AES cable.

The Metronome is not an universal transport - but when coupled with Metronome own DAC's it makes an incredible digital playback system. For example, in the DCS Vivaldi it sounds quite inferior to the Vivaldi transport, that shares clock with it. However, when used with Devialet the Metronome Calypso ( the more recent model of the Kalista) was preferred by a wide margin - more organic and dynamic.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
He never compares. He trusts his ears to pick out through the whole system, talks a lot, drinks beer and rushes out

If that indeed is the case, then surely a hasty review while drinking is going to be heavily biased. We've all been there (or most of us likely) where a few drinks in we're making boisterous judgements in our listening rooms, but I hope that's not what the majority are using as critical assessments.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
To my ears almost all digital sources do exhibit digititus.

When's the last time you heard a modern digital source? Listen to Aqua, MSB, Aries Cerat or TotalDac for example and report back, none exhibit digititus.

I can however, report on many TT setups that exhibit analogitis - you know, horrible wow & flutter, tinniness, low freq rumble, footfall effects, lacking in bass extension and weight with a sprinkle of pops & ticks thrown in for free...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, Arshad. I recall the Stahl Tek was quite the go-to digital five or so years ago, with an inflated price tag to match. Is there anything in the sound to suggest why a certain hardcore were prepared to spend the cash on it (obviously not anywhere near enough buyers, with the company going bust)?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No. It was high priced because it sold in Asia.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, they weren’t the first to have that policy. Your words suggest it was hard to completely rid the Stahl Tek of a hint of hardness, that the Origine wasn’t prone to?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well, they weren’t the first to have that policy. Your words suggest it was hard to completely rid the Stahl Tek of a hint of hardness, that the Origine wasn’t prone to?

I have also said that on that, we should wait to see if Jazzhead can get rid of that by settling it down for a longer time and tweaking something. That said, even if that works, which is to be verified, it will be good, but not for that price.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It's been 18 months since this report. Since then, Jazzhead has sold off his Stahltek 37k transport + 37k dac, Aqua formula, and Trinity. He got in the TAD Cd player, which he rates better than Neodio (I haven't compared here yet). I helped him source a Lampi Golden Gate from the used market at bargain price. He has now tried it with KR recti, KR PX25, and KR 242. Since the first note, he has been stuck on 242 - total transparency, see through, loads more energy, and distance increasing especially on classical (on amplified he says all his digital players are more or less equal). He called it a solid state tube - which is exactly how I would describe it.

He has now gone a bit mad and sourced himself a balanced Golden Gate and is getting the RK version of the tubes.

I will let him add, he doesn't access the forum much these days, if he wants to anything as the Lampi runs in (yes, it is stone cold after months of not being used, and the tubes are brand new so they will get better) and the compares of balanced and SE.

His one statement to me was "with 242 it's more direct unfiltered sound, so going back to the TAD it is like a step back from reality to recorded sound"

The Lampi is just put on the TAD. All his other gear is well cabled, isolated, and tripoint ground. He will get round to that with the Lampi. He is using the TAD for transport when playing the Lampi.

Downstream is Koda K15, Vitus SS 101 and Marten speakers

Lampi nation - Sorry I advised against the Pacific, hope you appreciate the rest, and I am sure he is mad enough to get round to the Pac soon.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
https://wooaudio.com/tubes/usaf596-withadapter
A must have recti
https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/...113628-a-visit-to-al-rainbow-aka-al-d-s-place
Kedar stop telling people what flagship is better
I own a pac and a gg2 sold my gg dacs. While I get the 242 as being best and agree it's not being fair to say LAMPI has not gone forward since your 3 year old dac was made.
Enough said on this and glad you have woken up kedar.

I already apologized for pissing you off in my previous post Al. At least appreciate the rest

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I realised I did buy something a Fostex horn supertweeter to replace the ribbon supertweeter I have been using and some better quality caps for the crossover but only arrived 2 days ago

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Kedar Whats you're take on the RK 242 and KR 242 I have. Some say more refined , next week I get a pair to hear. Have you heard them ? If so share please I can trust your thoughts.jazz is so right it's the most dynamic fast real music sound
Pushes it at you. I have been using j River now seems better and faster then Roon and hq combo
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Kedar Whats you're take on the RK 242 and KR 242 I have. Some say more refined next week I get a pair to hear. Have you heard them ? If so share please I can trust your thoughts.
Thanks in advance

I haven't heard yet. I prefer the RK recti but haven't heard the output valves. Audioauattr, whose top valves when I was there we agreed on, we preferred 101d and KR 242. Then he bought the RK 242 and prefers those but I haven't heard.

I don't like RK 300b it's too artificial

RK PX4 is better than KR PX4 but not as good as KR PX25.

Last edited:
Reactions: Golum

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Ok I'm with you. The RK is the better recti and 101d is a greet tube by specs alone. But it seems my daxs don't like it lol. I did hear a gg1 setup For them it was Magic now doubt
Lucas says the 242 is the fastest slew rate of the set tubes so it makes sense it's fast and real
You were the first to push this tube but as you heard both gg Dacs Hated it. Both my Gg2 and pac love it and I asked Lucas to make both dacs sound great on the tube. I thank you for that a great tube

Reactions: bonzo75 and Golum

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I haven't heard yet. I prefer the RK recti but haven't heard the output valves. Audioauattr, whose top valves when I was there we agreed on, we preferred 101d and KR 242. Then he bought the RK and prefers those but I haven't heard.

I don't like RK 300b it's too artificial

RK PX4 is better than KR PX4 but not as good as KR PX25.
I have the px 4 and px 25. Honestly the 242 blow both up. But if you want a relax sound they are better at the exp of jump or speed
On the pac it's network input is Linux inside
The px 25 are great there helps speed them up a bit. When are you coming to ny man it's been a while so much new here to hear and play
Pics too place is ok now hahaha

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
To my ears almost all digital sources do exhibit digititus.
The only thing that matters with any DAC or transport is the quality of the electrical power in the entire system. Feed a digital source corrupt power and you will get some level of digitus. The truth thst until it is removed you don’t know it was there is never truer with digital. The SQ is stunning otherwise.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
And to assume that all digital recordings exhibit digitus you would have to think that the recording chain somewhere is at fault. I listened to a redbook Living Stereo recording made almost 60 years ago transferred from the original master tape and it was stunning. Very rarely do I hear digitus.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The only thing that matters with any DAC or transport is the quality of the electrical power in the entire system. . . .

The only thing? :oops:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I realised I did buy something a Fostex horn supertweeter to replace the ribbon supertweeter I have been using and some better quality caps for the crossover but only arrived 2 days ago

Which Fostex did you buy, what order crossover did you use, and where did you kick it in?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing