The Shape Of Water

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
If you haven't, catch 'Pan's Labyrinth' by Del Toro -- phenomenal movie.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Very good cast and directed by Guillermo del Toro

Not sure whether this looks good or bizarre.

It's getting great reviews and a 95% on Rotten Tomatoes

..looks good...I’m all in

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Recently saw the trailer and both my wife and I gave it a thumbs down. Not one of our genre.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Is it a Hell Boy prequel? The character looks very similar.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
We went to see The Shape of Water yesterday. It was quite a movie and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

It is beyond unusual, quite something and an excellent movie in my opinion. Definitely a mind bender.

The sets were outstanding as well, perfectly reflecting the times.

I also need to revisit Pan's Labyrinth. I didn't see it when it was in theaters but did buy the blu-ray so I'll have to dig it out. I didn't like or even finish the movie when I tried to watch it a few years ago so I need to give it another chance.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
^ Pan is an excellent film with very good audio for its day IMHO. Del Toro has a unique vision that he brings to the cinema. I look forward to his films.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
People talk about this and Florida as the top contenders for Best Movie

I would rank The Shape of Water among the best movies of 2017.

Haven't seen The Florida Project yet and its not playing at any theaters in Tucson. We'll be in Phoenix next week and its playing in Tempe so maybe we'll try to see it there.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States

+1
A truly superb film. A surprisingly original and suspenseful love story. Movie making at a very high level with excellent craftsmanship as well as great acting from the entire cast. Every scene is rich and indelible. del Toro's best yet, IMO. Probable Oscar nominations for Best Picture, Best Actress, Best Director, Best Supporting Actor (Michael Shannon).

http://www.mrqe.com/movie_reviews/the-shape-of-water-m100121505

Don't read too many detailed reviews as they contain many spoiler alerts that will take away from the viewing experience.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Haven't seen The Florida Project yet and its not playing at any theaters in Tucson. We'll be in Phoenix next week and its playing in Tempe so maybe we'll try to see it there.

+1
A truly superb film. A surprisingly original and suspenseful love story. Movie making at a very high level with excellent craftsmanship as well as great acting from the entire cast. Every scene is rich and indelible. del Toro's best yet, IMO. Probable Oscar nominations for Best Picture, Best Actress, Best Director, Best Supporting Actor (Michael Shannon).

http://www.mrqe.com/movie_reviews/the-shape-of-water-m100121505

Don't read too many detailed reviews as they contain many spoiler alerts that will take away from the viewing experience.

I am struggling with this one as my wife and I saw it yesterday. Yes it was amongst the Best Films of 2017 but for my money I am not ready to proclaim it as the picture of the year.

I can definitely see Michael Shannon being nominated as best supporting as well as the many others that marty mentioned I believe will receive nominations.

Guillermo Del Toro has an amazing mind in making this movie although it did rekindle thoughts of Pan's Labyrinth which IMO was somewhat similar from a Sci Fi perspective. You'll leave the theater thinking and talking which I believe is a good thing.

Sally Hawkins who played Eliza was a breath of fresh air and Octavia Spencer was likewise superb and could likewise get another nomination. Good to see Michael Stuhlbarg as the soviet doctor. Like Michael Shannon he also was in Broadway Empire

All in all it was enjoyable to watch and it will be nominated. I plan on seeing The Florida Project as well as Three Billboards in the next few days before compiling the list of Best Films of 2017 (Let's also not forget "Get Out" which was Rotten Tomatoes top rated film of 2017). Oh and let's not forget The Post which opens in 2018 but for Academy purposes has opened in limited theaters in 2017

It's been a feeble year at the movies this year

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
Yeah, it was a pretty original story and not the usual Hollywood re-write. We thought it had a definite European flavor to it.

However, that dance scene at the end was pretty silly in a Wa-Wa Land kind of way (pun intended).

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I am struggling with this one as my wife and I saw it yesterday. Yes it was amongst the Best Films of 2017 but for my money I am not ready to proclaim it as the picture of the year.

I can definitely see Michael Shannon being nominated as best supporting as well as the many others that marty mentioned I believe will receive nominations.

Guillermo Del Toro has an amazing mind in making this movie although it did rekindle thoughts of Pan's Labyrinth which IMO was somewhat similar from a Sci Fi perspective. You'll leave the theater thinking and talking which I believe is a good thing.

Sally Hawkins who played Eliza was a breath of fresh air and Octavia Spencer was likewise superb and could likewise get another nomination. Good to see Michael Stuhlbarg as the soviet doctor. Like Michael Shannon he also was in Broadway Empire

All in all it was enjoyable to watch and it will be nominated. I plan on seeing The Florida Project as well as Three Billboards in the next few days before compiling the list of Best Films of 2017 (Let's also not forget "Get Out" which was Rotten Tomatoes top rated film of 2017). Oh and let's not forget The Post which opens in 2018 but for Academy purposes has opened in limited theaters in 2017

It's been a feeble year at the movies this year

+1 mostly. I can't say I struggled with it as far as enjoyment since I thought it was a delight, but I agree I'm still waiting for the film that knocks me out as the best picture of 2017. No doubt box office mean a lot and I fear that Dumbkirk may have some traction despite the fact I neither enjoyed it or thought it worthy.

Hopefully, I will get to see the Post this weekend. Even if you are not a Peggy Noonan fan (I am), she had another outstanding column today in the WSJ. You may not be able to access it today f you are not a subscriber, but you can generally access it tomorrow. She points out some liberties that Hollywood took with both "The Crown" and the "The Post". These should not detract from the excellence of either, although they help frame their "truths".

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-lies-of-the-crown-and-the-post-1514505833?mod=djemMER

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Went to The Shape of Water today. Highly recommend it. I can only fault it slightly for anything at all. It's pretty much awesome, one of the best movies in recent times.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Next month, March 13, first day purchase.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing