DAP choice for car audio. Questions.

Gregavi

Dec 6, 2017
Hi guys,
I am planning on buying a DAP to use as my primary source for my car audio which I am currently building that includes a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX HU, a 5 Ch Power Amp, Focal component speakers in front and a Subwoofer. I'm currently using an iPod Classic 80GB loaded with ALAC files as my primary music source. I'm considering replacing the iPod with the Fiio X3 II.

My questions are:
1. Does the Fiio X3 II have the ability to output music to the NEX through it's USB port or only it's 3.5mm port? I ask this because my car audio system currently has a couple of active USB ports but I would have to add a 3.5mm port, which is relatively easy at this point because I have my vehicle currently torn apart in order to do the install.
2. Will this be much of an upgrade SQ-wise going from the Ipod classic to the Fiio X3 II?

Thanks in advance.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Hi guys,
I am planning on buying a DAP to use as my primary source for my car audio which I am currently building that includes a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX HU, a 5 Ch Power Amp, Focal component speakers in front and a Subwoofer. I'm currently using an iPod Classic 80GB loaded with ALAC files as my primary music source. I'm considering replacing the iPod with the Fiio X3 II.

My questions are:
1. Does the Fiio X3 II have the ability to output music to the NEX through it's USB port or only it's 3.5mm port? I ask this because my car audio system currently has a couple of active USB ports but I would have to add a 3.5mm port, which is relatively easy at this point because I have my vehicle currently torn apart in order to do the install.
2. Will this be much of an upgrade SQ-wise going from the Ipod classic to the Fiio X3 II?

Thanks in advance.

While I dont own any of the devices in question a quick read thru the documentation and some other general knowledge of misc things tells me the followi g:

1. Any use of USB out from the mobile device will most likely involve offloading the DA conversion process to the Pioneer
2. Its unclear whether the Pioneer would recognize the Mobile Player once connected via USB (says Apple/Android)
3. The DAC within the Pioneer appears to have limitations on what kind of File type resolutions/bit depths it will play. Higher Bit Rate/Resolution files look to be downsampled
4. I auspect you would need to use the Lineout on the Mobile device since doing so will allow DA conversion to take place within the Mobile device which appears to have better hardware for such purposes
5. Its unclear, but, you may be able to use the "MIC Input" on the back of the Pioneer to plug in your Mobile device. The AUX Input may work also but that one may be more for Apple crap
6. Its unclear about how much Gain the Mobile device has or what the Output Impedance is of its Line Output and whether that would be enough to properly drive the Pioneer via its MIC Input
7. It unclear what the bandwidth is of the MIC Input on the Pioneer which would be important to know if you had to use it.

I could go on but....to make a long story short, I would just use the Pioneer as is but in all honesty it looks like far to "Busy" of a device to expect top quality audio output from let alone taking the automotive environment itself into account. Just my two cents

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
this topic is dear to my heart.

i use a kenwood front end in the car and the analog aux input is fed from a GeekOut v2 DAC.
the sound is greatly superior to using the kenwood internal dac via usb.

what i am looking for, probably in vain, in a car front end that would integrate the external DAC and provide me with a single touch screen for control.
currently i run a sonic orbiter as a upnp server and a cheap wireless AP (both installed in the glove box) and my mobile phone squeezer app is used to choose music.

what i would love is a front end that let me eliminate the sonic orbiter and wifi AP.
i assume this would mean a 'digital output' from the front end and the ability to also select audio from the aux in, all controlled from the front end screen.

any idea if any manufacturer has a front end with a digital output?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing