The Greatest Showman

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
"Times are changing"

An apt quote especially since this year saw the end of the Big Tops. Times have indeed changed.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
http://people.com/movies/inside-the...-showstopping-performance-in-virtual-reality/

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
too bad this one is a musical. maybe its just me.

speaking of circus, saw Luzia (Cirque du Soleil) last night - exceptional show. as good as the Vegas versions and live music as well. It will be in OC soon, Doc.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Excellent film with a nice soundtrack. The cinematography and filming was top notch. It was one of those films that had you smiling walking out.

Here is one fine track.

Last edited:

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
my wife and daughter saw it yesterday as I stayed home to listen to music and they loved it. My daughter has already bought the soundtrack. They are taking me to see it this week

I am listening to the soundtrack via Tidal as I write this. I enjoy movies that have you smiling as you leave the theater.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I am listening to the soundtrack via Tidal as I write this. I enjoy movies that have you smiling as you leave the theater.

My daughter said everyone applauded at the end.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
my wife and daughter saw it yesterday as I stayed home to listen to music and they loved it. My daughter has already bought the soundtrack. They are taking me to see it this week

Steve. After listening to the soundtrack a couple of times I will say that movie versions of the songs are a bit more interesting. In the soundtrack they use muted drums on a couple of the tracks whereas in the movie itself the beat is "driven" by the stomping of shoes/boots. Even so several good songs.

Steve Williams

So I finally saw this movie today with my wife and daughter. I passed on it the first time and when they came home raving about it I was all in.

I have to say that this was one of the most enjoyable movies I have seen all year.As still one commented you'll come out of the theater smiling. This movie is fabulous for people of all ages. There is nothing bad about it

I was reluctant because after all how good could Zack Effron be in a musical with dancing. He was terrific and I gather his career started in musicals. He was terrific. However Hugh Jackman was the glue that put the movie together intermingled with Michelle Williams who plays his wife and Lauren Allred who played Jenny Lind the singer. The cast is a well made up group of circus types who putt on a dance and song movie that will have you beaming ear to ear. When the bearded fat lady sings "This is me" you will have a lump in your throat

The music will linger in your brain and IMO at least 3 of the songs can easily be nominated with "This is me" winning the Oscar for Best Song. Apparently the songwriters of this movie were the same that did LaLa Land.

Is it Best Movie of 2017? I don't think so but I can honestly say that I liked this film better than The Shape of water that I saw yesterday and every bit as good , IF NOT MORE than LaLa Land !!!

Go see it on the big screen. This will not disappoint

Huge "thumb's up"

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Steve. I knew you would enjoy it. I talked my brother in to seeing it last night and he called to say he enjoyed it as they were leaving the theater. Lots a people clapping at the end.

Steve Williams

Steve. I knew you would enjoy it. I talked my brother in to seeing it last night and he called to say he enjoyed it as they were leaving the theater. Lots a people clapping at the end.

not only did we enjoy it, IMO this is the type of movie that could easily find its way into the makings of a live musical production on Broadway

The sound track is fabulous. Both my wife and daughter downloaded it.

My mother-in-law who never likes any movies she sees loved it

Three songs for me were classic and stood out

1. This is me. IMO this is the Oscar winner for Best Song this year. Sung by Keala Settle

2. The Greatest Showman, sung at the beginning and at the end of the film

3. Never Enough sung by Lauren Allred who was a season 3 finalist on the voice.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Doc - I was chatting with an industry producer friend last night. He's underwhelmed with films this year - but says the Tonya Harding movie is quite good (not that it would win). I have now heard that from several people and intend to see it. He lamented about Shape of Water wanting to like it, but thought it could have been much better. He agreed that the Post with a very late release (only 2 theaters in LA right now) is an issue (and with the movie too).

Honestly, movies last year were just as bad. I mean Moonlight, a glorified student film in his words, won.

Steve Williams

Doc - I was chatting with an industry producer friend last night. He's underwhelmed with films this year - but says the Tonya Harding movie is quite good (not that it would win). I have now heard that from several people and intend to see it. He lamented about Shape of Water wanting to like it, but thought it could have been much better. He agreed that the Post with a very late release (only 2 theaters in LA right now) is an issue (and with the movie too).

Honestly, movies last year were just as bad. I mean Moonlight, a glorified student film in his words, won.
See my review on I, Tonya....one of the best films of the year for me with Margot Robbie and Allison Janney going to win Oscars for Best Actress and Best Supporting

I agree about the films being underwhelming this year but I, Tonya and the Greatest Showman are must sees

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
not only did we enjoy it, IMO this is the type of movie that could easily find its way into the makings of a live musical production on Broadway

The sound track is fabulous. Both my wife and daughter downloaded it.

My mother-in-law who never likes any movies she sees loved it

Three songs for me were classic and stood out

1. This is me. IMO this is the Oscar winner for Best Song this year. Sung by Keala Settle

2. The Greatest Showman, sung at the beginning and at the end of the film

3. Never Enough sung by Lauren Allred who was a season 3 finalist on the voice.

I agree with your 3 song choices. "Never Enough" being my favorite. One comment about the available soundtrack. The think I prefer the movie version of "This is Me" where the beat is driven by their stomping feet while dancing. The soundtrack version use drums that don't do it justice.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing