BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
? https://thenextweb.com/apps/2017/12/13/tidal-might-die-in-2018-leaving-audiophiles-in-the-lurch/

That would be truly awful.
But, it would help the sales of vinyls, which @ the end is more audiophile than Tidal.
IMO

Interesting article. But why you think it might help vinyl sales escapes me. One of the many benefits of Tidal is the ability to investigate so much new music and find artists I have never heard of. 90%+++ of the music or artists don't produce music on vinyl. I would be more than bummed if Tidal goes "toes up". I no longer buy music when there is so much available on Tidal. I guess I would then try one of the other Flac music providers.

Tough business apparently ... and, as the article noted, when you have two gorillas in the playing field (Apple and Amazon) kind of tough to compete. Both of those companies are so cash rich they can afford to not make money for a year or 40 in any particular business segment!! Maybe one of them would pick up the Tidal pieces if it crashes and burns.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Music should be bought not Rented , if you buy music artists get more money from physical media

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Interesting article. But why you think it might help vinyl sales escapes me. One of the many benefits of Tidal is the ability to investigate so much new music and find artists I have never heard of. 90%+++ of the music or artists don't produce music on vinyl. I would be more than bummed if Tidal goes "toes up". I no longer buy music when there is so much available on Tidal. I guess I would then try one of the other Flac music providers.

Tough business apparently ... and, as the article noted, when you have two gorillas in the playing field (Apple and Amazon) kind of tough to compete. Both of those companies are so cash rich they can afford to not make money for a year or 40 in any particular business segment!! Maybe one of them would pick up the Tidal pieces if it crashes and burns.

Chuck, I was saying that with a dose of humor. I agree that Tidal gives a wide music repertoire to a specific clientele, even if I am personally biased against their founders. But this is strictly business.

I mentioned vinyls because it is gaining, in particular in Europe, and because it is much better for people's sanity overall. ...In my very calculated opinion; lots of good stuff yet unexplored from the medium.

Anyway, Tidal can find new life from new owners with a classical repertoire across the other genres. If they are losing money it tells something. Perhaps they can charge double to pay for royalties?
I don't know, they do. I'm sure someone else is going to take over and make it better for people who enjoy it and provide it. But the providers they need to make money, and the customers they need to pay money.
Music is not free, unless you go to garage sales and get LP collections for a song. ...High Fidelity Mono and Stereo.

Kids they don't care about Tidal, they get what they want somewhere else for the price of satisfaction.

Yes, music is a tough business to be in today, that's why we have audiophile's forums to give us the best music directions, Long Plays, various speeds...45, 15, 30, 33, 78, tapes, CD/SACD, Blu-ray Audio, analog and digital radio, hi res downloads, YouTube, iTunes, Roon, and Tidal's eventual takeover.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Music should be bought not Rented , if you buy music artists get more money from physical media

Naa, that was 20 years ago. Now most of my buddies have leased cars, rent a house forever, and use credit cards never save up. It is the modern way I am afraid. Beides, all vinyl that real estate used up in your house not to mention the weight and dust hassles.

The funny thing is, up to now I haven't heard a DAC that levels with a good TT, not quite. That may change soon....

But yes, Tidal. I hope they survive. Apple and Amazon are killing music IMO, making it cheap and click happy, overpriced tracks for big money. Why do Apple not stream high res, or even 44.1? Because they want to have users listen on their devices which are not audiophile at all. That and battery life, disc space and bandwidth.

So we have no listening to the whole album anymore, and the quality is garbage to boot. Seems like we move forward with technology but the sound gets worse, really clever!:mad:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

My next friend neighbor is pro musician; he makes more money from CD royalties than streaming.
And CDs aren't selling much nowadays as compared to yesterday. So he is poor.
Unless your name is Adele or Talyor or the Beatles or the Stones, it's a tough life to be an artist.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

Finding music easier that streaming provides is beneficial for everyone - artists and consumers.

I wouldn't know half the artists if not for Tidal - which means the artist never had a chance to sell a cd or concert ticket before it existed.

millennials didn't buy cds anyways even before streaming.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Finding music easier that streaming provides is beneficial for everyone - artists and consumers.

I wouldn't know half the artists if not for Tidal - which means the artist never had a chance to sell a cd or concert ticket before it existed.

millennials didn't buy cds anyways even before streaming.

You have the main point, exposure to a wider spectrum of musicians/singers artists...the good with the bad; we make our own choice from the selection they offer us. The main aspect of Tidal, in addition of this, is perfect CD bit-for-bit sound quality. ...Plus MQA.

Regular radio cannot do that, and they cannot promote as vast a repertoire of new music artists of great talent...poor or rich. But on the later it depends, of which and which radio station, their programmation @ different times. Tidal is not the only way to explore new and beautiful music from new artists.

People who love Tidal they should simply write to them and ask them to charge twice for a year's subscription, so that they can survive, you too, and that still's peanuts for digital audiophiles.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
People who love Tidal they should simply write to them and ask them to charge twice for a year's subscription, so that they can survive, you too, and that still's peanuts for digital audiophiles.

Qubuz Sublime is £350 per year $500 approx tidal could do the same
add tidal & roon still very cheap

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Audiophiles could pay 5x what they currently do, but it would be a small proportion of Tidal’s income.
Would the remaining majority be willing to pay more? My guess is, not many of them.
£20/month is nothing for us as a group who really value music. But that’s not the prevailing attitude in the modern age.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Audiophiles could pay 5x what they currently do, but it would be a small proportion of Tidal’s income.
Would the remaining majority be willing to pay more? My guess is, not many of them.
£20/month is nothing for us as a group who really value music. But that’s not the prevailing attitude in the modern age.

Well I don't think £20 per month is nothing actually, and don't forget you never own it. The modern trend is to rent music, rent cars (lease) rent disability scooters, we rent phones with a contract.

It is a tide that we can't stop, and the younger audience will never go buy CDs like the 50 somethings did IMO. Yes, a cluster of interest and some vinyl buyers, but it is tiny. The record charts is a joke, number one in the pop charts can be had for pitifully low sales of physical media, that is why they now take into account downloads.

Back to artists not getting as much money, that is not always the case. Many small bands have deals direct for downloads, no physical media or record company ripping them off.

I think Apple are the big ripp off with iTunes, selling MP3s for CD money. They have zero interest in selling full res or high res, and in fact have the high res files ready, just pump out 256k mp3s or apple compressed formats.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Well I don't think £20 per month is nothing actually, and don't forget you never own it. The modern trend is to rent music, rent cars (lease) rent disability scooters, we rent phones with a contract.

It is a tide that we can't stop, and the younger audience will never go buy CDs like the 50 somethings did IMO. Yes, a cluster of interest and some vinyl buyers, but it is tiny. The record charts is a joke, number one in the pop charts can be had for pitifully low sales of physical media, that is why they now take into account downloads.

Back to artists not getting as much money, that is not always the case. Many small bands have deals direct for downloads, no physical media or record company ripping them off.

I think Apple are the big ripp off with iTunes, selling MP3s for CD money. They have zero interest in selling full res or high res, and in fact have the high res files ready, just pump out 256k mp3s or apple compressed formats.

Hi astrostar59,

I concur with a lot of what you've said.

It's why I continue to buy physical media (vinyl, CD) and download stuff I like from Bandcamp where I have a choice of WAV, AIFF, and sometimes, cassette. I never use iTunes.

I do stream, but only from Spotify, and mainly to find music I like which I then purchase (Presto Classical for classical, Bandcamp, Boomkat and Bleep for most others - though this is obviously a reflection of my own music tastes). In terms of artists receiving a fairer share of profits, Bandcamp by far exceeds streaming services, excepting major label artists who own their own masters (U2, Metallica, Mariah Carey, Rhianna, Prince's estate, etc), and in any case, they can derive income from a wider range of ventures (touring, merchandise, licensing).

For a lot of the lesser-known artists I like (again, a reflection of my music preferences), Bandcamp, Boomkat and Bleep are my go-to. In terms of discovering new artists or releases, they do a better job of curating and introducing me to similar artists than Spotify (or Tidal), whose algorithms have proven to be heavily biased to a limited number of artists. Again, this works for me because of my music preferences, so it may not be the case for those with different taste.

For what it might be worth, Bandcamp is also profitable (1). Can't say that about Spotify or Tidal.

Best,

853guy

(1) "2017 was another stellar year for Bandcamp, with double digit growth in every aspect of the business. Digital album sales were up 16%, tracks 33%, and merch 36%. Growth in physical sales was led by vinyl (up 54%), CDs (up 18%), and cassettes (up 41%). Revenue from the 3,500 independent labels on Bandcamp grew 73%, and more than 600,000 artists have now sold something through the site. Our publication, Bandcamp Daily, grew its audience by 84%, and all-time payments to artists through Bandcamp reached $270 million. We launched a new app for artists and labels, added gift cards, improved fan collections, held successful fundraisers for the ACLU and TLC, and we’ll soon mark six straight years as a profitable company that only makes money when artists make a lot more money."

https://daily.bandcamp.com/2018/02/12/the-bandcamp-2017-year-in-review/

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing