Today a special listening

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
G'day Gian,
Nice to hear that your son is visiting and yes this is a beautiful place, as it was once voted the most liveable city.
Would certainly be nice to meet him. I usually have only Sun & Mon off. Send me a message and I'll send you my contact details if your son would like to meet up. Perhaps on a Monday I could spend some time.
I'll wait for your reply. Cheers mate
RJ

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Many thanks,you are so kind.
They are 8 friend with 2 van and are traveling a lot,and tomorrow or after tomorrow they go to visit other places
Thanks again

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
G'day Gian,
Nice to hear that your son is visiting and yes this is a beautiful place, as it was once voted the most liveable city.
Would certainly be nice to meet him. I usually have only Sun & Mon off. Send me a message and I'll send you my contact details if your son would like to meet up. Perhaps on a Monday I could spend some time.
I'll wait for your reply. Cheers mate
RJ

Problem if his son turns out to be a panels guy and likes your system more than his father's. Might never go back to Italy then

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hey Gian,
I just sent you a message with my contact details. Pass this along to your son in case he needs assistance with anything in Melbourne, I can easily help him.

8 friends and 2 vans, definitely sounds like a lot of traveling. I am sure they will have a wonderful time in Victoria state.
Wish our new house was built then your son could have a place to stay if ever he visits Melbourne. At the moment we live in a small unit which is joined with 4 other units alongside. The good thing with this place is the audio system is in the front lounge, therefore when music is played, mostly at nights, which I'm doing right now at 2:50am, no one else can hear it.
But I can hear the next door TV going on because that's right next to our bedroom!

Our new house will have none of these issues. Plenty of room and more open space.

You're welcome anytime mate.
Cheers RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Problem if his son turns out to be a panels guy and likes your system more than his father's. Might never go back to Italy then

Hey Bonzo, good one mate!
Funny you said that because it actually did happen to one chap's son when I had the big Maggie's with Manley monos back in colombo. He was from Denmark and his father had Jamo speakers. He lived with us for two weeks and each time I played the system he was in awe. Never wanted to leave and virtually forced his father to sell off the Jami's! I think if I am correct he now has AA ribbons with Conrad Johnson amps.
Surprising things do happen...
Cheers maties, RJ

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I do not understand. The price is €100,000 for that little 2 way speaker on the stand?

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I have a difficult time thinking of a speaker that I would rather have for my room and taste. The Magico M3 comes to mind, but it is too expensive. Perhaps Magico will make an M1 or M2, but it would cost a lot. The Mini II sounds great and looks fantastic, IMHO, and it should remain a classic for years to come. On the used market, if you can find one, it is a great value at about $10K.

View attachment 37705

Peter,
Have you heard the Q1? If so, what were your thoughts?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Peter,
Have you heard the Q1? If so, what were your thoughts?

Excuse me for butting in.

I used to have MiniII running with AR Ref 600. I auditioned Q1 with big Burmeister amp didn’t remember which model. My combo with MiniII was much more natural, not Hifi like the Q1 with Burmeister.
MiniII like a lot of power. I had them first with Ref 210 and they didn’t sing to me. Changed to Ref 600, I had to add more air con but they sang beautifully. Then I got married. Sold all audio gears because my wife didn’t like messy wires in living room :(.

MiniII total package with stand are like angel...sooo beautiful, heavy, best finish. Q1 is like angel fallen off the sky.

Kind regards,
Tang

Last edited:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

I used to have MiniII running with AR Ref 600. I auditioned Q1 with big Burmeister amp didn’t remember which model. My combo with MiniII was much more natural, not Hifi like the Q1 with Burmeister.
MiniII like a lot of power. I had them first with Ref 210 and they didn’t sing to me. Changed to Ref 600, I had to add more air con but they sang beautifully. Then I got married. Sold all audio gears because my wife didn’t like messy wires in living room :(.

MiniII total package with stand are like angel...sooo beautiful, heavy, best finish. Q1 is like angel fallen off the sky.

Kind regards,
Tang

No woman is worth me selling all of my hifi gear, not even Gal Gadot.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
No woman is worth me selling all of my hifi gear, not even Gal Gadot.

This is never even a discussion at our home.
There is a MC Theater room and a 2 channel room, wherever we are. Besides the garage the rest of the home is hers.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Hi Paolo,i was jocking

@Peter
I listen Mini magico some times from Italian distributor and i like a lot,more than others magico models,i love this speaker

Totally Agree on Magico Mini II--I've heard many of the floor standing models and seem to lack the fullness body(Warmth?) and cohesion in a Domestic room like the Mini II

Plus none of the slight hardness and digital emphasis of the other models--they don't do it for me .

Peter you have a Classic there-----I feel its the best Speaker they make /Made sorry!

Purely personal:b YVMV

BruceD

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Gian, were you and your friends smoking some of that funny stuff?

I understand that with friends you can get all excited listening to a new product and think you heard something amazing. But I don't believe this report.

All at about the same list price are you seriously telling me that if someone were offering it to you for free you would take this two-way stand mounted speaker over a Rockport Technologies Altair II or a Wilson Audio Alexx???

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
All at about the same list price are you seriously telling me that if someone were offering it to you for free you would take this two-way stand mounted speaker over a Rockport Technologies Altair II or a Wilson Audio Alexx???

Excuse me for butting in again.

I would, Ron. Since I already have the main big system, I want a mini monitor for nearfield listening..no space for midsize speakers. I think Gian falls into my category too since he told me his Montagna is the best he ever heard. No reason he wants a another midsize.

Wait until you get your big Gryphon up standing and singing. You may well think like me. Another pair of midsize speakers would have no place in your home.

Kind regards,
Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Also in many normal sized EU rooms the 2 way will sound better

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Kind regards,
Tang

the hifi sound can easily be explained by burmester compared to AR (i like the burmester phono, not their power amps at all, nor pre, especially compared to AR)

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Sonic's aside, it is impossible to justify €100k for these speakers based on their BOM and labour/mark up/taxes etc.

I had TAD CR1 here for a short time as we used them at show's, which were about 32K GBP, so 1/3 of these, but even though the mid's were sublime, there was not enough drive to the LF in my room. Should these fill in that region, I consider this to be a maximum price for a speaker like these..

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sonic's aside, it is impossible to justify €100k for these speakers based on their BOM and labour/mark up/taxes etc.

I had TAD CR1 here for a short time as we used them at show's, which were about 32K GBP, so 1/3 of these, but even though the mid's were sublime, there was not enough drive to the LF in my room. Should these fill in that region, I consider this to be a maximum price for a speaker like these..

Your room is pretty big for a 2 way. And it's difficult to justify the price in most cases. FWIW, I like your modded MLs much better than all the TADs I heard.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

As far as I remember they did not cost euro 100k - although there was never a price list, as they were "collector" items, I think the price of the new Extrema was around 40 keuros.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing