Emm labs DA2 v2 upgrade

tonytsui

Apr 20, 2014
Are you using it as a DAC only or are you using the volume control?
Hi Bar81,
Like you, I am using the TX2 with an Aural Symphonics cable to the upgraded DA2v2. After nearly a monthly listening to the V2, I consider it a masterpiece from EMM. Though others consider bass as the biggest improvement, for me the accuracy of musical instruments' timbre and delicacy is the chief improvement. Strings have been a weak point of digital components and this is the first time I hear such sweetness from strings. Piano has a realism that's a first for me.

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
Glad to hear the DV2 is amazing (that's consistent with the reviews that I've read) but the improvement you're hearing is going from DA2 + interconnect + preamp to DV2. That makes it difficult to determine how much of the improvement to ascribe to the updated DAC portion versus the improvement of the volume control versus your previous interconnect and preamp. Out of curiosity, what interconnect and preamp were you using?

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
Hi Bar81,
Like you, I am using the TX2 with an Aural Symphonics cable to the upgraded DA2v2. After nearly a monthly listening to the V2, I consider it a masterpiece from EMM. Though others consider bass as the biggest improvement, for me the accuracy of musical instruments' timbre and delicacy is the chief improvement. Strings have been a weak point of digital components and this is the first time I hear such sweetness from strings. Piano has a realism that's a first for me.

Thanks for the report. I've been very curious about everyone going on about the bass, that's been excellent in my system with the current model. Interesting to hear about strings and piano. Piano is huge for me. I'll know soon enough I guess, when I get my transport and DAC back from EMM in the next couple of weeks.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Glad to hear the DV2 is amazing (that's consistent with the reviews that I've read) but the improvement you're hearing is going from DA2 + interconnect + preamp to DV2. That makes it difficult to determine how much of the improvement to ascribe to the updated DAC portion versus the improvement of the volume control versus your previous interconnect and preamp. Out of curiosity, what interconnect and preamp were you using?

Hi Bar81,

You are right to some extent. My preamp is an EMM Labs Pre2 (recently upgraded) and my interconnects are the Nordost Tyr2. (Next week, I will be replacing it with the Ansuz Acoustics Diamond interconnects). Currently, I am using the Ansuz Acoustics Diamond speaker cables.

However, I think my Pre2 is quite there with the best. I had compared it with the Soulution preamp in my system, and I preferred my Pre2.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Thanks for the report. I've been very curious about everyone going on about the bass, that's been excellent in my system with the current model. Interesting to hear about strings and piano. Piano is huge for me. I'll know soon enough I guess, when I get my transport and DAC back from EMM in the next couple of weeks.

Hi Bar81,

Based on what I heard from my DV2, the bass performance is amazing - off the charts! The impact, the resolution, etc.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi guys,

To test how amazing the DA2 V2 and the latest upgraded DV2 are in the reproduction of string instruments, listen to this recording: Linn Records SACD - Fiddler Tam, the music of Thomas Erskine, 6th Earl of Kellie, by Concerto Caledonia - a truly great baroque ensemble! But of course you also need a great power amp and not a clinical one, to reproduce the sweetness, the overtones and the fine details of the strings.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi guys,

JVS of Stereophile (May 1, 2020), when reviewing the Wolf Alpha 3 SX music server, says: "I performed yet one more switch, from the Rossini DAC/clock combo to the EMM Labs DV2 integrated DAC. On many tracks, the DV2's extra weight in the lower midrange and deeper, fuller bass seemed a better match for the Wolf Alpha 3 SX."

fuscobal

Apr 8, 2020
A little bit off-topic here but guys, did any of you get to compare the DAC2X v2 versus DA2 v1 ? I'm prepping to upgrade from my old CDSAse and don't have the budget for the DA2 v2 yet (may upgrade in the future if going with DA2 v1).

tonytsui

Apr 20, 2014
A little bit off-topic here but guys, did any of you get to compare the DAC2X v2 versus DA2 v1 ? I'm prepping to upgrade from my old CDSAse and don't have the budget for the DA2 v2 yet (may upgrade in the future if going with DA2 v1).
I sold my DAV2X v1 for the DA2 v1 when the latter was introduced. The DA2v1 was far better.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
I suggest that you go for a DA2 V1 (second hand) and later, when you have the fund, upgrade to a DA2 V2. The cost for the upgrade to a V2 is $5000 - which is worth it because you practically get a brand new SOTA dac!

Reactions: fuscobal

fuscobal

Apr 8, 2020
I sold my DAV2X v1 for the DA2 v1 when the latter was introduced. The DA2v1 was far better.
I know DA1 v1 is way better than DAC2X v1 but wanted to know if the v2 DAC2X come even close !

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
The DA2 is an entirely new architecture and is a massive step forward from their old architecture. Then with the v2 firmware upgrade for the DA2 (not the V2 hardware upgrade that is more recent), no one in their right mind would compare the two. The DA2's performance cannot be approached by any of the old EMM Labs DACs. Having said that, that doesn't mean that you will not enjoy the DAC2X v2; it just won't give you any idea of what the DA2 can do.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi guys,

I have replaced my Nordost interconnects with Ansuz Acoustics Diamond XLR, and now all my signal cables are Ansuz Acoustics Diamond's. This addition takes my sound system to the next level! I am waiting for my order of the Aural Symphonic Optimism Lotus ST optical cable to arrive soon.

tonytsui

Apr 20, 2014
Hi guys,

I have replaced my Nordost interconnects with Ansuz Acoustics Diamond XLR, and now all my signal cables are Ansuz Acoustics Diamond's. This addition takes my sound system to the next level! I am waiting for my order of the Aural Symphonic Optimism Lotus ST optical cable to arrive soon.
What model of Nordost was replaced?

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi guys,

I am delighted to share the following discovery:

I have just finished listening to some tracks from the MA on SA SACD sampler. Track 9 (TM052A/Malena, from "Sera una Noche" by Sera Una Noche: 96 kHz ) and track 13 (M025A/Noche Maravillosa, from "Salterio" by Begona Olavide: 96 kHz ) sounded astonishingly REAL! I have been listening to these tracks many many times, but this is the first time (via the current EMM Labs DV2) that it sounded so real and immersive! The differences were dramatic! Go listen for yourself if you have the DA2 V2 or the current DV2.

Last edited:

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Just to correct my earlier post. DA2 V2 retail has indeed gone up to US$30k so it's the same price as the DV2. Given that, for digital only people, generally the DV2 is the better buy (and all that most people will need I expect) although for those seeking the last ultimate drop of performance the DA2 V2's fixed output apparently results in its performance exceeding that of the DV2 but then you will need a very good preamp to realize that extra performance.

@Bar81 I wonder why the price is the same for the two units? Almost like EMM wants to phase out the DA2 and only produce the DV2 w/ its pre-amp. At the same price, assuming you can disable the DV2's pre-amp. Why wouldn't one get the DV2 over the DA2 V2 given the same MSRP?

fuscobal

Apr 8, 2020
DAC2X v2 on its way. Wanted the DA2 but also need to save for a good streamer. Hopefully in a few years I will be able to switch to DA2 v2 directly at a lower cost than now. Until the streamer will be here I will be using a MacBook (not the best solution for such a DAC). Did anyone try to use CDSA as a transport for DAC2X through the AES/EBU digital out (the only output from CDSA).

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
@Bar81 I wonder why the price is the same for the two units? Almost like EMM wants to phase out the DA2 and only produce the DV2 w/ its pre-amp. At the same price, assuming you can disable the DV2's pre-amp. Why wouldn't one get the DV2 over the DA2 V2 given the same MSRP?

The current DV2 I think would cost more than the DA2 V2:

Produttore: Emm Labs
Codice Prodotto: EMMLABSDV2
Disponibilità: A magazzino
Condizione: Nuovo

41.100,00€

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing