Himalayan Salt Lamps as HiFi tweak - Snake-oil or Not?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So, we're kinda in agreement.
Salt lamps I wouldn't have considered.
But I need some soft/mood lighting up here, maybe I'll take a punt.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Something like this for your prog rock?
073E3D2A-F0F3-4C4C-9583-D37A9FD8ADC4.jpeg

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Anything by Roger Dean will do.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveyF

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Marc, I know why I like the sound of the improvements made by the Shakti's, I just don't know what accounts for the result..and it would seem that this applies to numerous other 'tweeks' as well.

That's why we call them "tweeks" instead of name them for what they actually do... ;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Of course, there are tweaks, and then there are TWEEKS...

Reactions: DaveC

TLi

May 27, 2016
Himalayan salt lamps work, they just improve the sound, no kidding.

I know there are many snake oils in HiFi world. Every audiophile would have been fooled by one or two products. Not this one, this is not even a HiFi product. For the price of one or two records/CD’s, you can buy one small salt lamp. I sincerely suggest you buy one and try at your room. You will be surprised by what it does, at least I was surprised.

After trying a small yellow one, I bought a larger red one which is even more effective. A26263F9-AB4B-4750-B0C0-812580AB1623.jpeg

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Himalayan salt lamps work, they just improve the sound, no kidding.
I know there are many snake oils in HiFi world. Every audiophile would have been fooled by one or two products. Not this one, this is not even a HiFi product. For the price of one or two records/CD’s, you can buy one small salt lamp. I sincerely suggest you buy one and try at your room. You will be surprised by what it does, at least I was surprised.
After trying a small yellow one, I bought a larger red one which is even more effective. View attachment 46865

Thanks Thomas for your post and support!

Thomas is one of my audiophile friends in Hong Kong. Many of us have turned from non-believers to salt lamp using audiophiles.

Listening is believing.
Why not give it a try and report back in WBF?

Wishing all WBF members a Merry Xmas and most happy New Year!

Reactions: Uk Paul and bonzo75

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I’ve just taken a punt as well. My wife tells me they are therapeutic so one for the bedroom and one for my listening room.
They look good regardless of potential sound quality improvement.

Reactions: CKKeung

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So, is any size/shape/weight ideal?
There are irregularly shaped, tall, 15-20kg ones for c£40-60.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
The Full rounds seem the ones--pretty cheap to buy and do give off nice Glow--Place close to your speakers.

BruceD

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
So, is any size/shape/weight ideal?
There are irregularly shaped, tall, 15-20kg ones for c£40-60.

Agree with Bruce : the round-spheres look much nicer than those irregular ones.

Nobody know the ideal mass and size for audio use.
In fact each of them may come from diff ores and have slightly diff salt compositions. Some are redder in colour than the others.

However there are some impressions from HK audiophiles :
1. Salt lamps from Himalayan ores seem more effective for audio use than those from other places such as Poland ...etc.
2. Salt lamps are actually a solid piece of rock salt with a hole drilled for placing a lightbulb into it. It seems that tungsten bulb is good for audio use but not the led lights.

They are non-evidence-based impressions.
WBF members please try and tell us your experience.
Thanks.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Had mine a few weeks now and my system is sounding better each time I use it.
I do however attribute this to running in as opposed to any possible benefits from the lamp. It gives off a great glow however and is very relaxing

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Anything by Roger Dean will do.

Marc,
Roger Dean's work is often on display at a place not far from here, we see it regularly, not met him yet though. I have some copies of the Asia album logo's he did, loved them when I was in my teens and still do now.. Some of his artwork is pretty out there but it's always great to see it.

Reactions: DaveyF

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Marc,
Roger Dean's work is often on display at a place not far from here, we see it regularly, not met him yet though. I have some copies of the Asia album logo's he did, loved them when I was in my teens and still do now.. Some of his artwork is pretty out there but it's always great to see it.

Paul, I think he was one of the defining artists of his time..and IMO very very underrated. That, plus the fact that he must have help sell countless albums!
I remember always been a bit disappointed if one of my favorite groups, like Uriah Heep, came out with an album but using someone else’s art for the cover.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
There was uproar (well, a few Proggers writing moderately cross letters to Sounds and Melody Maker magazines LOL) when Yes/Going For The One lp came out in '78, w Hipgnosis cover artwork.

Rocoa

Oct 17, 2018
Spain
I bought a yellow rounded salt lamp and placed it behind speakers. After some hours listening I'm really surprised.
I've not listened my Avalons playing the cello concerts by Jacqueline du Pré so nice.
I'm going to make another Amazon purchase......:)

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
DSC02510 copy.jpg

about 3 years ago, I put a pair of Himalayan salt lamps into my then system. I did a bit of A/B'ing and could not convince myself that they did anything for the sound. They do generate a nice glow but I can get a similar effect with other existing lighting. Maybe if I had the lamps on dedicated lines...?

toetapaudio

Feb 13, 2017
Forest of Dean UK
Himalayan salt lamps lower the noise floor. Used in conjunction with mass load damping and seismic isolation, the results are outstanding. Other salts and materials used on the mains fuse box, switches and sockets will further lower the noise floor. I hope to write details, probably in a separate thread.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing