Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Had the opportunity to see "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri" yesterday afternoon. I expected a bit of a quirky movie and it fulfilled those expectations. In many ways it was very different from what I expected after seeing the trailer. I went in anticipating a story getting to the bottom of who killed Mildred's daughter. That might the common thread that ties these characters together but the real issue is Anger. Seems like everyone is living at angers boiling point. Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell give nomination worthy performances here. There are no clear cut villains or heroes in this movie. This is a complex movie that keeps you thinking long after the credits and appropriate for the complex world we live in.

NOTE:EXPLICIT LANGUAGE

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
looking forward to this one, Jim. have heard its not best picture, but a good movie with excellent acting.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
looking forward to this one, Jim. have heard its not best picture, but a good movie with excellent acting.

Keith, That about sums it up.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Keith, That about sums it up.

and so far through 11 months of 2017 how many movies can you name that are Oscar worthy.

This better be a good month for film otherwise the Oscars will be lack luster

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Sam Rockwell should win the Oscar for his performance.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
and so far through 11 months of 2017 how many movies can you name that are Oscar worthy.

This better be a good month for film otherwise the Oscars will be lack luster

Dunkirk
Lady Bird

The Guillermo del Toro flick looks super weird in the trailer, but will go see. Call Me by Your Name I don't really have interest in - way too artsy for me. The Post looks good and has a great cast/director.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Went to see Three Billboards yesterday with my wife. We both enjoyed this quirky, unusual film.

Interesting story set in a depressed area of rural America, seemingly hopeless situations.

Lots of good plot twists.

The only disappointing moment (for me) in the film was a strange soliloquy by Abbie Cornish which seemed out of place - perhaps better described as out of character - at least in my mind. Have to say that my wife did not agree with my observation.

Otherwise, great acting in a thought provoking film.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
As the year drew to an end my wife and I have been catching up on all the movies and saw this one yesterday

To say the film is quirky is an understatement. What an absolute downer of a movie with truly hopeless situations yet a good movie from start to finish although the ending left my wife and I looking at each other and saying "that's it?"

I'm not sure what soliloquy you are referring but I thought Abbie Cornish was miscast in her role. It was tough for me watching a movie taking place in a rural area in the middle of nowhere with her and her Australian accent playing Willoughby's wife

Frances McDormand is such a superb actor and was the movie IMO along with Sam Rockwell. She should be nominated for Best Actress and him for Best Supporting Actor. So far IMO Sam Rockwell is the most deserving of winning the Oscar as he was terrific in his role

A very good film but still not "my " Best Picture of the Year. So far I have to admit that the Best Film I have seen this year is I. Tonya. If Margot Robbie doesn't win for best Actress as well as Allison Janney for Best Supporting Actress, there is no justice as the both gave roles of their careers

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Steve, I was referring to the angry speech she gave to Frances McDormand in the gift shop where Frances worked.

This was the scene in which her Australian accent was most apparent to me. It also seemed to me that she was a bit too young to be married to the Sheriff. So, I agree with you that she was miscast.

Hope I was clear, trying not to give away any of the plot to those who haven't seen the movie.

We did see Florida Project yesterday. Talk about a depressing movie....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing