Another upgrade path

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
As previously discussed, getting some really great playback in my new room.
A couple of upgrade paths had been milling in my mind, one being a once and final tt move, possibly to SME 30/2. Another with my new found respect for digital, being SGM server w T&A Dac8 or Aqua Formula DAC.
One gives me an instant major upstick in SQ on my 2k lps, one gives me those lps in digital at cutting edge SQ and a whole library of classical, jazz and new music to come.
My reservations to go down these routes are that I have high hopes for tt being reinstalled next wk, having been so happy with it for the last few years, and my current cdp being so compelling/my antipathy to streaming.

I was perusing eBay recently, and there’s a whole world of vinyl first pressings, Japanese pressings (of which I own a fair number), and these promise improved sound quality to some of the 80s standard quality reissues pressings I currently own.

Hence here is another way to burn cash, in effect a third upgrade path, ie replace my fave lps on superior vinyl, for the same sorts of sums current audiophile pressings are asking, £30-60, occasionally £120+.

So, save the money from replacing my current vinyl, and get that SME to get an instant upstick on whole collection at once, or give in to exemplary digital in 2017 and go SGM server option.
Or fetishise even more rebuying 1000+ of my most fave vinyl for ones that were released at the time or given the Japanese pressings upstick.

Last edited:

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
As previously discussed, getting some really great playback in my new room.
A couple of upgrade paths had been milling in my mind, one being a once and final tt move, possibly to SME 30/2. Another with my new found respect for digital, being SGM server w T&A Dac8 or Aqua Formula DAC.
One gives me an instant major upstick in SQ on my 2k lps, one gives me those lps in digital at cutting edge SQ and a whole library of classical, jazz and new music to come.
My reservations to go down these routes are that I have high hopes for tt being reinstalled next wk, having been so happy with it for the last few years, and my current cdp being so compelling/my antipathy to streaming.

Another possibility, much less expensive:

If you want to improve your digital and you already have a DAC or your CDP can be used as a DAC, add a Synchro-Mesh reclocker and a high-performance BNC-BNC coax cable. This will reduce the jitter of your transport to 30psec and upsample to 24/96.

If you do decide on a server, make sure you do Ethernet, not USB. I have offered both interfaces using the same clocking circuits. Ethernet is simply better. If you do Ethernet, it is not necessary to buy the server, just use any laptop to stream with Jriver, Audirvana + or Roon.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Steve, I actually don’t feel the compulsion to improve my digital or analog. I am very content w both. That’s not to say I don’t believe there are superior paths in both, SME being one, SGM/Formula being another.
The purpose of this thread is really to pose the interesting third way which is: if not compelled to go uber front end, there is a world of potentially better sounding software out there, viz. first pressings/Japanese vinyl, and to some extent Japanese SHM-CD.
The maths is that at current prices similar to audiophile pressings, a few years of replacing my current vinyl with these alternatives gives me the funds for these front end options.
So, five years of spending on first issues/Japanese pressings to acquire 500-750 stellar lps, or sit tight, save this money, and buy that SME in five years.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Steve, I actually don’t feel the compulsion to improve my digital or analog. I am very content w both. That’s not to say I don’t believe there are superior paths in both, SME being one, SGM/Formula being another.
The purpose of this thread is really to pose the interesting third way which is: if not compelled to go uber front end, there is a world of potentially better sounding software out there, viz. first pressings/Japanese vinyl, and to some extent Japanese SHM-CD.
The maths is that at current prices similar to audiophile pressings, a few years of replacing my current vinyl with these alternatives gives me the funds for these front end options.
So, five years of spending on first issues/Japanese pressings to acquire 500-750 stellar lps, or sit tight, save this money, and buy that SME in five years.

Marc, the landscape may be different in five years, and who knows what might catch your fancy then? SME may even have developed a new turntable by then. And digital will certainly have improved yet again.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Peter, I do get that.
My proposition is that finding first pressings and Japanese issues is an instant uplift to sound quality (I have an almost complete Miles Davis and John Coltrane originals and Japanese series of pressings, and these seriously outclass the poorer 80s UK vinyl reissues I initially bought).
But by the time I have completed re-buying my 1000 fave albums this way in a few years, I’d certainly would have had the funds for a 30/2, even a 30/12.
So my thoughts are not about an SME per se, just higher quality lp collection or higher quality tt.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing