Dirac Live... second generation

Flak

Nov 16, 2013
Second generation Dirac Live will be previewed at CES and will include improvements of both the algorithm itself and the user interface.

The current version of Dirac Live individually measures the phase of each stereo speaker while the new version also analyzes speakers in pairs.
This improved algorithm ensures that the pair’s phase responses are matched to each other and the upgrade will further enhance Dirac Live’s ability to improve staging and imaging.
The new UI and configuration will be multilingual and more user friendly thanks to a more guided process that confirms the correct actions are being taken and the optimal settings are being implemented.

This second generation paves the way to other additional features and modules that are expected starting Q3 2018 where Dirac will introduce, on a yearly basis, one new Dirac Live “module” that offers unique functionality and allows users to customize their Dirac Live platform based on specific usage requirements and market application – be it home theater, stereo, professional studio, and/or automotive.

This new version will be a free upgrade for users of the current version :)
Here some (not final of course) preview images...
Flavio

Dirac_Live_1.jpg
Dirac_Live_2.jpg
Dirac_Live_3.png
Dirac_Live_4.jpg

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I use the minidsp version of dirac.. I , at this time , cant live without it....will the upgrade be available to me?
I will have my Trinnov ST2 in a week, it should be interesting as I planned to do a back to back shootout of DIRAC and the sT2

Flak

Nov 16, 2013
I use the minidsp version of dirac.. I , at this time , cant live without it....will the upgrade be available to me?
I will have my Trinnov ST2 in a week, it should be interesting as I planned to do a back to back shootout of DIRAC and the sT2

Thanks for your words of appreciation!
The question about miniDSP needs to be answered by miniDSP itself but for sure it won't be available in a week or two as mentioned... I would'nt hold my breath, the standalone version will be released Q1 2018.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I actually wanted to convert my miniDSP dirac (I paid $500 for the software) to a stand alone version , but I cant ....
At any rate .. DIRAC is easy to use and really effective .. folk cant believe the difference when its on or off .. albeit I have yet to persuade some of my more hard core audiophiles to use it .. the measuring and futzing with target curves etc seems to be too complex for them..go figure... some object to the price (those guys will think nothing of spending $5k for a cable) .. some consider electronic eq or room correction as "cheating" and others have analog setups that they would not , under pain of death, digitise the signal

I have a suggestion for dirac live , you need to tack a parametric eq on the end of it as its real difficult to microtune it with the target curve

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
I actually wanted to convert my miniDSP dirac (I paid $500 for the software) to a stand alone version , but I cant ....
At any rate .. DIRAC is easy to use and really effective .. folk cant believe the difference when its on or off .. albeit I have yet to persuade some of my more hard core audiophiles to use it .. the measuring and futzing with target curves etc seems to be too complex for them..go figure... some object to the price (those guys will think nothing of spending $5k for a cable) .. some consider electronic eq or room correction as "cheating" and others have analog setups that they would not , under pain of death, digitise the signal

I have a suggestion for dirac live , you need to tack a parametric eq on the end of it as its real difficult to microtune it with the target curve

Dirac works really well!

I’d also suggest that Dirac allow users to modify distance and phase settings for all speakers, particularly subs, in some “Advanced Settings” tab. Most casual users don’t need that but most hard core users would welcome it.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Dirac works really well!

I’d also suggest that Dirac allow users to modify distance and phase settings for all speakers, particularly subs, in some “Advanced Settings” tab. Most casual users don’t need that but most hard core users would welcome it.
You can modify distance and level settings for all the speakers on-the-fly.

Fitzcaraldo215

Nov 3, 2014

Not really a fair shootout we could all generalize from. The mikes will be in different positions during calibration, among many other things. Still, your anecdotal impressions will be interesting.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
No , it cant be fair objectively , however DSP/Room correction/whatever is not really an objective type of thing , especially as its a blend of psychoacoustics and target curve taste based sonics.
Trinnov also starts at around $8k and dirac is 1/10th the price..also adding to the "unfairness"

I have been paddling in the DSP pool since the mid to late 90's and have used sigtech , tact , lyngdorf room perfect , acourate , dirac , z-sys , behringer , minidsp , Dspeaker, meridian and and and.... so I have a fair idea of what can be accomplished subjectively with DSP/DRC...
So far , I have found that DIRAC is king of the heap..

Fitzcaraldo215

Nov 3, 2014
I am a big Dirac fan myself, though I respect Trinnov, partly based on Kal's excellent reviews.

Yes, DSP room correction is absolutely irreplaceable in my system. I would not be without it. I personally feel it is one of the biggest true audio breakthroughs in recent memory, the likes of which we may never again see to this magnitude.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..as I understand it DIRAC LIVE is a software. Would you mind explaining how it works? I get the Audessy thing and how it works in my HT but I don’t understand how the software interfaces with the hardware...thanks in advance for indulging me

Mogulman

Nov 1, 2015
St. George, UT
Flak, will the new version include separate channel for a sub. I have a 4 channel DAC and would love to integrate the sub in a Dirac Live measurement.

Fitzcaraldo215

Nov 3, 2014
Dirac Live is DSP room correction software, as is Audyssey, Trinnov, ARC, Acourate, RoomPerfect, etc. etc. One key difference between them is which hardware platforms they run on. They generally all use a roughly similar concept of measuring room frequency response vs. a target response curve, then applying that calculated difference to correct the signal's frequency response during playback. Some may also attempt to correct timing, phase, impulse response, etc. However, each tool has very different internal design, user interfaces, controls, etc.

Dirac, perhaps more than others, runs on a variety of hardware. It is incorporated in some AVRs and prepros, like ARcam, Emotiva, or into Rodney's miniDSP device and even some automotive sound units. These different versions may have important differences, such as maximum allowed sampling rate, etc.

I use its PC version, which is a set of apps I purchased and installed together with a necessary, separately purchased, calibrated test mic for about $100. There are two main apps - one to perform the calibration (DLCT), and one to apply the calibrated filters during playback (DAP). My PC uses JRiver for all playback, which feeds the DAP software, which feeds the software driver for my USB DAC. That software chain is straightforwardly configured in the PC.

The DLCT is run with multiple mic positions at and around the listening area. Responses are spatially averaged automatically. Other tools believe that response at a single mic point is sufficient. I don't, but that is another story.

DLCT also allows changing the target curve and building multiple sets of correction filters to taste. I have not found that useful or necessary, and I am happy with their default target curve, which is based on very good empirical research. That curve is not flat, but rather it is smoothly but gradually downward sloping with increasing frequency, as the excellent research suggests. However, DLCT also allows for leaving selected frequency ranges uncorrected, if desired. I use it full range.

The DAP PC user interface allows quick selection from among four prebuilt calibration filter sets for comparison. Some other adjustments, like channel level trims, speaker distance/timing, are also adjustable in the DAP.

I use the 8-channel version of Dirac, but a 2-channel version is also available. Both PC versions support PCM signal at up to 192k. I play a lot of Mch SACDs, and I convert those in JRiver during playback from DSD to 176k PCM prior to the DAP.

I am not familiar with all the other versions of Dirac. On different hardware platforms, some of the features of the PC version may be restricted or eliminated.

I formerly used Audyssey along with the Audysey Pro calibration tool. Audyssey had no version for PC playback, and was built into AVRs or prepros. I am much happier with Dirac Live in sonic performance, and I no longer use a preamp, AVR or prepro in my system, since JRiver and Dirac eliminate the need for one.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
You can modify distance and level settings for all the speakers on-the-fly.

Not in most of the “embedded” implementations like Emotiva, etc.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Not in most of the “embedded” implementations like Emotiva, etc.

I didn't see any specific reference to any implementations in the post but you are probably right about that as my memory of the Emotiva and ARCAM implementations has quickly faded. I use the full software suite daily.

gooddoc

Dec 10, 2017
The Dirac "module" I want to see would improve bass FR mean spatial variance across listening positions. Similar to Harman's SFM. That's the next big leap IMO.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing