Any SS phono owners with SET/OTL amps, especially with horns?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Like the title says

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Like the title says

I would think with Horns that ss phono would be desired since any noise would be so prevalent and a significant issue for the horns. another way to put it would be any tubed phono would need to be super quiet (read expensive).

so maybe Lamm/Yipsilon would work well, but the big multi-box Aesthetix many dozen tubed set-up might not....and shades of synergy in between.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I would think with Horns that ss phono would be desired since any noise would be so prevalent and a significant issue for the horns. another way to put it would be any tubed phono would need to be super quiet (read expensive).
that
so maybe Lamm/Yipsilon would work well, but the big multi-box Aesthetix many dozen tubed set-up might not.
and
I think I am going to compare Allnic with thoress and audio note M6 and shortlist my valve phono. Then compare with Burmester or such for SS vs valve. Tough to do latter on horns. If I can compare Dart with a valve pre in a horn system, and if Dart is preferred, that could help as otherwise Daart to expensive. One guy preferred it to his Shindo as phono and pre into his Shindo amps. Not that I like Shindo.

Horns systems it's not about noise alone but the purity and flow through simple Circuits

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
and
I think I am going to compare Allnic with thoress and shortlist my valve phono. Then compare with Burmester or such for SS vs valve. Tough to do latter on horns. If I can compare Dart with a valve pre in a horn system, and if Dart is preferred, that could help as otherwise Daart to expensive. One guy preferred it to his Shindo as phono and pre into his Shindo amps. Not that I like Shindo

I think dart pre/phono -> SET amp -> horns could be a very tasty set-up.

the dart with battery powered super low noise and super nuanced/refined phono and pre into the right SET has to be good for a horn. essentially flavor with the SET and tube rolling.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Actually, just remembered I compared the Lyra phono with XV-1s and top Tron with AN IO into a 300b SET and preferred the Lyra combo by far at Perart1

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I use for nearly 8 years the phono stages made by Tom Evans, all of them are ss design.
In my setup it matches perfectly my SET amplifier which drives AG Duo Mezzo XD.

Since 3 years Tom introduced the 2nd generation of Lithos regulators , more dynamic and with better signal/noise ratio.
My analog rig is not SOTA, but Groove + SRX mk2 with separate PS and dip switches is very good, the street price is 5 k GBP.

http://www.audiodesign.co.uk/styled-23/styled-6/index.html

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks. Did you compare it to other valve phonos recently? Also, is your cart very low output?

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Thanks. Did you compare it to other valve phonos recently? Also, is your cart very low output?
My cart is Shelter Harmony, rather low output one.
Never tried the valve phone however, I am really happy with the Groove +.
If the dip switches are not enough to adjust the phono to the cart , you may ask Tom to do it for your specific cart.
And you have Tom almost in your courtyard:)

Specifications:
Output Voltage: 0.5 mV at 1Khz 5 cm/sec.
Weight: 8.5 grams
Channel Balance: within 0.8 dB at 1Khz
Tracking Force: 1.4 to 2.2 grams
Stylus Tip: 1.6 X 0.3mil Line Contact Nude Diamond
DC Resistance: 15 Ohm
Recommended Load Impedance:
Step Up Transformer - 10 to 30 Ohms
Head Amplifier - within 100 Ohms
High Gain EQ-amp - within 47K Ohms
Channel Separation at 1 kHz: >25dB

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Don't want to derail your OP but thought you might like this.
This is my First Sound preamp undergoing its latest upgrade to Paramount status.
And check out the storage capacity for a single stage tube preamp that only pulls 1 Amp of current.
The dual power supplies are not shown - connected via a mil spec umbilicals.
Notice the big-assed Dueland caps along the sides.

FirstSoundPreamp.jpeg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow thanks, Are you driving SS amps also with those?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Don't want to derail your OP but thought you might like this.
This is my First Sound preamp undergoing its latest upgrade to Paramount status.
And check out the storage capacity for a single stage tube preamp that only pulls 1 Amp of current.
The dual power supplies are not shown - connected via a mil spec umbilicals.
Notice the big-assed Dueland caps along the sides.

View attachment 37689

Wow...just looked this up...they run up to a 6-chassis model...3 for each channel. How far exactly are you going?

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
I have used First Sound preamps for over 10 years. Even the entry level models are incredible. These are not for the faint of heart. These are for those dedicated to the ultimate in sound quality. Example: no remote controls. Each channel has its own attenuators and knobs - you get used to turning both at the same time to adjust volume. And even when you buy an entry model they are upgradable.

I started with the entry Mark IV and this last upgrade will bring me to a Paramount single control unit with two power supplies. Various options including the big Duelands and NOS tubes.

Ked: Yes, I get great results driving the Constellation Centaur II monos.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
How many chassis do you have, Caelin? And have you had AR ref 10, CJ Gat, VTL 7.5, SMC, or VAC in your system

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
How many chassis do you have, Caelin? And have you had AR ref 10, CJ Gat, VTL 7.5, SMC, or VAC in your system

I have not tried every preamp in the world. Nor do I claim to be an expert on preamps. I have tested enough equipment through the many years (from 1972 onward) that I well know that system matching and synergy between components is paramount to the performance of any single piece of equipment introduced into a system. Therefore, it is always difficult to make absolute statements about anything really. Furthermore, many of the companies listed actually use our wire, connectors or filters in their products. Don't ask me which because if they don't reveal that information - we don't either.

You as a dedicated seeker of "what's best" and world traveler know very well that nothing is a substitute for hearing it yourself - preferably in your own system. But if my opinion has any value to you - I would simply say that it should be on your short list to try. You are more than welcome to come to the great Northwest 'Emerald City' where I would be very happy to let you listen for yourself.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com

My version has three chassis. Two power supplies and one control center. The control center is a true dual mono design. Nothing is shared except the chassis.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Give the AC Talos a try. It is more than quiet enough for 100db+ horns.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Does First Sound make a phono stage as well?

Caelin, have you ever had occasion to compare it side-by-side with an Aesthetix line stage?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Ron,

If your system are all tubes, no need to fool around with SS phono. I once thought my speakers are 107db, all my gears are tube base, maybe I introduce a SS phono to get quietness and all the goodies of ss. So I tried the super good CH P1 + X1 in my system. And guess what tube phonos could just be as quiet. Although details are not as clearly laid out and as explicit and the sound stage not as wide as the CH, both tube phonos I had sound more "pops" and alive. There are many super quiet tube phonos in the market if that is what you are wondering. Using a SS phono in your tube base system is like eating Mexican without chili.

Kind regards,
Tang

Reactions: mallen123

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thai and Sri Lankan has much more chili

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing