Entreq Poseidon and magnetic suspension base

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
I've just installed two platforms based on magnetic levitation under both my Poseidons.
Those are an old project but never tried, and expecially never under a passive component as well.
First feedbacks are greatly positive, much calmer even at high sound pressure, trumpets and flutes even more real and without any hint of distortion, third dimension further increased , but I have to check more in detail, considering the settling time these boxes need every time they move

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
very cool! Look forward to more listening notes when you can.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
What is the maximum load that your platform can accept?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
That is fascinating Paolo!
I'll look forward to reading more from you and Mike once it's all settled in.
Currently debating whether to try the Auralux platforms as there are some dealers not far from me who advertise on Amazon uk

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
the 'floating' nature of mag-lev resembles the floating of the footers i'm using to such excellent effect on my Tripoint Elite and Troy Sig; the Hardpoint Trinia and Serene. I have no doubt it will work well.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Magnetic footers are different from everything else - most isolators show a linear behavior for small disturbances . Considering the pictures I have seen of magnetic footers with low magnet length, much smaller than radius or distance between magnets, they have a much more complex behavior - the force between magnets depends on the forth power of the distance. There is a point that is not clear to me - does the SAP 530 only achieve magnetic vertical isolation?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Reading the Relaxa 1 review, it would seem that mag-lev has a limitation in the horizontal plane due to the required guides. OTOH floating footers are limited in the vertical plane. At some point I will directly compare mag-lev to the Hardpoints.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Magnetic footers are different from everything else - most isolators show a linear behavior for small disturbances . Considering the pictures I have seen of magnetic footers with low magnet length, much smaller than radius or distance between magnets, they have a much more complex behavior - the force between magnets depends on the forth power of the distance. There is a point that is not clear to me - does the SAP 530 only achieve magnetic vertical isolation?

I am a bit puzzled by magnetic footers and wondering if you can help me.
We are recommended in tuning discs like the Nordost one to use them to degauss our systems and I use it on my system from time to time. If that is a valid procedure I am a bit confused about potential harmful magnetic effects on a system from such footers,
Can you shed any light on that?

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia

I confirm as already stated by Mike, the magnets, for the most part, exert a vertical isolation even if the center magnet acts as a center of a pivot.

Last edited:

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
I am a bit puzzled by magnetic footers and wondering if you can help me.
We are recommended in tuning discs like the Nordost one to use them to degauss our systems and I use it on my system from time to time. If that is a valid procedure I am a bit confused about potential harmful magnetic effects on a system from such footers,
Can you shed any light on that?

Hi Barry.
I was a little puzzled too!!!
But, I've thought that the piezo effect due to the minerals mix present into the boxes could be enhanced by the immersion into a magnetic field (in the worst case of very deep magnetic field).
However, running a simple test I didn't have any presence of magnetic field over the platform, or anyway so light that it must be measured with instruments.
So, I tried and the result is great.
Just one warning, it has to be avoid to install this kind of platform under a computer or any devices with disk or magnetic sensitive items.

Last edited:

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Reading the Relaxa 1 review, it would seem that mag-lev has a limitation in the horizontal plane due to the required guides. OTOH floating footers are limited in the vertical plane. At some point I will directly compare mag-lev to the Hardpoints.

Mike, just install the Hardpoints footers on top of Relaxa platform. :eek:

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Great results here with Yamamoto Mag-Lev footers under components but be aware that they don't appear to work well when loaded near full loading. Think of your car with hard suspension compared to soft. I think around 60% -75% loading is a just right feel though have never seen any technical figures for this.

Used in conjunction with roller ball type footers and you have both horizontal and vertical axis covered. Similar to Stacore platforms with pneumatic and roller ball isolation.

The only problem is finding Mag-lev footers strong enough for heavy components and the possibility of stronger magnetic fields affecting performance.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing