Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The oldest most massive black hole ever

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] ack's Avatar

The oldest most massive black hole ever

http://www.sciencealert.com/supermas...ion-j1342-0928

An absolutely gargantuan black hole 800 million times the mass of the Sun has been discovered 13 billion light-years away, and it's sent the way we think about the early Universe into a spin.

It's the most distant black hole ever detected, from when the Universe was just 5 percent of its current age - around 690 million years after the Big Bang.
    Sources: mod. VPI Aries 3;mod. JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90;mod. Pass XP-25;Spectral 3000SL xport/mod. Alpha DAC;mod. Magnum Dynalab Etude;mod. Revox B-77II Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-400RS Speakers: Heavily mod. MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods);mod. REL Cabling: MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strip, Magnum Z-Trap; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon Tweaks: EAR Isodamp c1002 References: Live unamplified music
    System link WBF

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by ack View Post
    That really sucks - could not resist.

Most people have no idea how vast the universe really is.

Did you know that there are billions, probably trillions of stars that we will never see on earth? Why?

Because the universe is expanding and accelerating, the light from those stars cannot beat the expansion speed and therefore those photons will never reach the earth and our telescopes. Our visible universe is a finite big sphere.

Given the scale of the universe, the speed of light is actually really really slow compared to the distances involved. The closest star besides the sun is 50 million light years away.

Steve N.
    Empirical Audio

Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    I have to get back on space exploration; I'm a little behind right now with all the other news taking space on the energy front of our planet and the fast escalating ascensor to freedom...bitcoin.
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

The two main stars are Alpha Centauri A and Alpha Centauri B, which form a binary pair. They are an average of 4.3 light-years from Earth. The third star is Proxima Centauri. It is about 4.22 light-years from Earth and is the closest star other than the sun.

How far (in miles) is one light-year?

1 light-year = 9.461 10 power15 metres

https://www.universetoday.com/45003/...-a-light-year/

A light year is 5,878,625,373,183.6 miles.

http://www.astronomycast.com/2006/11...-the-universe/
    Last edited by NorthStar; 12-07-2017 at 04:00 PM.
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    How far (in miles) is one light-year?

1 light-year = 9.461 10 power15 metres

https://www.universetoday.com/45003/...-a-light-year/

A light year is 5,878,625,373,183.6 miles.

http://www.astronomycast.com/2006/11...-the-universe/
    A MUCH more impressive number (but a tad more difficult to work with).

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
    The two main stars are Alpha Centauri A and Alpha Centauri B, which form a binary pair. They are an average of 4.3 light-years from Earth. The third star is Proxima Centauri. It is about 4.22 light-years from Earth and is the closest star other than the sun.
    My error. It was the closest other galaxy I think that is 50 million light years.

Steve N.

Quote Originally Posted by Empirical Audio View Post
    My error. It was the closest other galaxy I think that is 50 million light years.

Steve N.
    At a distance of about 2.5 million light years, the Andromeda galaxy (also known as NGC 224 and M31) is the nearest galaxy to the Earth apart from smaller companion galaxies such as the Magellanic Clouds. Like the Milky Way, Andromeda is a spiral galaxy.

It would be cool if we could build a super spaceship fast enough, omega ultra high speed internet, so that we can land on other galaxies of the universe and start exploring the possibilities of a better life.

Utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    It would be cool if we could build a super spaceship fast enough, omega ultra high speed internet, so that we can land on other galaxies of the universe and start exploring the possibilities of a better life.

Utopia.
    A recent vision of what this might be like was "Interstellar." This short clip of the making of the Interstellar soundtrack got me interested - an entertaining flick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_8t2VlwK4w

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast