Turntable speed control

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Happy Christmas one and all. I’m getting new life out of my reinstalled analog, and speed accuracy is the last area I need to nail.
I’ve whittled down choice of method to three possibilities.
KAB SpeedStrobe.
Allnic SpeedNic.
Sutherland Engineering TimeLine.
Thoughts on these would be much appreciated, and other methods I’m missing out on.
Not interested in IPhone apps.

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Happy Christmas one and all. I’m getting new life out of my reinstalled analog, and speed accuracy is the last area I need to nail.
I’ve whittled down choice of method to three possibilities.
KAB SpeedStrobe.
Allnic SpeedNic.
Sutherland Engineering TimeLine.
Thoughts on these would be much appreciated, and other methods I’m missing out on.
Not interested in IPhone apps.

Merry Christmas one and all. I use the KAB Speed strobe. Works great. Easy to use. All the best in 2018

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey, that’s the kind of recommendation I like .
A prosperous 2018 to you (and all) too.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
A cheaper recommendation - any 50 Hz strobe https://www.vinylengine.com/library/thorens/strobe-disc.shtml (you can print it ) and drive a 2 cent red LED with a 50 Hz test tone from a CD player in repeat mode - just cut one plug of an old junk RCA cable and connect the two wires to the LED terminals. Typically accurate to better than .001%.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Loki, is that the Kuzma Strobi?

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Where is PeterA ? didn't he have an involved thread discussing this matter a few years back ?

There was also a big thread on Audiogon asking each turntable owner to take the Sutherland Timeline "challenge" with their table.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I like the KAB, but since the disc is 10” diameter it precludes testing for speed while cart is in-groove ie for stylus drag.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I like the KAB, but since the disc is 10” diameter it precludes testing for speed while cart is in-groove ie for stylus drag.

For real condition measurements you can also use a test LP with a software FFT analyzer.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

You can put the KAB over an LP, which is 12 inches - that's how I do it

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Christian, I’m a little worse for wear celebrating Christmas Day with a few bottles of Red, so I’m not getting how the Monarch is actually used to test speed accuracy.
Can you elaborate?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian, I’m a little worse for wear celebrating Christmas Day with a few bottles of Red, so I’m not getting how the Monarch is actually used to test speed accuracy.
Can you elaborate?

You put a 1/2” piece of their reflective tape on the platter side. When up to speed you focus the laser so it hits the tape on each revolution...then you read the display on the unit to see what the speed is and adjust your TT speed controller to get to 33.333 and 45.0 rpm

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

seriously if your table's motor is affected by so called urban myth called stylus drag - time to get a new table :D

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bring high torque direct rim drive, I don’t think it is, but handy to check. And that’s not so easy with the KAB.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Christian, did you consider the Timeline at all before buying the Monarch?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian, did you consider the Timeline at all before buying the Monarch?

No...mainly because of the focusing and reading on the wall part. Wasn’t too keen on the idea. Of course I have no direct experience with it. The laser tach is a professional scientific device calibrated to an industry standard for all things spinning. I trust it for accuracy over a audiophile device.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well Christian, you also once trusted the Herzan as a professional scientific device...
(minor jibe only intended, forgive me, it IS Christmas).
Re the Monarch, do you secure it in a tripod over the tt? I can’t see how having it hand held can be at all precise.
Btw, let us all know just how good the AS-2000 is wrt speed accuracy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing