What are some of the most exotic parts used in high end audio?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Wilson, Magico and others really need to stop spreading rumors that their cabinet are so expensive because they contain bitcoins buried within them :)

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
My speaker paint finish was $550 a quart. 3-step Ferrari paint.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Nothing documented. Just word on the street.

Which street is that? Anyone can throw anything out there but credibility should be based on facts*.

*Political statements excluded. ;-)

caesar

May 30, 2010
In other luxury industries, manufacturers are proud to talk about the extra soft leather their shoes have, the gentle, extra soft fabric their sweaters contain, the amount of hours it took to hand-assemble a piece of jewelry, etc.

Those stories of the exceptional help sell the products! Why are audiophiles so afraid to see their hobby for what it really is?

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Fantastic point mate!

In fact the good wife thinks we audiophiles are all batty! She is OK with the term for as long as I don't become a pedophile... Don't even ask how the heck that term got there.

She introduced me to one of her former work mates, where I actually helped her husband to get a job since he was unemployed for a while. When they came over they noticed the system, which basically takes up 3/4 of the shoe box we currently live in. I wanted to explain what the system was and what it can do... So I started by saying that it is an audiophile system and both of them looked at me totally confused and the chap asked me, "did you say pedophile... System something?..."

That is the final and last dam time I am ever going to explain what the system is and not even bother in trying to explain what a Stat panel is, forget it!
Next time I'm just going to say that it can play tunes clearly, much easier to understand. Also no point in explaining what a tube is, that conversation goes nowhere.

The last time a normal person came over, she nearly threw a glass of water onto the amplifier thinking it was burning up and didn't want our smoke alarms to trip off...
Christ! That would have just made my day!
And it is always the females of the species, either they think I'm nuts when it comes to music/audio expenses and for some reason we are supposed to understand expensive jewelry.

Diamonds... Bloody diamonds, the wife is totally obsessed with them. I told her that diamonds are basically pieces of coal meant to look good! She almost went towards one full week of zero communication and always brings up the fact that I simply spend ridiculous amounts to get better sound... She tells me that the Thomson TT at the post office selling for only $64 is totally better than my analog rig, and probably that the Thomson sounds the same... I didn't talk to her that whole day and the love continues.

Cheers Maties! They always seem to have a point, whiles the guy next door seems to enjoy his Sony boombox to the fullest! 1200w pmpo!
Big woof-RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
I just had the last session at my other mates place with the modified Apogee's.
This time he still hasn't got the kondo amps going but with the heavily modified Sumo amps and other tube gear, the sound was still quite awe-inspiring. I must point out that with the parts used, such as pure silver wire for all cross over points, ksl caps from kondo, Hovland caps, nordost Odin cables and some very high grade connectors, I guess this is what makes the overall sound to be delivered in a true life like form. The added steel bracing for the Apogee's also makes a massive difference in dynamic impact with effortless range and the level of realism is something that I have not experienced from an audio system of this nature. The last sort of realism that I experienced at this level was when I had the mighty Infinity's back in the day... But these designs are now dinasours, completely out dated and out classed by many modern transducers of today.

Speaking of modern transducers, my overall preference is still the CLX's. To me their transparency and natural tone is the most captivating and highly engaging for me. Also it reminds me of a simple solution, although not simple is the design but something that reminds me of a breath of fresh air. And each time I listen to the CLX, it just makes my worries and stress melt away. For that matter, having ML panels driven with Cj amplification gives me the highest level of satisfaction and relaxation. I couldn't be more happier.

As a final note, when I said that this was probably the last time I would listen to the Apogee system... The good wife does not approve of my listening sessions because she thinks that I might go and do some silly purchases and try to get hold a pair and the vicious cycle starts... She just can't trust me in this regard because it has happened on far too many occasions. The last time I thought I had it was when I got the Quads, I told her this would be the last.

Then I met a chap named Kostas and went and listened to his clx's. And now I have Martin Logan's and the cycle continues... I better stop this crazy spending and listen to her after all I wouldn't be able to survive without her. Respect to the better half! You just know it and they put up with all the nonsense in the world of audiophiles...
Cheers to the Mrs!
RJ

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I just had the last session at my other mates place with the modified Apogee's.
This time he still hasn't got the kondo amps going but with the heavily modified Sumo amps and other tube gear, the sound was still quite awe-inspiring. I must point out that with the parts used, such as pure silver wire for all cross over points, ksl caps from kondo, Hovland caps, nordost Odin cables and some very high grade connectors, I guess this is what makes the overall sound to be delivered in a true life like form. The added steel bracing for the Apogee's also makes a massive difference in dynamic impact with effortless range and the level of realism is something that I have not experienced from an audio system of this nature. The last sort of realism that I experienced at this level was when I had the mighty Infinity's back in the day... But these designs are now dinasours, completely out dated and out classed by many modern transducers of today.

RJ

Well, disagree wholeheartedly, especially as your Apogee was neither the Duetta, Diva, FR, or Grands - nor was it restored by Graz/Henk/Rich Murry, nor is the level of Sumo amps clear. Using Kondo amps on apogees sounds like a disaster anyway.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
No Bonz, you have to listen to this highly modified / redesigned system. And like I said before the brands used are only in name, what's inside has been a complete overhaul. In fact the bracing, he got this idea from the way Acoustats are braced. A lot of people here will want to say whatever they think but you cannot judge when you have not even heard the system yourself, I know because I have!
Again as I have mentioned before, this is a complete over haul totally modified system from top to bottom unlike no other Apogee I have ever come across. The amount of money spent is off the roof. In fact there are a number of other elements in there that I am not allowed to divulge, based on respect of his decision not to do so. The Odin was a small hint... There are other areas where possibly the best wires & cables have been used along with active stages... So I think I've said enough. This is a one of a kind system and he does not part take in any audio forums, for certain reasons...

In fact I was introduced to two people based in Sydney who are totally passionate about Avant Gardes. They have both modified their systems towards the Trio omega's, therefore the amplification used and cross overs plus drivers are truly special and custom made to deliver a personal sound that suits only them. Both of them can't be bothered with forums as well for valid reasons...
I enjoy my time on forums because it allows me to learn new things and not "prejudge " as I used to in the past...
Have a good one mate,
RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Getting back to the original subject of this thread... I am not sure why Wilson is being the center focus here?
For what it's worth, since I did spend some time with Wilson's - X2 & Alexia, all I can say is the following :
1. Their cabinet work is second to none. The materials used to brace both Wilson's and magico's have been used for obvious reasons, to make a solid transducer.
2. The designer team along with Dave and others are truly passionate about their designs, hence they want to produce the best even if it involves a whole lot of criticism.
3. The materials used are mostly outsourced across the globe. Therefore, the costs involved in sourcing such materials is dam expensive and on top labor charges plus design cost plus a bit of profit after all these are businesses and not charity projects...
4. Most other designers will stop at a certain point in cost, put it all together and deliver what they think and hope is good allowing sales to prosper. There are a few others who will not stop at only costs, hence they go for all out assaults- Wilson's, magico, rockport, Genesis. Just ask Gary if his cabinetry comes cheap... Or are they very affordable?
They come at a price and it all adds up.
5. Final point- why am I supporting Wilson's designs and other designers who use exotic parts & materials simply because at Conrad Johnson, their main reference speakers are in fact Wilson's!
Cheers to all Wilson owners, basically these transducers are the ultimate in sonic perfection if you can afford it of course.

As for humble folk like me, I am just happy with what I currently have, looking forward to the CLX's perhaps some day.
Big woof! RJ

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No Bonz, you have to listen to this highly modified / redesigned system. And like I said before the brands used are only in name, what's inside has been a complete overhaul. In fact the bracing, he got this idea from the way Acoustats are braced. A lot of people here will want to say whatever they think but you cannot judge when you have not even heard the system yourself, I know because I have!
Again as I have mentioned before, this is a complete over haul totally modified system from top to bottom unlike no other Apogee I have ever come across. The amount of money spent is off the roof. In fact there are a number of other elements in there that I am not allowed to divulge, based on respect of his decision not to do so. The Odin was a small hint... There are other areas where possibly the best wires & cables have been used along with active stages... So I think I've said enough. This is a one of a kind system and he does not part take in any audio forums, for certain reasons...

In fact I was introduced to two people based in Sydney who are totally passionate about Avant Gardes. They have both modified their systems towards the Trio omega's, therefore the amplification used and cross overs plus drivers are truly special and custom made to deliver a personal sound that suits only them. Both of them can't be bothered with forums as well for valid reasons...
I enjoy my time on forums because it allows me to learn new things and not "prejudge " as I used to in the past...
Have a good one mate,
RJ

I am not prejudging mate, your previous post seemed to do a compare across apogees and modern transducers based on the apogee you heard, so I think thought I would clarify. From what you are saying, if the one you heard is not better than many modern transducers, it is not good enough. I accept what you heard regarding the one you heard, but let's not generalize it across other modded apogees.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
What ever floats your boat Bonz...

In fact you're right to a certain extent that is; these are not original studio ribbon arrays. They are and look somewhat similar only from a distance but up close they are a total radical design. I told this chap about the comparisons made on this forum and the claims made about his being not acceptable compared to modded Apogee's he had a good laugh... If only you knew my friend.

You say that you like lamb Kothi roti, that's great! However, if you were to visit my place I will dish out a version of lamb Kr that you have not tried anywhere else in the world. It will be a one of a kind and will not be the original lkr but the dish & experience will be like no other. And this my friend is where I will end, mainly because this thread was originally started by Caesar for something to do with expensive parts and not focused on Apogee's or Wilson for that matter.

Sorry Ceaser, as usual we have gone off the rails again...

Getting back to quality parts, yes I believe quite a lot of designers come up with some very high quality designs in sound and there is another camp you push beyond the norm and go the extra mile along with the extra cost. Kondo, Lamm, Vitus, Wilson, magic, Genesis come to mind, and as I have stated before, I believe they make such designs with one objective in mind, to reproduce the best, that's about as far as it goes.
Cheers to all and the ultra high end!
RJ

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sorry... You are not getting what I am trying to convey... You are listening to modded studio ribbon arrays...

And using that to generalize to other modded duettas, divas, full ranges, and GrandS.

With Sumo and Kondo amps. I can't think of a bigger disparity in set ups. There is no similarity here.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing