Any SS phono owners with SET/OTL amps, especially with horns?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
He doesn't eat spicy food. So give him a steak analogy

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Like eating a prime fillet well done

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
SS that is....

etunes

Jan 8, 2012
Virginia Beach
I think dart pre/phono -> SET amp -> horns could be a very tasty set-up.

the dart with battery powered super low noise and super nuanced/refined phono and pre into the right SET has to be good for a horn. essentially flavor with the SET and tube rolling.

I have DarTZeel pre V1 Air Tight 300B Anniversary amp w/Avantgarde Uno XD . Very quite , warm yet dynamic . Very enjoyable for me

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Tang. No, no solid-state for me. If I wanted something quieter than the Io I would go with Lamm (which uses a step-up transformer so it is easy to stay quieter than a 100% tube gain circuit).

Bonzo75 is correct -- I am not keen on spicey anything.

Tirebiter

Jan 10, 2018
Golden CO
As I have been on a quest to get back into vinyl to compliment the ease of digital playback, my system has undergone a number of changes over the past couple of years. I had pulled out a Thorens TD 160 MkI I purchased new in 1975, added a PS Audio Nuwave phono stage and was effectively off to the races. I have since moved up to a VPI TNT Jr/JMW 10/ZYX Universe II combo and found the PS Nuwave lacking. I narrowed the search down to two....a Herron tube phono stage, which is very highly regarded over on the VPI site, and an Amazon B-lab SS phono pre. The B-lab won out for it's reported extremely low noise floor. I figured it would mate well with my Tom Evans Vibe (which also is extremely quiet) and AG Duo Grosso horns driven by a pair of Lamm ML2.1 valve amps.

I am very happy with the B-lab, and not surprisingly it is a huge step up from the PS... especially mid to low bass which now has definition and clarity. Treble is less glaring...basically neutral from top to bottom and quiet as a mouse....and if I want to digitize any of the vinyl I can swap out for the PS and go for high res files to save on the computer music server.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing