My TAD DA1000 sounds a click just before a track starts and just after it stops

yukster

Sep 9, 2015
London, UK
I previously posted this query on the Digital audio forum and got a potentially helpful reply with a plausible explanation of why i might be having this problem. I am posting it here again in the hope that other TAD DA-1000 users can offer further assistance

My TAD DA1000 DAC makes a clicking sound (it sounds to me like a relay engaging but I'm not sure) that i can hear just before the DA1000 starts playing a track and just after it stops. I mostly use it to play music via the USB input BUT this occurs with optical inputs not just the USB. From what i can see, the click sounds when the DA1000 display changes from -- to the frequency of the sound file, e.g., 96 or 192. Has anyone experienced this with their DA1000? is this a fault? I'd be grateful for your feedback and advice.

My setup is: Synology DiskStation DS415+, SoTM sms 200 ultra with sps500 psu, TAD D1000 DAC, Bryston 4B SST2 power amp, custom made audiophile pc with Jriver (used as a transport), Harbeth HL5 speakers

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I don't have the same unit but many DACs use relays to change between formats and rates, it's totally normal.

yukster

Sep 9, 2015
London, UK
I don't have the same unit but many DACs use relays to change between formats and rates, it's totally normal.
Thanks DaveC. I just ran another test and the clicking happens when one track stops and another one starts even when both are same format and sampling rate

A previous responder to my query on the Digital audio forum suggested that the click might be happening due to a problem with the mute circuit. He also didn't have the DA1000. It may be a relay or a mute circuit producing the click. I am hoping that a TAD DA1000 might be able to confirm if they also experiencing this click so i can confirm this is normal as you suggest or not

Sencha

Nov 11, 2013
U.K.
Yukster,

Just wondering if you got this fixed. I had a cheap Rega DAC back in the day that did that.......really annoying!! However it was sent back to them to check out and was returned with a software update free of change that cured the problem.

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Hi Yukster.

Here an ex TAD DA1000 owner.

Those clicks are absolutely normal. My unit always did it.
I played it from an Aurender N100. Aurender has a delay time option to avoid those clicks.
242EFE79-17EA-4290-A63F-953965AF176C.jpeg

Forget it and enjoy !!!!

yukster

Sep 9, 2015
London, UK
Stereophonic, can you please explain how the delay stops my DAC from clicking. If i can do that with my SoTM sms200 ultra it would be just the ticket. Does anyone here know whether that is possible?

yukster

Sep 9, 2015
London, UK
Yukster,

Just wondering if you got this fixed. I had a cheap Rega DAC back in the day that did that.......really annoying!! However it was sent back to them to check out and was returned with a software update free of change that cured the problem.

Sencha, apparently this click isn't a fault. All TAD DACs and CD/SACD players do this

standingwave

Feb 25, 2016
To be clear, this click doesn't come through the speakers - it's a mechanical click from inside the unit and is a feature not a flaw.

yukster

Sep 9, 2015
London, UK
It may not be a fault but it is a flaw, as far as i am concerned

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing