Best Preamplifiers for Nagra Classic Amp?

4music

Apr 15, 2013
I have Nagra Classic amp for a while now, paired with Ypsilon PST mk. II which might not be the best pairing given the high frequency emphasis of the pre.

Obviously the Nagra Classic Pre is a natural partner. Interested to hear opinions on preamp matching with the Classic amp which seems to be very sensitive to partnering equipment choices (pre, cables, etc..)

Tim

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I have Nagra Classic amp for a while now, paired with Ypsilon PST mk. II which might not be the best pairing given the high frequency emphasis of the pre.

Obviously the Nagra Classic Pre is a natural partner. Interested to hear opinions on preamp matching with the Classic amp which seems to be very sensitive to partnering equipment choices (pre, cables, etc..)

Tim

I used to own a Classic amp. Now HD amps. I used a Koda K10 to great effect with the Classic amp. I have heard the Classic pre, it's excellent too. I use Transparent cables which are a great match also...Good luck

4music

Apr 15, 2013
I used to own a Classic amp. Now HD amps. I used a Koda K10 to great effect with the Classic amp. I have heard the Classic pre, it's excellent too. I use Transparent cables which are a great match also...Good luck

Thanks for the info. Could you elaborate on Koda vs Nagra Classic Pre differences? My audition of the Classic pre was brief and not in my system, but my impressions was of a rather dark sound with more midbass emphasis that I am used to.

Thank you

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thanks for the info. Could you elaborate on Koda vs Nagra Classic Pre differences? My audition of the Classic pre was brief and not in my system, but my impressions was of a rather dark sound with more midbass emphasis that I am used to.

Thank you

No way I'd call the Nagra Classic pre as dark or midband emphasizing. It's right down the middle accurate in my opinion, very very resolving. What you heard in that brief audition wasn't the Classic's fault.

The Koda is less resolving/dynamic, but more rich in colors and denser timbres. If I would have heard the Classic preamp before I bought my Koda K10, I would have bought the Classic pre. I did listen to the Classic preamp with the Nagra MPS power supply...I used to own a Nagra PLL preamp...the Nagra pre's are all very good. The Nagra Jazz is another possibility for less $$'s.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
I agree with everything John said. I am using the Classic pre with HD amps and enjoy the sound so much, I'm considering the HD pre once final details are available. I use Transparent as well and would not consider the sound dark in any way.

Dave

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I agree with everything John said. I am using the Classic pre with HD amps and enjoy the sound so much, I'm considering the HD pre once final details are available. I use Transparent as well and would not consider the sound dark in any way.

Dave

Hi Dave, so great pics and info here in a Nagra Newsletter https://spark.adobe.com/page/HjOIpdamYIqQL/

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

Dave

I was at one of my local dealers Saturday and this is the pairing they are using while waiting for their HD pre-amp. The sound was excellent.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Hi Dave, so great pics and info here in a Nagra Newsletter https://spark.adobe.com/page/HjOIpdamYIqQL/

John,
Wow, it really looks amazing? Did you hear it with Casey? I was all in but $60k is out of my comfort zone for a pre but so were the HD's. This is not a good hobby for an impulse buyer. I need to hear it before I can come to terms with the price of admission. Thanks for the link.

Dave

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
John,
Wow, it really looks amazing? Did you hear it with Casey? I was all in but $60k is out of my comfort zone for a pre but so were the HD's. This is not a good hobby for an impulse buyer. I need to hear it before I can come to terms with the price of admission. Thanks for the link.

Dave

I did not get to listen to it. I was traveling for work and he only had it for a short period of time. Casey was apparently super impressed.

I hear you on the price (pun :), but we also know what our HD amps sound like...I've asked our dealer what delivery time is, expecting a call today or tomorrow...

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
I was at one of my local dealers Saturday and this is the pairing they are using while waiting for their HD pre-amp. The sound was excellent.

Jim,
I have really liked the Nagra/Wilson combos i've heard, very musical with a lot of meat on the bone. Did you hear the Alexia 2 with the HD amps? I heard them with MSB amps which were good but not my preference. The REF dac was really nice.

Dave

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Jim,
I have really liked the Nagra/Wilson combos i've heard, very musical with a lot of meat on the bone. Did you hear the Alexia 2 with the HD amps? I heard them with MSB amps which were good but not my preference. The REF dac was really nice.

Dave

Dave
I heard the Nagra gear playing through magico S3 mkII.

4music

Apr 15, 2013
No way I'd call the Nagra Classic pre as dark or midband emphasizing. It's right down the middle accurate in my opinion, very very resolving. What you heard in that brief audition wasn't the Classic's fault.

The Koda is less resolving/dynamic, but more rich in colors and denser timbres. If I would have heard the Classic preamp before I bought my Koda K10, I would have bought the Classic pre. I did listen to the Classic preamp with the Nagra MPS power supply...I used to own a Nagra PLL preamp...the Nagra pre's are all very good. The Nagra Jazz is another possibility for less $$'s.

Many thanks to everybody for their input/suggestions. Will try to audition The Nagra Classic Pre in my system again for an extended period. I am using Tara Labs Muse Cables and YG Carmel 2 as speakers. The YG/Nagra Classic pairing is phenomenal.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Many thanks to everybody for their input/suggestions. Will try to audition The Nagra Classic Pre in my system again for an extended period. I am using Tara Labs Muse Cables and YG Carmel 2 as speakers. The YG/Nagra Classic pairing is phenomenal.

Let us know what you think ! Try the Classic with a Nagra VFS and Nagra MPS if you can...

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
A customer of mine (a dealer actually) tested the Aries Cerat Incito against the Nagra classic preamp on a Nagra classic amp, his report (I wasn't there) was the Incito was markedly better on all accounts. So, if you are looking for pairing options (at almost half the cost of a Nagra preamp)...

bluedoor

Jun 19, 2013
Using mine with a good ol' PLL. I know there are better out there in Nagra land but for now I'm pretty satisfied with both.
My goal is to get the Classic pre when the time comes. Or HD if I win the lottery :)
Cables are Cardas Clear and Avalon speakers which also go very well with Nagra.
And like Jfrech said, please try the VFS on the Classic amp, you'll be surprised...
But don't take my words for it, try it.

Last edited:

essrand

Jan 8, 2018
Resurrecting this old-ish thread.

I am looking for a good full-function preamp for a Nagra amp as well (300p).

Any recommendations?

@4music, what preamp did you finally end up with?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing