Emm labs DA2 v2 upgrade

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
6 months of crappy sound, and then, all of a sudden, major changes in a 48 hrs period.

I traded in the dac2x and got a brand new v2 unit way back in June.
It had never sounded right.
I asked the distributor if I can have my old unit back.
Of if not, maybe downgrade to the single box xds1v2.
I am glad he never got back to me....

Why did the new unit took so long to run in?

Now I'm hearing all the good stuff that I used to like about the v1 dac2x, plus something less more....

The other thing is the more secured sync lock (which the v1 unit had problem with RBCDs) I previously spoken about is a bonus.
(I would gladly pay the amount of money to get that resolved).

You have an amazing ability to make me laugh - unintentionally I admit, but laughter is laughter. You're a character.

Whenever you're ready to hear something really special try the DA2 with V2 firmware.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Why does it makes you laugh?
Please explain.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
My earlier post got deleted...

Luckily one of my loyal followers replied with quote.

6 months of crappy sound, and then, all of a sudden, major changes in a 48 hrs period.

I traded in the dac2x and got a brand new v2 unit way back in June.
It had never sounded right.
I asked the distributor if I can have my old unit back.
Or if not, maybe downgrade to the single box xds1v2.
I am glad he never got back to me....

Why did the new unit took so long to run in?

Now I'm hearing all the good stuff that I used to like about the v1 dac2x, plus something less more....

The other thing is the more secured sync lock (which the v1 unit had problem with RBCDs) I previously spoken about is a bonus (I would gladly pay the amount of money to get that resolved).

Last edited:

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
While both the XDS1v1 and the DAC2Xv1 i had in my system did take some months to reach their potential (about 4 months for each of them), but right out of the boxes they both were able to project a certain level of sound quality befitting their reputations.

The v2 unit of the DAC2X however, sounded "off" right from start and persisted for more than 6 months. Over a weekend in January, while playing some new discs, i was remarking to myself, hey this sound no so bad at all. Then, putting on more familiar discs, i was surprised most of the complaints i had earlier had largely dissipated. All these happened when there had been no changes whatsoever to any portion of my system at all. I've experienced equipment run-in numerous times in the past, but i have never experienced such contrasting differences. Bear in mind i have had a whole new change of hardware. It was a brand new unit. I didn't just update the firmware of the previous unit like what most had done on this thread. I would have opted for just firmware update if that was possible, but i was told that since mine was one of the earlier batches of production, some hardware changes were necessary.

Last edited:

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
I think my experience with the brand new unit of DAC2Xv2 during the entirety of its run in process might explained for what was brought up earlier in this thread - why there were a flurry of units suddenly appeared for sale on audiogon after the v2 upgrade.

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
I think my experience with the brand new unit of DAC2Xv2 during the entirety of its run in process might explained for what was brought up earlier in this thread - why there were a flurry of units suddenly appeared for sale on audiogon after the v2 upgrade.

That doesn't explain anything. You're literally the only person I've ever heard of to make all these wild ridiculous claims about how bad the V2 is and now you're eating crow (but it seems you like drama so I shouldn't be surprised - I still remember all your ridiculous comments about how the XDS1 was broken and the DAC2X fixed everything, which was and still is nonsense). The DA2 is the reason everyone's selling their old EMM gear - it's light years ahead of anything EMM has done before, even on the V1 firmware, and with the V2 firmware, it's WOW.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
That doesn't explain anything. You're literally the only person I've ever heard of to make all these wild ridiculous claims about how bad the V2 is and now you're eating crow (but it seems you like drama so I shouldn't be surprised - I still remember all your ridiculous comments about how the XDS1 was broken and the DAC2X fixed everything, which was and still is nonsense). The DA2 is the reason everyone's selling their old EMM gear - it's light years ahead of anything EMM has done before, even on the V1 firmware, and with the V2 firmware, it's WOW.

Why is it wild claim? I am just reporting exactly what I've heard in my own system. And did you ever had the XDS1v1 connected via the optilink to a DAC2X, and compared to the TSDX? Just because you never had the same experience doesn't mean it cannot happen.

Your behaviour have been extremely disrespectful. We are certainly allowed to be disagreeable over subjective observations, but it is poor manners on your part to desecrate the experiences of other people when you had not been in the same situation.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Why is it wild claim? I am just reporting exactly what I've heard in my own system. And did you ever had the XDS1v1 connected via the optilink to a DAC2X, and compared to the TSDX? Just because you never had the same experience doesn't mean it cannot happen.

Your behaviour have been extremely disrespectful. We are certainly allowed to be disagreeable over subjective observations, but it is poor manners on your part to desecrate the experiences of other people when you had not been in the same situation.

Hi jeromelang

Maybe what really happened was that your DAC2X, V2 was not fully run-in during this period. I "cooked" my DA2 for about 500 hours (24/7)!

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Hi jeromelang

Maybe what really happened was that your DAC2X, V2 was not fully run-in during this period. I "cooked" my DA2 for about 500 hours (24/7)!

Yes, and because I couldn't quite come to terms with the sound of the brand new unit, I probably didn't use it often enough during that 6 months period. And also, because I don't have a computer audio setup, I am unable to perform 24/7 run in with digital file sources.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
DA2 v2

Hi Bar81

You are right about the DA2 v2. It's something special/exceptional! Just wondering: Do you think the DA2 v2 can easily compete with the high-end turntables? (Currently, I don't have a turntable to compare)

kevinkwann

Oct 14, 2010
Kidneystone-on-Trent
You're literally the only person I've ever heard of to make all these wild ridiculous claims about how bad the V2 is and now you're eating crow (but it seems you like drama so I shouldn't be surprised - I still remember all your ridiculous comments about how the XDS1 was broken and the DAC2X fixed everything, which was and still is nonsense).

My dear Bar81, you’re really selling Mr. Lang short. His wackadoodle comments aren’t merely limited to EMM products. You should have seen the threads on Audio Asylum about his first-gen Sony SACD player (SCD-1?) and what he had to do to “make it sound right.” Priceless. And then there’s this:

“Long time audio asylum inmates will know i have a ritualistic procedure when playing optical discs - that is, i will shut down the player/transport & dac combo prior to playing any optical discs. I've developed a strict sequence of always powering up the transport first, insert disc, letting the transport read disc toc and settle, before i then go on to power up the dac. Music simply sounds better with this powering up sequence.”

Just for fun, I decided to test this concept. Made no difference. I asked a friend to do the same thing. He refused but I persisted. In his super high-rez system, he reported the following result: “The only difference this made was the 20 minutes of time you made me waste that I’ll never get back.”

We haven’t spoken since.

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
Hi Bar81

You are right about the DA2 v2. It's something special/exceptional! Just wondering: Do you think the DA2 v2 can easily compete with the high-end turntables? (Currently, I don't have a turntable to compare)

I'm not a fan of vinyl, but my advice is not to waste your time with comparisons of other sources if you're satisfied with the DA2's performance. From what I can see, only the $100K+ MSB might outperform it but given the pricetag on that I'm not particularly interested.

My dear Bar81, you’re really selling Mr. Lang short. His wackadoodle comments aren’t merely limited to EMM products. You should have seen the threads on Audio Asylum about his first-gen Sony SACD player (SCD-1?) and what he had to do to “make it sound right.” Priceless. And then there’s this:

“Long time audio asylum inmates will know i have a ritualistic procedure when playing optical discs - that is, i will shut down the player/transport & dac combo prior to playing any optical discs. I've developed a strict sequence of always powering up the transport first, insert disc, letting the transport read disc toc and settle, before i then go on to power up the dac. Music simply sounds better with this powering up sequence.”

Just for fun, I decided to test this concept. Made no difference. I asked a friend to do the same thing. He refused but I persisted. In his super high-rez system, he reported the following result: “The only difference this made was the 20 minutes of time you made me waste that I’ll never get back.”

We haven’t spoken since.

lol That's too funny. For me, I'll never get the 30 minutes of my life back that I spent reading his proselytizations in a thread regarding the DAC2X on some board that I can't remember and thinking (but not listening to my own advice) that I should stop reading that trainwreck thread (it was sad and unintentionally funny in equal measure).

Last edited:

kevinkwann

Oct 14, 2010
Kidneystone-on-Trent
lol that's too funny. For me, i'll never get the 30 minutes of my life back that i spent reading his proselytizations in a thread regarding the dac2x on some board that i can't remember and thinking (but not listening to my own advice) that i should stop reading that trainwreck thread (it was sad and unintentionally funny in equal measure).

:D

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Yes, and because I couldn't quite come to terms with the sound of the brand new unit, I probably didn't use it often enough during that 6 months period. And also, because I don't have a computer audio setup, I am unable to perform 24/7 run in with digital file sources.

Hi jeromelang

You can use a cheap cd-player or a DVD player (on repeat) to run-in the DAC2x V2. You don't even need to power the pre-amp. and power amp.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi Bar81

A high-end hi-fi components reviewer (based in USA, and a friend of mine) confided to me that the MSB select II sounded inferior to the DA2 in his very expensive sound system!

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Hi Bar81

A high-end hi-fi components reviewer (based in USA, and a friend of mine) confided to me that the MSB select II sounded inferior to the DA2 in his very expensive sound system!
An interesting observation, but since your friend confided in you I'm not sure why you would choose to publicly violate that confidence.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
An interesting observation, but since your friend confided in you I'm not sure why you would choose to publicly violate that confidence.

Sorry, maybe I should not mentioned it. Or maybe, I shouldn't used the word "confide" here but rather "commented that ..." I am trying to be careful!

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Sorry, maybe I should not mentioned it. Or maybe, I shouldn't used the word "confide" here but rather "commented that ..." I am trying to be careful!
Yuen - Seems as if we just had a bit of a misunderstanding about your friend's intention, thanks for sharing his comment. Good listening to you!

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Yuen - Seems as if we just had a bit of a misunderstanding about your friend's intention, thanks for sharing his comment. Good listening to you!

It's okay. Thanks. Just my personal opinion: I think the DA2 is the most "natural" (or most analogue) sounding DAC now available (based on what I hear at the concert halls).

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
Hi Bar81

There you have it. Not sure why you would continue wondering about other digital or vinyl for that matter. Enjoy the DA2. After 12 years I've stopped looking - enjoying my system so much I don't have any desire to do anything but listen to music.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing