Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are some of the most exotic parts used in high end audio?

What are some of the most exotic parts used in high end audio?

One hears of things like $15K+ of fancy glue used in $100K+ wilson speakers, I guess for "better sound" and I assume to justify the big price tags. Or nano-technologies in Magicos, I guess to "eliminate distortions" and impress people from a marketing sense. Or companies developing their own solder that sounds better than anything else.

What are some of the other exotic parts out there?

Anyone mine their own metals?

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caesar View Post
    One hears of things like $15K+ of fancy glue used in $100K+ wilson speakers (...)
    Can you point us a link referring to the "$15K+ of fancy glue"? I would love to have more details about the value of the glue of my speakers!
    Under construction around the DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack and a pair of Wilson XLF's : Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE, cj GAT + Lamm M1.2 ref, TA OPUS MM2 +TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables and CenterStage footers ...

Well these speakers are $5.3 bar ... solid gold enclosures and real diamonds..you need to be a mine owner to buy em...does that count?
    https://www.maxim.com/gear/rivers-to...system-2016-04
    and if you feel that those are too cheap then there are these for EU5bar
    https://www.whathifi.com/news/eu5000...kers-made-gold
    Roon/Tidal ..Squeezebox touch . DIRAC...Twin Devialet D Premier amps , Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits .. fully treated room

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Can you point us a link referring to the "$15K+ of fancy glue"? I would love to have more details about the value of the glue of my speakers!
    Nothing documented. Just word on the street.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    One hears of things like $15K+ of fancy glue used in $100K+ wilson speakers, I guess for "better sound" and I assume to justify the big price tags. Or nano-technologies in Magicos, I guess to "eliminate distortions" and impress people from a marketing sense. Or companies developing their own solder that sounds better than anything else.

What are some of the other exotic parts out there?

Anyone mine their own metals?
    i'd say that Furutech and others, mixing tourmaline crystal powder into housings used for power grid related products is a trend worth watching. the anti-static action caused by the thermal effect of the power grid on that material pays performance dividends everywhere they try it. I predict you are going to see circuit boards and maybe even chassis built with that material and anything that gets warm will allow for benefits. basically if your gear is warm to the touch, then the more of this stuff used wherever they can put it, the better the performance.

i'm not techie enough to see possibly obvious limitations to this direction, but i'll be surprised if over time we don't see this happen.

for myself; i'm adding Furutech 'NCF' IEC connectors to any new piece of gear, or anything that goes back to the factory for upgrades. i'm not messing with it myself, but when I can I will get that upgraded.

no doubt any parts using this so far are very spendy for small items. but I have no idea of the cost of making these parts.
    Wave Kin. NVS tt, AS-2000 ord. (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*MSB Select II dac w/33 Femto clock + mono powerbases, SGM serv + (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darT NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart 458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, *Tripoint Troy Sig + Elite, Entreq Sil Tel + Pos, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kin. A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

I seem to remember that Audio Note used hand wound Capacitors, some using exotic materials.

Currently, they use Silver Wound transformers and of course silver wire in their more exotic tube amps.

TOM...

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Is it a nice way to say sensationalist and probably untrue?

As far as I know Wilson Audio uses an adhesive developed for aerospace because of its excellent mechanical properties, nothing else.

BTW, most electronics in the high-end uses components developed for the military, not consumer electronics components.

IMHO you picked the wrong company to use as an example of your thread - IMHO there are good technical reasons behind the Wilson Audio choices, they are not just fancy or exotic choices. The same for Magico, also as far as I know.
    Under construction around the DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack and a pair of Wilson XLF's : Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE, cj GAT + Lamm M1.2 ref, TA OPUS MM2 +TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables and CenterStage footers ...

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Is it a nice way to say sensationalist and probably untrue?

As far as I know Wilson Audio uses an adhesive developed for aerospace because of its excellent mechanical properties, nothing else.

BTW, most electronics in the high-end uses components developed for the military, not consumer electronics components.

IMHO you picked the wrong company to use as an example of your thread - IMHO there are good technical reasons behind the Wilson Audio choices, they are not just fancy or exotic choices. The same for Magico, also as far as I know.
    I too am bothered by the fact that this thread is started on nothing more than hear say
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    International Distributor of Center Stage Feet and owner of PitchPerfect Sound (www.pitchperfectsound.com)
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Williams View Post
    I too am bothered by the fact that this thread is started on nothing more than hear say
    False assumption. I hope Metaphacts can chime in.

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    False assumption. I hope Metaphacts can chime in.
    nothing is documented but you want to fuel the fire
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    International Distributor of Center Stage Feet and owner of PitchPerfect Sound (www.pitchperfectsound.com)
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast