Equipment settling in

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
Do you think that if already burn in equipment is shipped to another location needs burn in/settling in?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Absolutely, yes. The amount of burn-in/settling required can vary quite a bit depending on shipping and the design of the cable, in my case, but I'd guess most gear will need some time to settle.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
+1

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Absolutely. Anyone who has exhibited equipment at a trade show has seen this effect. It can take 2+ days before the equipment sounds like it did before it was moved. For 3-day shows, Sunday is ALWAYS the best day to listen.

My theory as to why this happens:

1) electronics absorbs charge during shipping, all of the dielectrics, so this has to bleed-off

2) speakers get jarred or are shipped in non-optimal positions and the drivers are not exercised for many days, so the drivers need to loosen-up

3) cables are flexed, disturbing crystal lattice in the conductors. Need to settle-in. This one is far-fetched, I know....

4) contacts are newly made in connections, so the metal-metal interface must come to equilibrium for good current transfer, particularly transients

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Steve...great to hear from a professional. I would imagine (given that it is December)...coming in from the cold does not help either. Being Flown at -25 degrees at 50,000 feet for 6 hours from NYC to Seattle (and left outdoors at somepoint in transit on truck...probably also has quite an effect i would imagine.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
For cables I think it's the movement of the dielectric in relation to the conductor.

It's less of an issue with litz wire, which has a very thin enamel dielectric that won't move wrt the conductor vs cables with conventional wire.

I think the effects of shipping are due to both mechanical stress as well as temperature changes.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
30 min for general use seems appropriate warm-in for a lot of stuff. But memory in capacitors can take longer when changing the equipment, or AC voltage.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
IME yes, 2-3 days non stop playing. As Lloyd says, cold transport conditions have a detrimental effect..

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
In my experience yes. I also find most equipment needs time when not used for an extended period of time. How long? After two week vacations, it usually takes about 4 hours for me. For pieces that have been out for months usually 2 to 3 days of listening (at 3 to 4 hours each minus warm up time of 45 minutes).

Funny related question. Has anybody got an answer for this? What exactly causes that new amp smell as they are fired up for the first time in your home?

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
In my experience yes. I also find most equipment needs time when not used for an extended period of time. How long? After two week vacations, it usually takes about 4 hours for me. For pieces that have been out for months usually 2 to 3 days of listening (at 3 to 4 hours each minus warm up time of 45 minutes).

Funny related question. Has anybody got an answer for this? What exactly causes that new amp smell as they are fired up for the first time in your home?

It isn't so odd really IMO. Big capacitors in audio gear take a long time to charge and run at 100% operation. New gear is another subject, as parts, transformers, cpas, resistors and even wiring seems to need 4 weeks. I had V-Cap Teflon caps that too 500 hours at least. And yes, I agree, if left unused for a month or more, it needs to be fully run in again but this time can be a few days as opposed to a month.

I tend to leave SS amps on 24/7, tube pre-amps or tube DACs on 24/7, and computer sever in sleep mode.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Cables' dielectric need to be re-charged again after unplugged from signal grid.

Which is a good thing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing