Raven Two and Second Graham Phantom 9" Not Fitting.

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
So, after a long hiatus, I finally got serious and found a nice second 9" Graham Phantom to mount on the rear arm mount. Since my Graham 2.0 had fit, albeit closely, I figured the Phantom would be okay. Unfortunately, it doesn't, despite my best efforts to get to to work. I can't set the spindle to bearing length before the arm's DIN connector contacts the base of the TT. Even rotating the DIN connector and the arms base I'm about 1/8" or less short of being able to set the length. And even if I could get it it to set up the arm base has to be rotated too far inwards toward the platter and would place the arm in a precarious position when changing LP's. I'v tried all I can to make it work and alas, no luck. The biggest issue is that the Raven Two's left rear base, isn't cut inwards as deeply, offering less clearance, as it is on the right side.

So, a bitter lesson learned. I guess what I'd like to know is whether the 10.5" ver. might offer a better fit? I'd like to stick with and arm that allows easy cart. swapping. If anyone has a Raven Two with a second arm mounted I'd love to hear what you use and if anyone has had success 10.5" Phantom mounted in back. :cool:

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Well, after some quick email exchanges, (thanks Jeff C.) I was reminded (duh!) of the set screw adj. for rotating the arm's collar in relation to final position of the base. I was skeptical this would help since it was the P-to-S set up that was not working out. The arm's large DIN connector and TT base were not cooperating. I tried again and remembered a few tricks and manged to get it to work, barely! So everything seems hunky-dory for the time being. Whew! The 10.5" armwand would be a better fit that's for sure.

The Phantom

Sep 6, 2012
Well, after some quick email exchanges, (thanks Jeff C.) I was reminded (duh!) of the set screw adj. for rotating the arm's collar in relation to final position of the base. I was skeptical this would help since it was the P-to-S set up that was not working out. The arm's large DIN connector and TT base were not cooperating. I tried again and remembered a few tricks and manged to get it to work, barely! So everything seems hunky-dory for the time being. Whew! The 10.5" armwand would be a better fit that's for sure.

Since I've recently rejoined WBF, at least while I have the time to do so, I was naturally looking to find any Graham Tonearms mentioned. Your problem is easily fixed, and doesn't require buying an entire NEW arm, -- especially a different brand. (for shame)!!:) Installing one of our 10-inch armwands on your Phantom will give you plenty of clearance on the TW 'table. I used to have one of those, and it was a fine fit - and a great turntable, too. Good luck, - Bob

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing