Imbalance in stereo soundstage

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Recently it was pointed out to me that my right speaker was dominating the soundstage, in this case Diana Krall's voice was biased toward the right speaker instead of being centered. I had noted this condition generally but it meant nothing to me; now I am interested in the cause. My room is asymmetrical so the right speaker has more space around it than the left and this might be the cause. I have corrected the problem by using the balance control on my Dartzeel 18NS preamp which raises the gain on the left speaker while lowering it on the right, thus balancing without affecting volume.

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
Perhaps the best approach is to first make sure the electrical gain of both channels is equal and then measure the speakers acoustical output.

Alternatively, by reversing left and right channels at both input and output of the amplifying chain one can also eliminate an electrical disbalance as being the root cause.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
The asymmetrical acoustic environment you describe can easily cause this. I have a slightly asymmetrical room and it happens in my room. I solved it by moving one of the speakers about 3 inches closer to the listening position.

You can also try to toe the weak speaker directly at the listening position and then toe the other speaker that is too loud outward a bit.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Toe in will never fix it. You can only screw things up by trying to do that. It is nonsense to try and fix it that way. All you'll do is make two different EQ patterns for each speaker, because where you sit will have different volumes in different frequency ranges as you toe in or out. It doesn't move things right/left.

Move the speaker in the bigger space back and forth. The distance from the back wall/area of it is the primary factor in imbalance r/l. Generally a few inches will do the trick.

This use to boggle my mind. Then when I figured it out/read about it, all was well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing