Kef ls50s

audiohobby

Jun 19, 2012
I went to listen to these after hearing so many good reviews. I was not very impressed. The bass was weak, I could hear the port, and it sounded a bit bright.

Anybody heard these?

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I had a pair...they are very good when played within their capabilities , lowish volume , music with little low bass , small room , nearfield listening
I subsequently paired them with 2 x SVS sb13 ultra subs , running the crossover in the 80-90hz region *via minidsp*.. a little better in that they went a bit louder without sounding bad when bass was limited to them.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
A pair of 2nd hand LS50's came up for sale at $500 so I bought them to hear what all the fuss was about... I was running Meridian DSP actives at the time ..
I used a Bryston 4bSST amp to drive the Ls50s , used the minidsp as pre/dac/room correction
There really is no comparison to the Giya's..the G1 spirits do scale and grandeur , they slay the kefs in all departments...

patagent

Jun 23, 2017
I have the KEF Q100 in my closet somewhere. Heard LS50 at the Schiit store running off of Vidar and Yggy. Unimpressed. Heard LS50Wireless. Unimpressed. Heard Reference 1 at an audio show. Was not bad but I can think of better ways to spend $8000 on speakers. You might want to demo Elac AS-61 which is a 3 way bookshelf and will be shipping soon (retails for $2500).

patagent

Jun 23, 2017
Unimpressed because?

The LS50 sound like small speakers (which they are). The music was not immersive and the soundstage is meh. There are other small speakers that can provide immersive experience and large soundstage (Kii 3's) albeit at a much higher price point.
As you mentioned, the low end is lacking and I'm also not a fan of its aluminum tweeters (sounds tinny to my ears).

The reference 1's sound much bigger but the demo I heard had all kinds of room issues.

audiohobby

Jun 19, 2012
I also found to my surprise that the sound changed quite noticeably with ear position. I thought the coaxial driver would minimise this problem.

Why are they so highly reviewed? Stereophile and other magazines gave the five star reviews

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
The LS50 sound like small speakers (which they are). The music was not immersive and the soundstage is meh. There are other small speakers that can provide immersive experience and large soundstage (Kii 3's) albeit at a much higher price point.
As you mentioned, the low end is lacking and I'm also not a fan of its aluminum tweeters (sounds tinny to my ears).

The reference 1's sound much bigger but the demo I heard had all kinds of room issues.

I've heard both the KEF's you mention and preferred the LS 50. Probably the room differences, etc.

IMHO, the LS 50's are an outstanding speaker for the money.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing