Isolation for subwoofers

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
I'm monkeying around with some SVS SB-16 ULTRA subs with the 16" woofers and 8" voice coils.... Lots of sub for only $2000 each delivered! They weigh 122lbs!

I have Shun Mook "Giant Diamond Resonators" under both subs.
When I put the GDR's under the subs I noted a definite lack of chuff or puff with bass notes (probably room induced) and a more musical bass representation.

Interesting, placing a $2300 set of feet under a $2K Sub

Only in the Audiophile world does such a thing make sense :eek:

Walnut Horns

May 11, 2015
Like audioguy, I am curious whether these benefits are being heard when the subs are sitting on a concrete slab basement floor. Thanks.

Calle_jr

May 24, 2015
Sweden
www.euphonia-audioforum.se
I've got a pair of JL Audio e-110's on the way to complement ATC SCM 19A actives and am looking at acoustically and cosmetically better ways to get them off a medium shag carpet (over concrete) than the stock feet. From what I can tell, and ruling out spikes, there are isolation feet (SVS), isolation stands (IsoAcoustics), isolation pucks (IsoAcoustics) and isolation pads (Auralex, Ultimate Support, Primacoustic). All of them get very good reviews from users. Crutchfield (U.S.) carries many of these and likes the Auralex Sub-Dude. Others prefer the three-layer Auralex ProPad or similar models from other companies, although they are narrower (7.5-9"). Size is a consideration. The e-110s are 13.5" wide and 16.5" deep. It's not necessary to cover the whole bottom, but OTOH cosmetically I prefer it to look decent if smaller while not having a pad sticking out if larger, at least in the long run (e.g., the Sub-Dude is 15x15, so would want to cut it down eventually). The range of heights is 1" (Sub-Dude) to 4" (IsoAcoustics). Any thoughts, suggestions, experiences? Thanks,
You can get the best isolation or you can get the best performance of the subwoofer.
The two may or may not combine.
If you design feet/pads or whatever with isolation frequency below 70% of lowest audio signal frequency, you will get very good isolation in the whole range.
But all elastic supports will cause the baffle to move and to have a decay.
The baffle is the reference for the driver, so you will always have a distorted output.
On the other hand, elastic supports also limits reflections, which may be a big issue with spiked supports. And the building structure (floor) in some cases causes vibrations from excitation.

So, there is no general solution except to be careful with elastic supports.
I use elastic supports in some places, but quite stiff quality, to get high isolation above say 30Hz, but very small movements.

Edit: spelling.

Last edited:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Old thread. I got the SVS feet. And it seems that the floor is not directly over concrete.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Two JL Audio F113's sitting on Sound Anchors platforms. Wooden floor with raised foundation. The stands are very effective and raise the subwoofers off of the floor.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Two JL Audio F112v2's sitting on ASC SubTraps. These are very effective and raise the subwoofers off of the floor:

https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_2/asc-subtrap-6-2005.html

They work fantastic for me. Having the subs directly on the wooden floor sounds like crap, on the SubTraps bass is well-defined, fast, punchy.

I do believe the Sound Anchors platforms mentioned will also work well. My monitors are on Sound Anchors Signature stands -- excellent.

M-dB

Apr 2, 2017
View attachment 37933

I'm monkeying around with some SVS SB-16 ULTRA subs with the 16" woofers and 8" voice coils.... Lots of sub for only $2000 each delivered! They weigh 122lbs!

View attachment 37934

When I put the GDR's under the subs I noted a definite lack of chuff or puff with bass notes (probably room induced) and a more musical bass representation.

Instead of a buffet of bass the bass became more tune full and multi toned verses the one tone bass.
Again not noting any fault with the subs, you just have to mess with subs till you get them dialed into your room.

The SVS subs have an app for smart phones that makes them great to dial in from your listening seat.

My point is the Shun Mook aided in my dial in because I think they are managing the sub cabinet better than without them.

Also the MBL 101E MK2 speakers have great bass (don't need a sub) so the dial in becomes even more critical to get right.

A work in progress, but have heard some very nice integration so far.

Also subs can be very musically dependent, so far I haven't gotten them to work with Michael Jackson's "Thriller". The bass notes via 15ips tape is just too powerful and the sound is better with no sub. As I said a work in progress.....
View attachment 37933

View attachment 37934

Instead of a buffet of bass the bass became more tune full and multi toned verses the one tone bass.
Again not noting any fault with the subs, you just have to mess with subs till you get them dialed into your room.

The SVS subs have an app for smart phones that makes them great to dial in from your listening seat.

My point is the Shun Mook aided in my dial in because I think they are managing the sub cabinet better than without them.

Also the MBL 101E MK2 speakers have great bass (don't need a sub) so the dial in becomes even more critical to get right.

Also subs can be very musically dependent, so far I haven't gotten them to work with Michael Jackson's "Thriller". The bass notes via 15ips tape is just too powerful and the sound is better with no sub. As I said a work in progress.....

I've found this to be the first step
View attachment 37933

View attachment 37934

I've found using the subwoofer crawl test to be the beginning of introducing subwoofers to any room. A CD with a cadence of low frequency test tones can make the search go quickly.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
download vibration sensor app to your cell phone
it utilizes the accelerator sensor in the phone
place it on the floor in your listening position and you´ll see straigh away what helps or not...
the rubloc trisolator killed all sub vibes from my 4m hornsubs

Rdk777

Jul 9, 2019
I have suspended wood floors and used the Auralex Subdude II platform for my REL 528SE subwoofer. It actually created a rumble in my system, but only while playing the turntable. At first, I couldn't figure out what it was and almost went insane troubleshooting. Eventually figured out it was the platform - most likely because it wasn't very secured on the wood floor. Got rid of the platform and used a little blue-tac on the legs of the subwoofer. No more rumble and sound is good, but the subwoofer is stuck to the floor.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I have suspended wood floors and used the Auralex Subdude II platform for my REL 528SE subwoofer. It actually created a rumble in my system, but only while playing the turntable. At first, I couldn't figure out what it was and almost went insane troubleshooting. Eventually figured out it was the platform - most likely because it wasn't very secured on the wood floor. Got rid of the platform and used a little blue-tac on the legs of the subwoofer. No more rumble and sound is good, but the subwoofer is stuck to the floor.

The Auralex Subdude II looks flimsy. I also have suspended wood floors, and ASC SubTraps. These are excellent, and vastly beat having the subs directly on the floor.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing