Himalayan Salt Lamps as HiFi tweak - Snake-oil or Not?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
This is my Himalayan Salt Lamps sitting beside my Magico S5.

Salt Ball Lamp.jpg

Are you kidding? It's really an effective hifi tweak??
My answer is a definite YES!

Here are two threads on these salt lamps on a Hong Kong HiFi discussion forum. Hundreds of replies. Most of the posts are in Chinese but you may see the photos attached.
http://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=106572&extra=&highlight=燈&page=1
http://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=107874

I am sure some of you must have a Himalayan Salt Lamp in your house, most probably in your bedrooms.
Why not do an experiment and move them to your listening areas?
It's fun!

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
In a nutshell, how does it make the sound better?

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
They act as giant dessicants , reducing moisture in the air and thus air density and we all know that sound travels sluggishly thru thick air.

In a *nut*shell.. they increases PRAT by a factor of 10...best tweak ever...who needs trinnov/dirac and room treatment or indeed expensive speakers when you got a Himalayan salty....

Elevated my wifes Crosley .. now it sounds like a Raven with a Koetsu ..best of all it cured the rising damp in her study

Reactions: Iving

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
This kind of "humorous " response is not unexpected. Haha

But I do hope that some WBF members can really try it out and then post their views here.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
It won’t be long before some obscure company releases a Quantum version of 50x the price.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
It won’t be long before some obscure company releases a Quantum version of 50x the price.

Maybe.
Luckily Himalayan Salt Lamps are widely available and inexpensive.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Do you lick it with accompanying tequila shots:)? That will make anything sound good!

david

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
As a dealer for himalayan salt lamps i d say its life changing improvement , nothing compared to tibetan salt lamps how ever but they are double in price :D

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
If putting little round stickers on your windows makes a monumental difference, why not these.....

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Obviously seasons the sound to the room.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
In a nutshell, how does it make the sound better?

Hello sbo6,
I would like to post my view on it a bit later, after WBF members have tred it out and told us what they think. Sorry.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Do you need one for each speaker? Where is optimal placement? Is there a minimum size?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
They act as giant dessicants , reducing moisture in the air and thus air density and we all know that sound travels sluggishly thru thick air.

Not that simple, I think.
Firstly, my salt lamp doesn't have the "sweating phenomena".
Also, the sonic effect disappears immediately when it is switched off and returns at once when switched on again.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Quite probable.
The Japanese brand Acoustic Revive makes the RIO-5 which heats up tourmaline and blows the ions out with a quiet fan.
Can a diy one be made with 1/50 of the price? I think so.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Do you need one for each speaker? Where is optimal placement? Is there a minimum size?

plus 2. I think I want one :D

I always liked lava lamps.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Quite probable.
The Japanese brand Acoustic Revive makes the RIO-5 which heats up tourmaline and blows the ions out with a quiet fan.
Can a diy one be made with 1/50 of the price? I think so.

http://www.ulta.com/tourmaline-ionic-professional-dryer?productId=xlsImpprod1080048

I also have a salt lamp in my room, I switched the bulb to LED and it's much brighter and doesn't burn out all the time but maybe a bit less heat. I have not tried listening for any changes, is there a best place to put it?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
http://www.ulta.com/tourmaline-ionic-professional-dryer?productId=xlsImpprod1080048
I also have a salt lamp in my room, I switched the bulb to LED and it's much brighter and doesn't burn out all the time but maybe a bit less heat. I have not tried listening for any changes, is there a best place to put it?

Hello Dave,
Two salt lamp user friends of mine claimed that conventional light bulbs give bigger sonic effect than using LED light source.
I have not compared them.
If feasible, please tell us your findings.

Concerning placement , there wasn't much diff as long as they are placed between the speakers and the listening seat.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing