Christmas goodies - my first ever TT

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
HI guys

Father Christmas visited my house with a few goodies, and so i have a TT for the first time in my life. Quite frankly im loving it.

Have a question to all the vinyl people - how/what should i do re cleaning regime? Should i wipe with a cloth? Brush with a carbon fibre brush or buy a machine? And if so which one.

Apart from the music which has more flow, musicality and timbre than anything ive heard its all a bit confusing :)

system shot.jpg tt shot.jpg

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations! And welcome to (what is for many people, including me) the superior world of analog!

I think the standard recommendation is 1) a record cleaning machine, and 2) the KL Audio record cleaning machine. Sell your DAC, your CDs, your USB cable, your computer hard drive -- and buy the KL Audio.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Can I ask what type of music you mainly listen and how you expect to source your LPs? IMHO the choice of a cleaning machine is not an easy decision and depends a lot on user attitude. Although I am not a believer in absolutes or superior media :D, after some reading about the subject I found that for my personnel use the best solution was a cheap ultrasound system followed by distillate water rinsing/aspiration in the VPI17.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Lovely system and tasteful rack :).

I also have KL.

Have a happy holidays.
Tang

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Nice table to start your vinyl listening!! Great choice on the AMG. I would start out with a record cleaning machine...and the easy winner here, IMO, is the inexpensive VPI 16.5. This old workhorse cleans great and allows you to do multiple LP's. It really is my 'go to' recommendation for anyone getting into vinyl for the first time.
There are a lot of regime's that are good to follow, one is to clean on the machine first, then a final wipe with a carbon brush once on the platter. Since you are using an optical cartridge, I think the usual protocols regarding stylus care are not a factor here, but you will definitely get a big uptick from a clean record.

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
Hi guys - thx for the replies

i listen to a lot of female vocals and jazz, and string ensembles.

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
Congrats on that very nice system ;)

I only heared the Absolare amps in Munich once or twice. Sounded very good with Vinyl. Didnt like their music choice in the demo room though.

PS: Tape is next.....

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
Congratulations from my side, too! It's the Viella V12 w/o wood plinth, isn't it? Phantastic turntable.

In regard to record cleaning: for me one of the foundations of listening to vinyl in the first place. Makes such an improvement to sound quality. May I throw in the Gläss Vinyl Cleaner here? Not as high a price point as the KL Audio but still ultrasonic cleaning which I personally regard as superior to suction cleaners.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Gläss Vinyl Cleaner, aka AudioDesk

Sonic cleaners are superior. There is the DIY route which offers the ability to use a mixture in the water, ending in better results, but it's a lot of love and care effort.

I personally use Wasanbon brushes between thorough cleanings with machines, to keep stuff off. Sometimes I use a MoFi brush thing and some liquid if something is stubborn but not really needing a full on clean.

But my secret weapon is my ionizing blower. Forget the dumb little gun. I use it while I'm brushing and that really works. There's an assortment on eBay but several are missing power supplies, so watch for that. I think it's easier to get one that has it built in. Pretty easy to score one for less than $100 shipped, that looks nice, if you check once in awhile. I paid less than the static gun for mine, including shipping.

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
Congratulations from my side, too! It's the Viella V12 w/o wood plinth, isn't it? Phantastic turntable.

In regard to record cleaning: for me one of the foundations of listening to vinyl in the first place. Makes such an improvement to sound quality. May I throw in the Gläss Vinyl Cleaner here? Not as high a price point as the KL Audio but still ultrasonic cleaning which I personally regard as superior to suction cleaners.

Yes - Viella V12 w/o plinth

Interesting about the Glass Vinyl Cleaner. IN Australia its actually dearer than what i can get the KL Audio for.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Lovely system and tasteful rack :).

I also have KL.

Have a happy holidays.
Tang

Me too on both comments. The KL is awesome.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Can I ask what type of music you mainly listen and how you expect to source your LPs? IMHO the choice of a cleaning machine is not an easy decision and depends a lot on user attitude. Although I am not a believer in absolutes or superior media :D, after some reading about the subject I found that for my personnel use the best solution was a cheap ultrasound system followed by distillate water rinsing/aspiration in the VPI17.

Dctom made such a low cost one based on the Kuzma ultrasound system

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I second the Klaudio if you want to spend that much. I use it. Otherwise the VPI is a good cheap start. Had the Audiodesk, it leaked water out of the power socket and was returned pronto...

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
Congratulations on your new TT! A very nice piece.

You may also want to consider the Clearaudio Double Matrix record cleaner. A bit pricey but well worth the investment.

Enjoy the music!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing