The oldest most massive black hole ever

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
http://www.sciencealert.com/supermassive-black-hole-quasar-epoch-of-reionisation-j1342-0928

[FONT=&quot]An absolutely gargantuan black hole 800 million times the mass of the Sun has been discovered 13 billion light-years away, and it's sent the way we think about the early Universe into a spin.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
It's the most distant black hole ever detected, from when the Universe was just 5 percent of its current age - around 690 million years after the Big Bang.
[/FONT]

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

That really sucks - could not resist. :rolleyes:

Most people have no idea how vast the universe really is.

Did you know that there are billions, probably trillions of stars that we will never see on earth? Why?

Because the universe is expanding and accelerating, the light from those stars cannot beat the expansion speed and therefore those photons will never reach the earth and our telescopes. Our visible universe is a finite big sphere.

Given the scale of the universe, the speed of light is actually really really slow compared to the distances involved. The closest star besides the sun is 50 million light years away.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I have to get back on space exploration; I'm a little behind right now with all the other news taking space on the energy front of our planet and the fast escalating ascensor to freedom...bitcoin. :b

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
The two main stars are Alpha Centauri A and Alpha Centauri B, which form a binary pair. They are an average of 4.3 light-years from Earth. The third star is Proxima Centauri. It is about 4.22 light-years from Earth and is the closest star other than the sun.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
The two main stars are Alpha Centauri A and Alpha Centauri B, which form a binary pair. They are an average of 4.3 light-years from Earth. The third star is Proxima Centauri. It is about 4.22 light-years from Earth and is the closest star other than the sun.

My error. It was the closest other galaxy I think that is 50 million light years.

Steve N.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
My error. It was the closest other galaxy I think that is 50 million light years.

Steve N.

At a distance of about 2.5 million light years, the Andromeda galaxy (also known as NGC 224 and M31) is the nearest galaxy to the Earth apart from smaller companion galaxies such as the Magellanic Clouds. Like the Milky Way, Andromeda is a spiral galaxy.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It would be cool if we could build a super spaceship fast enough, omega ultra high speed internet, so that we can land on other galaxies of the universe and start exploring the possibilities of a better life. :b

Utopia.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
It would be cool if we could build a super spaceship fast enough, omega ultra high speed internet, so that we can land on other galaxies of the universe and start exploring the possibilities of a better life. :b

Utopia.
A recent vision of what this might be like was "Interstellar." This short clip of the making of the Interstellar soundtrack got me interested - an entertaining flick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_8t2VlwK4w

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
A recent vision of what this might be like was "Interstellar." This short clip of the making of the Interstellar soundtrack got me interested - an entertaining flick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_8t2VlwK4w

Interstellar coincidence because it crossed my mind too.
___

And that too:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
:b Ron, I said that because I was thinking of Tesla and Bitcoin. But you knew that.

It is a subject that I find fascinating; space exploration, science of the universe, man's conquest of the unknown, the Big Bang, Black Holes, far away galaxies, how we became to be where we are today, and what have we learned so far. Maybe all matter is related, interconnected...in time, in space, in synchronicity?
Each planet has its own organism and system, its own destiny...momentary time lapse?
Who knows if Earth one day will not encounter a gargantuan black hole and be sucked into it through the other side, in another galaxy of the universe, with artificial intelligence living in lush Amazon jungles?

It is incredible that man have such powerful telescopes and can measure such long distances.
That latest discovery of that gigantic black hole is mind boggling...just to get there. Maybe it's a portal for reversing the course of singularity?

Anyway, I love everything, including Interstellar and other great sci-fi flicks of that caliber. ...We all do, and it brings us closer to each other in this vast and ever expanding space of the universe...Hollywood and all.

It is in man's nature to go beyond the stars.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing