Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Nice. Keen to know your report

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Congrats. Curious your thoughts vs the CA GF Statement. I have a Allaerts MC2 Finish installed right now. (my GF Statement taking a rest). Miss the higher output. But this is a nice cartridge to. It has a quickness, transparency and ability to unravel the notes, especially in the mid band, that's amazing.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Congrats. Curious your thoughts vs the CA GF Statement. I have a Allaerts MC2 Finish installed right now. (my GF Statement taking a rest). Miss the higher output. But this is a nice cartridge to. It has a quickness, transparency and ability to unravel the notes, especially in the mid band, that's amazing.

thanks.

I'm also very curious how the GFS and Strad Sig will compare; both with higher level outputs than most 'uber' MC's.

I have owned -7- vdH Colibri's in the past, although that was 7-14 years ago now. how much of that excitement is in this one?

later will likely add one more cartridge of some sort for a change of pace from the MC Anna - GFS - vdH Strad Sig .7

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
A stream of feedbacks on interesting arms, carts can be expected in WBF starting with Mike's.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
about 5-6 hours on it so far. a bit wooly here and there. jazdoc came over last night and helped me set it up and only speaking for myself heard much to like even brand new.

first impressions; throws a huge soundstage and it has terrific energy and openness. adds a forward propulsion to things. big bold bass grip. seems to like the dynamic capabilities of my system. so far glad it's in my system......

Strad Sig-2.jpg

Strad Sig-1.jpg

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Agree with Mike's initial impressions. Lack of a stylus guard does focus one's attention . The cartridge is very sensitive to changes in set up (a good thing). Looking forward to the next session!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
And I thought our Goldfinger Statements were exposed. Things really stick out.

But it's the sound that matters huh :) !

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
And I thought our Goldfinger Statements were exposed. Things really stick out.

But it's the sound that matters huh :) !

think Formula 1 car minimalist. nothing for show, only for 'go'. the coils are as close to the action as possible, maximum HP with the .7mv output, and it's knife edge in terms of set-up.

too early for any conclusions but......this thing is ALIVE!

this morning it's at around 12-13 hours so I rechecked the azimuth and dialed it in a little better, and checked VTF which was 1.38 grams (ideal 1.45-1.50), moved it to 1.51 grams, lowered the gain from 60db to 57db, and dropped the loading from 300 ohms to 150 ohms. seems more 'liquid' and 'delicate' now, terms I might not have thought much about up till now. and i'm getting more separation and resolution in the soundstage on large scale content.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Imo, new uber carts always make interesting impression at first. Only after keep switching the new cart with your uber reference cart on real time, would you know if you really like the new cart or is it just a wonderful different sound. You can easily answer to yourself when you have two same arms in your system and can listen to both carts at a flick of finger.

I bet anyone five bucks that after Mike has been living with this vdh for a while, he would still be listening to his GFS more.

Tang :p

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Imo, new uber carts always make interesting impression at first. Only after keep switching the new cart with your uber reference cart on real time, would you know if you really like the new cart or is it just a wonderful different sound. You can easily answer to yourself when you have two same arms in your system and can listen to both carts at a flick of finger.

I bet anyone five bucks that after Mike has been living with this vdh for a while, he would still be listening to his GFS more.

Tang :p

Good Morning (Seattle time) Tang,

how likely is it that the new kid on the block.......the kid who comes from the rough neighborhood, knocks off the champ?

I agree it is unlikely (but yet undetermined) that the vdH Strad Sig .7mv will have the refinement in the end to be top dog. it might be the energy champ, and the attack champ, but does it get into the inner musical message as deeply? does it provide textures as beguiling?

and you are correct that tonearm differences will make it more challenging to clearly know the whole answer. it might take a guy like you; who can afford 2 of many things, to help us with that answer. me switching carts back and forth is a less than definitive way to get that answer. but I will try.

I do see that this new dog might have a seat at the table though.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I've always been impressed with the energy put out by the VH carts, no surprise that you're getting that right out of the box. It seems like a great addition to your "wolf pack" of cartridges and a good compliment to the refined presentation of the Anna.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
and you are correct that tonearm differences will make it more challenging to clearly know the whole answer. it might take a guy like you; who can afford 2 of many things, to help us with that answer. me switching carts back and forth is a less than definitive way to get that answer. but I will try..

Good morning Seattle Mike,

You do have two same arms. Well not exactly the same..one with blue crystal the other no blue. But close enough.

That aside, You are at the point where your hearing and preferences are super mature. Just too sophisicated and demanding to move away from GFS which I believe has set the bar so damn high in your system sir.

I will never lose my five bucks.

Tang

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I've always been impressed with the energy put out by the VH carts, no surprise that you're getting that right out of the box. It seems like a great addition to your "wolf pack" of cartridges and a good compliment to the refined presentation of the Anna.

I agree about the vdH, although i'm only familiar with older versions of the Colibri models of vdH. those were knife edge explosive daredevils for sure. I use to tell people they reminded me of an old girlfriend, who you loved to spend the weekend with, but maybe not take her home to mama. there were good Colibri days, and bad Colibri days. you hoped for the best, but accepted whatever.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Good morning Seattle Mike,

You do have two same arms. Well not exactly the same..one with blue crystal the other no blue. But close enough.

That aside, You are at the point where your hearing and preferences are super mature. Just too sophisicated and demanding to move away from GFS which I believe has set the bar so damn high in your system sir.

I will never lose my five bucks.

Tang

Tang,

interestingly; my 2 Telos's are different enough that it matters, and makes it hard to do a straight up A/B. none-the-less I do agree that the total package of what the GFS brings will be a challenge. good thing my need was not to better the GFS at it's strengths (although that would be nice), but provide another view with different attributes. and so far, the vdH Strad Sig is an ultra 'space-machine', 'attack and energy demon'......all to a perceived higher level than the GFS (without doing a direct shootout). if it continues to behave, then it will be a welcome addition.

I've been listening to some small combo classical piano and cello, and romantic orchestral this morning and it's sounds promising.

your five bucks looks safe for now.:rolleyes:

Mike

cyclopse

Jul 25, 2016
about 5-6 hours on it so far. a bit wooly here and there. jazdoc came over last night and helped me set it up and only speaking for myself heard much to like even brand new.

first impressions; throws a huge soundstage and it has terrific energy and openness. adds a forward propulsion to things. big bold bass grip. seems to like the dynamic capabilities of my system. so far glad it's in my system......

View attachment 37917

View attachment 37918

A difficult install with no stylus guard. I think you can send them back after 200 hours for a fine tune.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
What cartridge is the GFS?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Mike, any updated impressions of the vdh Colibri signature?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing