Adnaco S3b USB vs the best PCIe cards?

Thetiminator

Apr 20, 2015
For a good few years I’ve been using the Adnaco S3b fibre optic extension system to output USB from my custom server. At the time the only PCIe card I compared it to was the SOTM tx card, the Adnaco beat it hands down.

Anyway, the other day my HDPlex power supply decided it didn’t want to send 5v to my Adnaco anymore and that 22v was a much better idea :(
So it’s off to Adnaco for repair. I’m thinking it’s maybe time to see what the best PCIe cards are like these days, specifically the Paul Pang and JCAT cards.....

Is there anyone who has tried these cards in the same system or even better compared one or other to the Adnaco (probably a long shot)?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks guys...

Marcin_gps

VIP Donor/Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
Hi Thetiminator,

I'm the founder of JCAT. Before I decided to develop JCAT USB Card and then FEMTO edition together with Adnaco, I'd been using Sotm cards, Adnaco S3A, Adnaco S3B, PPA card which Paul developed based on my input. I tried using Sotm / PPA cards in Adnaco S1B PCIe over fiber optics extension. The FEMTO edition of JCAT USB Card is by far the best solution especially when used together with an external LPS.

Best regards,
Marcin

Thetiminator

Apr 20, 2015
Hi Marcin
Thanks very much for taking the time to advise me. I’ve ordered the femto card from the EU website and I’ll drop you a PM to let you know how I get on after it’s run in.
Happy new year
Tim

Marcin_gps

Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
Hi Marcin
Thanks very much for taking the time to advise me. I’ve ordered the femto card from the EU website and I’ll drop you a PM to let you know how I get on after it’s run in.
Happy new year
Tim

Hi Tim,

Thank you - got it :)
Happy New Year!

BR
Marcin

limniscate

Jul 16, 2016
Romaz over at computeraudiophile.com tried the Adnaco but eventually switched off it. He's now using an Innuos ZENith Mk. II SE.

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
Very interesting. The Innuos is based on a SuperMicro $150 MB with an integrated USB port. A linear regulated PS indeed, but generally the hardware is as modest as it can reasonably get.

Thetiminator

Apr 20, 2015
Romaz over at computeraudiophile.com tried the Adnaco but eventually switched off it. He's now using an Innuos ZENith Mk. II SE.

Thanks limniscate
Could you expand a little or direct me to the thread if you can spare a minute?
Thanks in advance

limniscate

Jul 16, 2016
Very interesting. The Innuos is based on a SuperMicro $150 MB with an integrated USB port. A linear regulated PS indeed, but generally the hardware is as modest as it can reasonably get.

He claims it sounds as good or better than his custom server powered by a Paul Hynes SR7. Romaz doesn't spare any expense; he even sent Paul Hynes Furutech IECs for the SR7 and other components that Paul wouldn't source.

I have the bill of materials for his custom server if you'd like to see it.

limniscate

Jul 16, 2016
Thanks limniscate
Could you expand a little or direct me to the thread if you can spare a minute?
Thanks in advance
Sure

It's a huge thread though. My friend, Rajiv, took it over and made a table of contents, but Roy was the original poster:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...y-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/

Here's a thread over at head-fi about his server testings:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rev...r-auralic-aries-audiophile-vortex-box.787020/

Marcin_gps

Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu

It's because server boards such as supermicro sound quite a bit better than commercial motherboards. That said, adding a proper USB output and network controller improves things a lot.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing