Jeff from France

Yucca

Nov 19, 2017
France
Hello all,

I read this forum for a few years, but didn't create an account before...I've decided myself, as I was interested to buy a Taïko audio Setchi groundbox for my system.
I'm interested in hifi and music reproduction for about 35 years now.
My system is based on active pro speakers, as I found them generally much more acurate than passive speakers + amp at the same price (it's my choice, I don't say it's always the truth)

So I'm using in a 28 x 13ft room, (RT60 quite linear at 0,40-0,45 for those who are interested) :

Tidal streaming + local files on SSD (thunderbolt powered) through
roon + convolution file with Xtalk cancellation from Home Audio Fidelity (french custom service) to
Mac Mini + Mojo Audio Illuminati LPSU
Supra rj45 lan - Waversa smart hub -Pachanko lan
PSAudio DirectStream junior (ethernet/bridge input) to
Parasound P7 preamp (XLR inputs and outputs with Hypex cables)
Geithain RL940 active speakers + 2 x DXD808 Ken Kreisel subs through an Antimode 8033
+ various absorber and diffuser panels, and also 2 Active Room Neutralizers from Jack Bybee (fantastic stuff)

...so it's mainly a German american system :)

I'm really satisfied with this gear, and specially the true 3D imaging I've never heard anywhere else (even on high end systems in retailers or various shows...).
The only thing I think I could improve would be low end bass (it's very linear up to 32-35Hz, but nothing below) and maybe heavier attacks on drums/percussions (the kind of thing you feel from high efficiency 15' speakers from Onken to JBL...)

I'm mainly listening to :
Electronic music (ambient/chillout), acoustic folk/pop (mainly scandinavian artists and some other, from Emiliana Torrini to David Sylvian, Stina Nordenstam, Jan Swaerts...), new classical Music (Olafur Arnalds, Max Richter...) and some Classical romantics : Schubert, Brahms, Mahler...

I'll post some pics later...

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF! Thank you for the introduction about yourself, your system and your musical interests!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello Jeff from across the big pond! Please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to the What's Best Forum. Glad you joined and I (for one) am looking forward to seeing the pic's of your setup. A Rythmik F-25 or two will definitely help to accurately round out the bottom end of your rig. You might want to take a look at them if you are interested.

Tom

Yucca

Nov 19, 2017
France
Thanks for the welcome !

@treitz3 : The Rythmik would certainly be very nice, but I already had a good low end level (up to 20Hz) with my 2 subs a few weeks ago, at the price of big spikes and holes due to room modes.
I modified the subs positioning, as they're now at about 40% length of lateral walls, and now bass is much more punchy, but I lost the low end extension...it's a trade off, I guess. Maybe I could do better, but I don't want to move everything in my living room to know...

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Have you tried placing your subs at tweeter level? You might find a better compromise without having to "move" anything.

Tom

Yucca

Nov 19, 2017
France
No...didn’t try this, maybe I could build 2 risers to see...

In fact, my subs were positioned before like a «*monolithe*» , one on the other to couple them. This gave me a very high level, but not very linear in my room.

Yucca

Nov 19, 2017
France
...some pics :

General view from my chesterfield :
8687594AC79424FF5743C0B3E9F3CCA359A662.jpg

My active Geithain (right) :
402501B715CEDA4CD341ADA3B14F4D02B95086.jpg

Waversa hub, directstream jr and Parasound P7 :
15115459DAD36BB0B54A478652EFE3BB70AFAD.jpg

The Mini is hidden behind cd’s, you can also see the right sub :
95947151B692B436F6446F8AFDF9D238E84D9A.jpg

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
Hi Jeff,

Also from me a warm welcome from a fellow active pro speaker aficionado and Geithain user (901K).

That’s a great system that you have put together there. Can you tell a bit more about the Jack Bybee room neutralizers?

Yucca

Nov 19, 2017
France
Hello, nice to see another Geithain owner ! It’s very rare in my country...I’ve never heard the 901K, but they must be quite fantastic, with the cardioid response...

About the bybee ARN, I bought them also from a German retailer (hifiathome.de, Michael is very kindly and informative), I wanted to try 1, as an immersive imaging has always been my first goal in hifi...and I must say it does the promise. I was so satisfied that I bought a second one. It cancels litterally the walls, and you feel really the acoustic of every recording. The sound field is way more deeper and wider, without losing anything in precision. I can say it’s unequivocally the best «*tweek» I’ve ever tried.

If you can hear these little boxes not far from you, don’t hesitate.

Yucca

Nov 19, 2017
France
...upgrade this morning for my directstream Junior Dac from Huron to Redcloud OS...I received also the Taiko Setchi ground box yesterday, so it’s difficult to say which one improved the sound, but there’s better separation, more analog sound, less distorsion at higher levels, and it seems also tighter bass...so it’s the beginning of a very nice listening week end for me :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing