Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dirac Live... second generation

Dirac Live... second generation

Second generation Dirac Live will be previewed at CES and will include improvements of both the algorithm itself and the user interface.

The current version of Dirac Live individually measures the phase of each stereo speaker while the new version also analyzes speakers in pairs.
    This improved algorithm ensures that the pair’s phase responses are matched to each other and the upgrade will further enhance Dirac Live’s ability to improve staging and imaging.
    The new UI and configuration will be multilingual and more user friendly thanks to a more guided process that confirms the correct actions are being taken and the optimal settings are being implemented.

This second generation paves the way to other additional features and modules that are expected starting Q3 2018 where Dirac will introduce, on a yearly basis, one new Dirac Live “module” that offers unique functionality and allows users to customize their Dirac Live platform based on specific usage requirements and market application – be it home theater, stereo, professional studio, and/or automotive.

This new version will be a free upgrade for users of the current version
    Here some (not final of course) preview images...
    Flavio

Name:  Dirac_Live_1.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  31.2 KB
    Name:  Dirac_Live_2.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  41.5 KB
    Name:  Dirac_Live_3.png
Views: 135
Size:  83.7 KB
    Name:  Dirac_Live_4.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  35.8 KB
    Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

I use the minidsp version of dirac.. I , at this time , cant live without it....will the upgrade be available to me?
    I will have my Trinnov ST2 in a week, it should be interesting as I planned to do a back to back shootout of DIRAC and the sT2
    Roon/Tidal ..Squeezebox touch . DIRAC...Twin Devialet D Premier amps , Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits .. fully treated room

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gold View Post
    I use the minidsp version of dirac.. I , at this time , cant live without it....will the upgrade be available to me?
    I will have my Trinnov ST2 in a week, it should be interesting as I planned to do a back to back shootout of DIRAC and the sT2
    Thanks for your words of appreciation!
    The question about miniDSP needs to be answered by miniDSP itself but for sure it won't be available in a week or two as mentioned... I would'nt hold my breath, the standalone version will be released Q1 2018.
    Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

I actually wanted to convert my miniDSP dirac (I paid $500 for the software) to a stand alone version , but I cant ....
    At any rate .. DIRAC is easy to use and really effective .. folk cant believe the difference when its on or off .. albeit I have yet to persuade some of my more hard core audiophiles to use it .. the measuring and futzing with target curves etc seems to be too complex for them..go figure... some object to the price (those guys will think nothing of spending $5k for a cable) .. some consider electronic eq or room correction as "cheating" and others have analog setups that they would not , under pain of death, digitise the signal

I have a suggestion for dirac live , you need to tack a parametric eq on the end of it as its real difficult to microtune it with the target curve
    Roon/Tidal ..Squeezebox touch . DIRAC...Twin Devialet D Premier amps , Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits .. fully treated room

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    I actually wanted to convert my miniDSP dirac (I paid $500 for the software) to a stand alone version , but I cant ....
    At any rate .. DIRAC is easy to use and really effective .. folk cant believe the difference when its on or off .. albeit I have yet to persuade some of my more hard core audiophiles to use it .. the measuring and futzing with target curves etc seems to be too complex for them..go figure... some object to the price (those guys will think nothing of spending $5k for a cable) .. some consider electronic eq or room correction as "cheating" and others have analog setups that they would not , under pain of death, digitise the signal

I have a suggestion for dirac live , you need to tack a parametric eq on the end of it as its real difficult to microtune it with the target curve
    Dirac works really well!

I’d also suggest that Dirac allow users to modify distance and phase settings for all speakers, particularly subs, in some “Advanced Settings” tab. Most casual users don’t need that but most hard core users would welcome it.
    Preamps: ADA Reference (multichannel); VTL 7.5 II (two channel)
    Digital: MSB Transport+ Platinum V DAC. Core Audio + MicroRendu streaming; Roon+HQP+FabFilter/Acourate; Trinnov (multichannel)
    Speakers: PRO Audio Technology 2115sm across fronts; 4x 18" PRO subs; 11.4 overall
    Room: Design by Dennis Erskine and Keith Yates. Extensive use of RPG custom bass traps
    Power: Richard Gray 20A UPS and isolation transformer. Triton/Typhon and Sound Application. Shunyata Sigma

Quote Originally Posted by Brucemck2 View Post
    Dirac works really well!

I’d also suggest that Dirac allow users to modify distance and phase settings for all speakers, particularly subs, in some “Advanced Settings” tab. Most casual users don’t need that but most hard core users would welcome it.
    You can modify distance and level settings for all the speakers on-the-fly.
    http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round/

Not really a fair shootout we could all generalize from. The mikes will be in different positions during calibration, among many other things. Still, your anecdotal impressions will be interesting.

No , it cant be fair objectively , however DSP/Room correction/whatever is not really an objective type of thing , especially as its a blend of psychoacoustics and target curve taste based sonics.
    Trinnov also starts at around $8k and dirac is 1/10th the price..also adding to the "unfairness"

I have been paddling in the DSP pool since the mid to late 90's and have used sigtech , tact , lyngdorf room perfect , acourate , dirac , z-sys , behringer , minidsp , Dspeaker, meridian and and and.... so I have a fair idea of what can be accomplished subjectively with DSP/DRC...
    So far , I have found that DIRAC is king of the heap..

I am a big Dirac fan myself, though I respect Trinnov, partly based on Kal's excellent reviews.

Yes, DSP room correction is absolutely irreplaceable in my system. I would not be without it. I personally feel it is one of the biggest true audio breakthroughs in recent memory, the likes of which we may never again see to this magnitude.

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] es347's Avatar
    ..as I understand it DIRAC LIVE is a software. Would you mind explaining how it works? I get the Audessy thing and how it works in my HT but I don’t understand how the software interfaces with the hardware...thanks in advance for indulging me
    Rega P3-24/Custom Plinth/Audiomods Classic arm/Clearaudio Maestro Ebony MM... Lumin S1 music server/DAC... McIntosh C500P Controller/Preamp... McIntosh MC601 monoblocks... Von Schweikert VR5 Anniversaries with Critical Mass System Rize footers... Velodyne Optimum 12 Subwoofers (2)...Cerious Graphene Extreme XLRs... Verbatim biwires... Lessloss PCs...Nordost QB8+QX4...Acoustimac Corner Bass Traps...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast