Chateau Lafite 2008

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I received two bottles of this excelent wine as a present, but looks to me it is quite young yet to open it, do any of you agree? If so, how many years shall this wine wait at cellar time to be at its best.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Honestly?

If I were in your shoes, I would not drink this wine.

I would sell it.

I have been selling my own stash of Lafite lately.

Why?

Because Lafite is experiencing something like Nasdaq 5,000 right now.

Possibly Nasdaq 4,000 with some more upside to go, but hard to tell right now.

With the Asian economic boom, there are some newly minted millionaires and all they want to drink is Chateau Lafite Rothschild.

They've bid the price of this wine into the stratosphere.

Your bottles are worth around $1,600 each.

They likely won't be in their peak drinking window for at least 20 years.

Personally, I cannot drink a bottle of wine that costs so much.

There is just no way any wine can live up to the expectation when each glass is worth around $300, each sip around $25, etc.

Further, I know that I can take that money and buy a whole bunch of wine of equal quality for a fraction of the cost.

I would be more than happy to help direct you to wines of equal quality for far less money.

So, whether you sell it now or hold into it and see if it will continue to rise in value, I would counsel that you not drink it.

Just my opinion.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Flez has some well-heeled friends.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
@rsbeck - I agree with you all the way, I have some friends that could trade this bottles for some others I would immediatly enjoy.

@mep - I was really surprised to receive this two bottles, this friend is a well-off individual and quite generous.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
flez-your friend is obviously both things you stated. Good for you bro.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Mep & rsback - These bottles read Chateau Lafitte 2008 with two TTs, not one as the original Lafite I remember, I am fearing we are in front of two very different bottles.

The original bottle reads Rotschild Paulac, these does not - I will dig further in the internet but looks these are just regular French wine.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have found the URL.. www.chateaulafitte.fr, all points to a different bottle than the famous Rotschild ....

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Interesting.....probably won't be able to sell those for quite as much as you would if they were Lafite with one "T".

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Yeap, these are $60 a bottle wine :) just checked online... I will justvenjoy them this same weekend...

mep

Apr 20, 2010
flez-since I know nothing of wines, what's the deal here? Are these not true bottles of Chateau Lafite that you were given? Besides the price, what is the difference?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
These are Chateau Lafitte with two t's, the famous and expensive one is with just on t and reads Chateau Lafite... Both French wines but different vinyards. I assume the difference in price $60 vs $1,500 reflects its quality....

Soundminded

Apr 26, 2012
The replacement value of this bottle right now is between about $900 and $1200. Wine is not for selling, it is for enjoying.

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/d...teau+lafite-rothschild,+pauillac,+france/2008

I would not consider opening this bottle until it is at least 20 years old and even then... I've got 3 bottles of 1986 in my cellar. A very special wine for the most special occasions to share with friends who appreciate something so unique.

http://www.vinopedia.com/wine/Chateau+Lafite+Rothschild+2008

Keep this and it will only appreciate in value if you really want to sell it. A much better investment and more certain appreciation than Facebook stock.

http://www.vinopedia.com/wine/Chateau+Lafite+Rothschild+2008

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing