Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dirac Live... second generation

Flak, will the new version include separate channel for a sub. I have a 4 channel DAC and would love to integrate the sub in a Dirac Live measurement.

Dirac Live is DSP room correction software, as is Audyssey, Trinnov, ARC, Acourate, RoomPerfect, etc. etc. One key difference between them is which hardware platforms they run on. They generally all use a roughly similar concept of measuring room frequency response vs. a target response curve, then applying that calculated difference to correct the signal's frequency response during playback. Some may also attempt to correct timing, phase, impulse response, etc. However, each tool has very different internal design, user interfaces, controls, etc.

Dirac, perhaps more than others, runs on a variety of hardware. It is incorporated in some AVRs and prepros, like ARcam, Emotiva, or into Rodney's miniDSP device and even some automotive sound units. These different versions may have important differences, such as maximum allowed sampling rate, etc.

I use its PC version, which is a set of apps I purchased and installed together with a necessary, separately purchased, calibrated test mic for about $100. There are two main apps - one to perform the calibration (DLCT), and one to apply the calibrated filters during playback (DAP). My PC uses JRiver for all playback, which feeds the DAP software, which feeds the software driver for my USB DAC. That software chain is straightforwardly configured in the PC.

The DLCT is run with multiple mic positions at and around the listening area. Responses are spatially averaged automatically. Other tools believe that response at a single mic point is sufficient. I don't, but that is another story.

DLCT also allows changing the target curve and building multiple sets of correction filters to taste. I have not found that useful or necessary, and I am happy with their default target curve, which is based on very good empirical research. That curve is not flat, but rather it is smoothly but gradually downward sloping with increasing frequency, as the excellent research suggests. However, DLCT also allows for leaving selected frequency ranges uncorrected, if desired. I use it full range.

The DAP PC user interface allows quick selection from among four prebuilt calibration filter sets for comparison. Some other adjustments, like channel level trims, speaker distance/timing, are also adjustable in the DAP.

I use the 8-channel version of Dirac, but a 2-channel version is also available. Both PC versions support PCM signal at up to 192k. I play a lot of Mch SACDs, and I convert those in JRiver during playback from DSD to 176k PCM prior to the DAP.

I am not familiar with all the other versions of Dirac. On different hardware platforms, some of the features of the PC version may be restricted or eliminated.

I formerly used Audyssey along with the Audysey Pro calibration tool. Audyssey had no version for PC playback, and was built into AVRs or prepros. I am much happier with Dirac Live in sonic performance, and I no longer use a preamp, AVR or prepro in my system, since JRiver and Dirac eliminate the need for one.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
    You can modify distance and level settings for all the speakers on-the-fly.
    Not in most of the “embedded” implementations like Emotiva, etc.
    Preamps: ADA Reference (multichannel); VTL 7.5 II (two channel)
    Digital: MSB Transport+ Platinum V DAC. Core Audio + MicroRendu streaming; Roon+HQP+FabFilter/Acourate; Trinnov (multichannel)
    Speakers: PRO Audio Technology 2115sm across fronts; 4x 18" PRO subs; 11.4 overall
    Room: Design by Dennis Erskine and Keith Yates. Extensive use of RPG custom bass traps
    Power: Richard Gray 20A UPS and isolation transformer. Triton/Typhon and Sound Application. Shunyata Sigma

Quote Originally Posted by Brucemck2 View Post
    Not in most of the “embedded” implementations like Emotiva, etc.
    I didn't see any specific reference to any implementations in the post but you are probably right about that as my memory of the Emotiva and ARCAM implementations has quickly faded. I use the full software suite daily.
    http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round/

The Dirac "module" I want to see would improve bass FR mean spatial variance across listening positions. Similar to Harman's SFM. That's the next big leap IMO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12