LA Audio Show 2018-GREAT NEWS

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I really enjoyed the email. It was like a a politician's speech when resigning over a scandal: "Admit mistake, bring random inspiration quote, talk about Jesus."

This made me giggle!
I trolled the blog page and I have my theories, but I will hold my tongue until the source speaks. There are a couple hints in there and time will tell.
I have never met her, don't know who she is.

I have had some fantastic conversations with Richard in the past however that I hold close.

I do know that it is hard to maintain unity through division and I will just say I believe there may have been some behind the scenes bullying going on here....maybe not...maybe I am just all wet here.

Maybe I am way out of line here with speculation and conjecture.

Ultimately everyone knew it was not going to end well for either party and geographic area.

Looked like AXPONA was a hoot, next year lets do a meet & drink. I mean greet in Colorado!

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
LAOCAS has always been heavily involved in THE Show since day one and LAAS and this is where I go mute as there is a lot that I do not know.

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com
Show organizer reputedly claims 45 exhibitors are on board.

Well why don’t they show an exhibitor list on their website? It doesn’t inspire confidence when you can’t tell who is going to be there...

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
Well why don’t they show an exhibitor list on their website? It doesn’t inspire confidence when you can’t tell who is going to be there...

Good question. Either they are embarrassed by the low number of participants or they have no idea how to promote an audio show.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com

That is the exact reason I haven't done that show. Same thing happened last year with not showing an exhibitor list and that's the reason I passed on that show. Well that and the fact that we were already booked with the LAAS show. And Southern California doesn't need 2 audio shows in a year IMO. I suspected that the show would cancel last year because they didn't show any rooms booked and sure enough it did. I have the same feeling about this year. But hopefully I am wrong and there will be a good show. Bottom line is I hope Marine is ok and that things work out for her. Crap happens in life. Just got to roll with it. Hopefully the people that have money invested are able to get compensated somehow. The airlines aren't very friendly in this arena:(

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
[FONT=palatino\ linotype]Thanks, miniguy.[/FONT] :cool:

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I knew Richard Beers(RIP)--a very personable and approachable gentleman:)

How the hell did this flaky pastry Woman get to run a Hi End Audio show

-Interesting to see how much Dosh gets refunded to ALL involved--Maybe not to hold ones breath?:p

BruceD

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
From Bob Levi (in an LAOCAS update):

Sent: Friday, May 4, 2018
Subject: Coming Soon: LA&OC Audio Society Presents Brooks Berdan LTD. May 5 Celebration! Grand Raffle Prize Announced and LAAS Update!!

Dear Members and Friends,

LAAS Bulletin: The Society is confused over the reasons for the cancellation of LAAS. As a sponsor we are still trying to find out what happened. The Society does not sponsor any other Audio show in California.

. . .

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Show organizer reputedly claims 45 exhibitors are on board.

From the recent email looks like 8-10 rooms. Not great. If it’s not 20-25 rooms and with LAOCS support, hard to see how it happens.

My guess is folks throw in the towel and wait for next year.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
IMHO, the more shows that throw in the towel on the West Coast, the less likely a show organizer will be willing to take the risk to start a future endeavor. Not a good thing.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
This is embarrasing and looks very bad for California. I want to go since it is not a huge distance to drive to, but I don't think there will be a large turnout. Time to start traveling for better shows out of state!

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
[FONT=palatino\ linotype]I believe Greg Beron will be hosting an after-hours tape soiree at T.H.E. Show this year...I might drive up just for that! :cool:[/FONT]

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
Watching this debacle very much affirms to me how important people and organization is to a show. I don't know who would jump in to run RMAF without Marjorie, and even AXPONA had many growing pains before and during the hand over to JD Events. Fortunately they run expos/shows for a living, and seem to keep improving. Being a hobbyist/enthusiast niche market, someone with a lot of passion an energy has to get it going, as the numbers vs unknowns likely wouldn't make sense at the start to any larger organization. Just as we've seen with so many manufacturers in the market, as shows grow it's important to flesh out the organization and operations if there is any expectation to be sustainable and possibly survive the absence of the founding personality.

T.H.E. Show doesn't show floor maps and only shows the 2nd floor to have rooms available for exhibiting. I suspect they let the hotel sell through a significant chunk of the initially allocated demo rooms for sleeping rooms due to low participation, and now there is very limited space to expand the show.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Mark,

If you want to exhibit, pick up the phone and call the organizers of THE Show. They, like the Axpona folks, also run shows/expos for a living, and all my dealings with them have been very professional.

The hotel is small, so even in they had the whole place, it wouldn't be a huge show like Axpona. But it'll likely be better than last year's LAAS show at that horrible hotel by LAX.

cheers,
alex

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Mark,

If you want to exhibit, pick up the phone and call the organizers of THE Show. They, like the Axpona folks, also run shows/expos for a living, and all my dealings with them have been very professional.

The hotel is small, so even in they had the whole place, it wouldn't be a huge show like Axpona. But it'll likely be better than last year's LAAS show at that horrible hotel by LAX.

cheers,
alex

Alex, as an industry insider, are you at all concerned that THE Show will cancel, like the LAAS did?

Just curious..

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Not at all.
They kept it real this time. The plans for last year's show was extremely aggressive, and with the health issues the organizers faced, it was just not doable. No such thing going this year. As I said, it likely won't be big, but I hope it'll be fun.
I'll post details of our system there soon. The SP10 will be there.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing